1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the AFC EAST AND NFC SOUTH take a look at this

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rosco 35, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Rosco 35

Rosco 35 New Member

Oct 12, 2014
    I don't think comparing our team's division goes here but it involves Miami please move this thread mods if you need to.

last night they showed where in the last 10 years every team in the nfc south division has won that division 3 times . that is every team.

now in the AFC EAST how many times has this division been won by someone other then the Patriots ? I don't have the stats right now but it would be safe to say the Afc East has been horrible lately .

does anyone else get tired of the same ole same ole in the AFC EAST? I do and frankly I think the divisions need to be re aligned .

screw tradition and screw the rivalry b.s. nobody ever mentions the dolphins and the term rivalry anymore . and frankly the traditions of three of the AFC EAST teams doesn't really have what you call good traditions.

the need for tradition is hogwash now if we were wining super bowls that might be different . Never the less I rather see the divisions re aligned to make some of the divisions stronger .

I would not be too keen on Miami moving to the nfc but moving to the afc south would be great for us.

I can see the other side to this but would making new rivilrys be a bad thing ? I say hell no , lets try something new so we can build a better tradition .

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Our record over the past decade or so suggests we ought to just move to the ACC Coastal.

3. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I would absolutely HATE moving to another division for a number of reasons, but mainly because I absolutely love the Jets and Pats games. I don't care if anyone calls them a rivalry or not, because they are always highly competitive games that all of us get super pumped-up. So leave us right where we are, playing spoiler to the Pats and making the Bills like like superstars. I'm fine with that, as long as we get those epic games against the Jets twice a year.

By the way, I believe the answer to your question about the last decade is that we won once and the Pats won the other 9. In the past 15 years, the Jets have 1 title, we have 2 and the Pats have the other 12.

Colorado Dolfan and MikeHoncho like this.
  4. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I'd embrace the Phins moving to the AFC South. Seeing them play once a year here in Nashville would be awesome for me, personally. My own selfishness aside, though, a division with three teams from the far Northeast and one from one of the Southernmost stadiums in the league makes absolutely no sense outside of the traditional rivalry argument. Logistically, I don't think the tradition argument has a leg to stand on.

Sure, I'd miss the annual rivalry game with the Jests. However, new rivalries would be just as strong in time. See: The Indianapolis Colts.

5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    I actually think we have some decent rivalries going with the Jets and Pats. Sure they have been a little insignificant lately, but that's our own damn fault for not being a good team.

The best rivalries happen naturally without being forced. Look at NE/IND in the 2000's - that was amazing - different divisions. I'd rather stick with current division setup, and if any realignment happens it should be for geographical reasons - so i guess the AFC south would make sense, but i'm not for it

6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Im big proponent of realignment. I'd like total geographical, but I'll settle for some moving around.

One possibility I see is if the Jaguars move to London. Take the London team and put it in the AFC East with the teams closest to it. Move the Fins to the AFC South to take their place. Geographically, it doesn't make perfect sense, but playing games in Nashville and two domes beats the cold weather guaranteed losses.

Sadly, whoever moves to the LA area will already be playing in a West division so that probably help us get the ball rolling like if it had been Buffalo.

Rosco 35 likes this.
  7. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I love our traditional games but I also see that a move to the AFC South would give Dolfans alot more opportunity to go to the away games and we would have an instant rivalry with the Colts as they were in the AFC East for many years plus maybe we could finally beat the blasted Texans.

jdallen1222 and Rosco 35 like this.
  8. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    They're not going to move the Dolphins out of the AFC East. They would have done it in 2002 otherwise with the realignment. The NFL has already said they enjoy the rivalries we have.

9. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    That's the point. Some of us think it is broken. Some of us feel the Southernmost team in the league belongs in a Southern division, playing against teams in their geographical region.

It's just my opinion. I don't expect it to ever actually happen.

MrClean and Unlucky 13 like this.
  10. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    you can't create or force new rivalries. they happen when they happen, this would be the stupidest thing to do. this might be a stupider post than that guy that wanted to trade our whole team in his 2015 post.

11. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Miami being in the AFC East makes about as much sense as Atlanta being in the NFC West...one of those was changed.

I'm all for the geographically-sensible realignment idea. NFC/AFC doesn't matter to me either, more balance helps the teams and fans. The AFC East opponents, all 3, have a distinct advantage over the Dolphins geographically.

Rosco 35 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  12. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I have absolutely no issue with the Dolphins playing in the AFC East. They have been playing against the teams in their division for over 40 plus years. They used to be the dominant team in the division and I certainly don't remember fans of the Bills, Jets, or Patriots wanting their team to move to another division because they couldn't compete against the Dolphins.

The reason they haven't won but one divisional championship over the past decade is because the Patriots have been better. Instead of changing divisions, the Dolphins need to draft better players and perhaps they will finally catch up with the Patriots.

A few years ago the NFC West was seen as a very weak division. In fact the Seahawks won the division with a 7-9 record not too many years ago. Now it is seen as one of the toughest divisions in the NFL.

So even if the Dolphins were to move to the NFC South division, it doesn't mean that this division won't be one of the best divisions in the NFL in a few years and the Dolphins might end up being in the same situation they are in today.

They don't need to change division. All they need to do is win more games each year and perhaps the Patriots won't have such as easy time winning the division, year after year.

Hellion likes this.
  13. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    I would prefer to leave things as they are. Once upon a time the Dolphins dominated the AFCE much like the Patriots do now but things do change eventually.
    I look foreword to that day for sure.

14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    You realize that when we dominated, the season ended a few weeks after Thanksgiving though, right? Other than the Super Bowl, the season was over by New Years. The likelyhood of very cold, nearly unwinnable games, was much smaller then. In 72, the AFC title game was around New Years! Tell me the last time the Fins beat a halfway decent New England or Buffalo team away late in the season? No other team in the league has to face that difference in climate.

Rosco 35 likes this.
  15. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Winning/losing/dominating really doesn't have much to do with my problem with it...I think it's stupid to have the divisions spread like they are. When they realigned into 4 divisions each conference, I was hoping they'd take Miami out of the East...they removed Indy, which is MUCH closer to the other 3 teams than we are, and they're STILL not close to them.

It's just dumb...there's no big time inner-division rivalries rearing their heads anymore, except maybe the Pats and Jets, and that's only because Rex talks so much sh*t, and the Pats are ALWAYS good. The biggest current rivalry in the league is SF/Seattle...and those would still stay in the same division probably. Pittsburgh/Cleveland isn't what it used to be...since they moved and expanded. Miami/Buffalo of the 80s/90s, gone.

I just think they failed in the last realignment...odds are they won't do it again for a LONG time though, unfortunately.

MrClean and Rosco 35 like this.
  16. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    The alignment doesn't make sense. Miami truly is out of place in the AFC East. More so than any other team in any other division, aside from Dallas. You have 3 north-east teams within driving distance, and then there's miami/Dallas. Road division games aren't much of a trip or change in climate for their rivals. They travel to miami/Dallas once, and rarely is the game scheduled in daytime summer heat. The dolphins/boys however have to travel a 1000 miles into winter weather up to 3 times a year.

17. siderealdaze

siderealdaze New Member

Oct 31, 2014
    I will one day figure out the average distance between the four teams as far as travel goes and compare them to other teams in the league to see if we really are getting screwed travel-wise, but I think swapping Miami and Tennessee makes a ton of logistical sense.

Rosco 35 and P h i N s A N i T y like this.
  18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I felt at the time, and still do, that they took Indy out as a crazy-short minded move to seperate Manning and Brady.

Huizenga and the owners of the Pats, Bills and Jets also apparently pushed hard to keep the four together. If Huizenga had pushed hard to get out, I wonder if we'd have done so, and what the history of the past decade might have been.

19. P h i N s A N i T y

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Its so drastic it's not even necessary to measure! Look how close the teams are in the north divisions. NFC south ! The western Us is more widespread than the East, of course. So The west divisions do some traveling, but look at the NFC west....and now the Rams are front runners to move to LA ! AFC west is at least somewhat balanced in their distances besides Oak/SD. Same for the AFC south.

20. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Heizenga screwed us. Colts should be in the East and we should be in the South. I've said it since it happened. We're at a disadvantage from the other teams in the division.

MrClean likes this.
  21. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Basic math would prove that to be 12 seasons ;p

cuchulainn likes this.
  22. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    bc dolphins v texans/titans/jags would sell as many tickets as 1 dolphins v jets....

23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Nonsense. It doesn't get more East than Miami (not talking about Longitude here, but land). They're on the friggin coast. The one out of place is Buffalo. If you take Miami out of the AFC East you might as well call it the AFC North East.

Kick Buffalo out, take Baltimore in, who is more East than Buffalo.

Plus, playing Buffalo, NYJ and NE is high profile and I like that. Playing Jax, Tenn and Houston is like Single A baseball man. Not in terms of level of competition but hype, media coverage etc. Forget all of that.

Also, have we ever beat Houston yet? No thanks!!!1

cuchulainn and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  24. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    My thoughts on this was not because we can't seem to get by New England...I am not afraid of any of the teams in our division and I known that we WILL take control of the AFC East very soon..it was simply logistical..please do not try to assume that I meant it any other way and I thought that I stated that in earlier post..Thanks..carry on.

25. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I also realize that we have many fans up in the North East and all of you are awesome..Thank you for your loyal support in some very tough venues for our fans..#StrongerTogether

26. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    You forget that Oak/SD have to travel to DEN and KC? If you realign then u should move KC to the AFC south and Houston to the west. Dallas to the Nfc west and Rams to the nfc south put Carolina in the nfc east.

27. P h i N s A N i T y

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    No. You read the post your quoting ? My exact words words : the distance is balanced aside from SD/Oak.
    I personally am not interested in a change. Just pointing out how out of place we are, distance wise, in comparison to our division rivals. Thought this to be the topic to do so.

28. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    OH got it, sorry was taking a quick look as i was sitting in my reading comprehension class.:shifty: Either way the rest of the post stands.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  29. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    I personally would enjoy a rivalry with the teams in one of the SOUTH divisions. Since Miami is after all.. south.

30. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Right, let's move into a division with a team that miami has, never beaten. Then we can lose to the Texans twice every year. Joy.

youre welcome

31. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    He's being tutored by FinD. :shifty:

32. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    The rivalries are great the way they are... geographic differences aside, at least we have 6 division games a year that are sure to be worth getting up for.

33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    LOL!

Not beating the Texans is part fluke, part them having better players a lot of the time. You're really telling me that everything being equal, you'd rather the Fins traveled into a snow storm or ice bowl than go to a dome to play an away game? Seriously?

34. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    If we realigned with the AFC South, will I still be allowed to have a Jests urinal cake for my toilet? That could be the deal breaker...

35. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Totally agree, and thought we should have moved during the last realignment.

36. MrClean

I recall it was offered to Miami the chance to move to the AFC South, but our former owner strongly wanted the team to remain in the AFC East. The Colts were moved instead.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  37. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Thats how I remember it too. When the topic of realignment first came up after the Texans were awarded the franchise, I was so excited. Then "we" shoot ourselves in the foot.

38. MrClean

And it does not get more south than Miami. It makes the most sense to group the teams with those that they are the closest to geographically. Miami with Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and Atlanta. If they keep the teams in their current conferences, then Miami in the current AFC South in place of the Colts.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  39. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Best part. We could have been put in the ASouth but still maintained our hatred for the Jests. It's still an AFC team, and I don't know about you but I hate most AFC teams.

40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Meh. Outside of the division, I only really hate the Ravens and the Raiders in the AFC. Rest of the teams, really fluid who I may root for or against when they play one another.