1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan the man tutoring tannehill.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Oct 29, 2014.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Dan Marino tutoring Ryan Tannehill

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 29, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT

nfl_g_marino11_300
    Getty Images

Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill is getting some tutoring from the greatest quarterback in franchise history.

Tannehill said today that Dan Marino has been studying film with him, giving him pointers and generally acting as a sounding board.

dolphindebby, ASOT, Da 'Fins and 4 others like this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Well most of us feel his current QB coach is useless for that so its a positive.

MikeHoncho, ASOT, Da 'Fins and 4 others like this.
  3. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I think that has more to do with not knowing what the QB coach's duties are than anything else.

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Its more about his being a family member of Sherman with little if any relevant experience.

ASOT, Da 'Fins and Unlucky 13 like this.
  5. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Film study never his strong suit. Marino's that is.

Da 'Fins, Bpk and Fin D like this.
  6. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm so sick of this. Everybody loves to talk about how Danny didn't study film as a player.

Marino knows more about the passing game than anyone in the organization. His assistance to Tannehill will be extremely valuable.

7. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    At this point Tannehill knows more about being a QB than Zac Taylor ever has. and that's saying quite a bit. What is there for him to teach him? "Well in my half a year as "kind of" an NFL quarterback and CFL benchwarmer, I learned....."

ASOT likes this.
  8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Useless doesn't even begin to describe Zac Taylor IMO.

ASOT likes this.
  9. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    this makes me lol everytime i see it posted.

ASOT, resnor, 2xBlown and 1 other person like this.
  10. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    One of Marino's best skills is one of Tannehill's biggest weaknesses. That is maneuvering in the pocket while keeping your eyes downfield. Tannehill can learn A LOT from Marino in this category, and if he gets this down he makes the offense much more effective

ASOT, Da 'Fins and firedan like this.
  11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Dan loved to talk about it. He gloats about it on video.

Bpk and Fin D like this.
  12. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    "I just throw the damned ball to the open man...."

- Bill Walsh quoting Marino when the two were together talking X's and O's

ASOT, Da 'Fins, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  13. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    This is GREAT news and I expected this to happen at some point. When he watches the kid and see some good and some bad in him and or things that can be corrected, It has to push Dan to help. Aside from being one of the greatest of all time, he has so much experience and has seen so much and....he's Dan the Man. This is just great news. I hope it helps.

14. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I always bring this up.

Walsh: "What are you looking at when you snap the ball? What's your first read?(or something like that).
    Dan: "Hey, I just see the open man and I'm gonna' hit him"

I've referenced that many times when discussing what part of Tanne's game needs to improve. Obviously, I'm not expecting him to be as good as Dan, just that he needs a bit of that in his game.

Bpk likes this.
  15. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He said the same thing to I think Huard (did Rosenfels play with him? Too lazy to pick it up). One of them was recounting a story where they asked him for advice, and he said, "just find the open guy and let it rip." I remember reading the article. I don't think Dan was being a Favre either (a prick). That might be all he had to offer :D

Sceeto and Bpk like this.
  16. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    great news, only good things can come from this.

as for dan and not watching film, who cares? not everyone is wired the same way. some people can go in and take a test and ace it without studying before hand and others need to study. mark sanchez remarked about how much film he watched every week and it didnt amount to a piss hole in the snow for him. if you have nothing between the ears in terms of football knowledge, watching film isnt going to amount to jack ****, im pretty sure dan turned out alright.

17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Awesome, that should come in real handy when Ryan Tannehill faces an defensive coordinator that has been frozen in ice for the last two decades, or if it turns out Marino's release and pocket presence were actually a result of some sort of communicable virus or something.

Seriously, Dan needs to enjoy his retirement. His abilities don't make him qualified to do anything other than throw a football, and spending a decade doing an adequate job fake laughing through warmed over football platitudes on CBS isn't exactly building on that. He's way more likely to tarnish his legacy than he is help us out.

18. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Tannehill's obviously not being taught how to manage any sort of collapsing or un-clean pocket.

Would you suggest staying the course with Taylor's mentoring? Because that seems to be leading to the same statuesque QB we've been seeing for 3 years.

If there's one thing I'm more than comfortable with Marino teaching Tannehill, it's this. And this is a skill he had in the 80s and 90s that would still be very relevant today

19. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I personally do not think Tannehill has ANY issues from an X's and O's standpoint. I think his biggest issue may be his inability to act quickly when plays do not maturate to what it was designed look like on the chalkboard.

It seems as though he is getting better at going through his progressions, but the full trust (either in himself or his teammate) is not entirely there yet.

But there is hope.

One play that stands out that he is becoming more "trusting" and is getting a better feel for the game was the 3rd and 7 play deep in their own territory in the 3rd Quarter against the Jags. He went deep to Mike Wallace for a 50 yard gain. What makes this special is that he had the opportunity, and a smart one, to make that throw. The risk vs reward was in his favor!

At that point, Miami was up 17-6. It was later in the third, and IF it's an INT, it equates to a punt.....basically (hoping the defender does not pick-6 it).

He also gives Wallace a chance to make the play. He wins, win-win for them. He misfires, they punt anyway. But that play heightened the trust between the two, because eventually, Miami scores the touch going up 24-6 later in the drive.

It was a great "feel for the game" toss by Tanny given the circumstances, which gives me hope for him. I am not sure Tannehill makes that throw last year.

Do I want him to fully understand the offense? Of course. But in the end, it doesn't matter if the supposed mismatch isn't there. What truly matters is finding the "open man" (who may not always be "open") and allowing your playmakers to make plays. He gave Wallace a chance to make a play, and it worked. And the team ultimately scored because of it. Smart throw. I am encouraged.

DolfanTom likes this.
  20. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Translation: I drop back, go through my progressions, scan the field, look off the safety, and throw it to the resulting open man. But I don't feel like saying all this, so let me just substitute it with: I just throw it to the open man.

20 years later, people think Dan Marino is/was dumb as a box of rocks still over this quote. Sigh. It's naive at best to think this guy was as good as he was by sleeping all week and going out on Sundays and just throwing it as hard as he could to guys in the same color uniforms

21. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I do not think anyone is misinterpreting the quote; albeit, a great one at that.

What I think is great about it, is ultimately, a QB must find the open man; damn the X's and O's.

To think some beleaguer Dan because of the quote may be to the naivete of others....

22. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't like that our QB coach's greatest qualification was ****ing Mike Sherman's daughter, but I'm really not at all thrilled with Ross shoving Marino into the mix. I'd much rather we fired all our coaches and hired real coaches.

Marino has no coaching experience. He has no teaching experience. He's not particularly intellectually gifted. We have no proof he's invested himself in learning the Dolphins offense to any meaningful level, or the modern game, and he appears to have no actual oversight outside of passing a smell-test with Stephen ****ing Ross.

And meanwhile, what happens when we get a new coaching staff? Are we expecting to hire someone with Dan Marino floating around coming and going as he pleases dropping nuggets of wisdom?

23. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    You must truly love the taste of urine and cornflakes.

LI phinfan and GARDENHEAD like this.
  24. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Sports can be very much about confidence, decisiveness, strength of will sometimes. Sometimes less eloquent sayings can still be profound. I'm not claiming to be a QB expert but maybe that is what can rub off from Marino. Harbaugh the QB whisperer seems to have a little of that too.

Yeah there are geniuses like Peyton, but there's also QBs like Rogers, Rivers, Flacco, and old school like Favre and Marino that are damn successful flinging it around and not being paralyzed by overthinking.

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    In what way are you qualified to not only give us the context of a conversation you weren't present for and on top of that, speak to what another person you don't personally know actually meant? Please list your qualifications......

While you're at it, explain to us how Bill Walsh got the context and point wrong.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  26. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    The same qualifications you have for constantly stating he wasn't good at film study based on a few one liners.

Give me a break

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

27. OkiePhin

OkiePhin Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    How many QB's have coaching experience or teaching experience? Yet we always develop QB's under another QB. We didn't fire the current QB coach and put Marino in his place. Marino is giving pointers.. Not intellectually gifted? Please tell us how much about being a QB Dan doesn't know.. It's not like he is teaching #17 quantum physics. We have no proof he hasn't invested himself in learning the Dolphins offense, or the modern game(whatever that is supposed to mean). Would it even matter? I think it's wise for any coaching staff to allow former greats to mentor current athletes. Now throw in one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game to help out Tannehill and you ***** about it.. Screwball...

28. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm not seeing how that translates to useless.

29. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    If Marino sees Tanny doing something that Is hurting his play and Marino, from his experience, makes a suggestion that Tanny shouldn't do it, or should do something different, Tanny will benefit. It doesn't matter how simple the tip is, or how smart Marino is, or how good a teacher he is.

30. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    The game has changed a lot since Marino played, as some have pointed out you can't really teach the things that made Marino a great QB, and there's the question of whether Marino's advice would mesh well with what Tannehil's coaches are teaching him. I'm not opposed to him sitting with Tannehill but I don't think its something that will move the needle significantly.

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No.

I actually have evidence, you have....um....

32. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Lol, what a mountain full of evidence you have. 3 sentences.

I have way more evidence. How about the fact that he broke every major passing record and was light years ahead of ALL his peers in all major statistical categories during his era. Impossible to do on just talent and quick release alone at the QB position

33. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    The game has changed it how it's officiated and how defenses are allowed to play sure, but really isn't it about identifying man or zone, throwing when X number of defenders are in the box, and running when there is the opposite, identifying blitzers, identifying safety help, etc? Most of the concepts are still the same I would think. Not every football concept is rocket science and you have seconds to identify these things.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Puh-leaze. That doesn't prove anything you think it does. That's just you assuming things based on your own ideal.

There's more than 3 sentences. We have quotes from Marino and other players/coaches. The absolute worst part of all this, is that you're to pissy to realize this makes his accomplishments even more amazing.

35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Because nost consider his job a favor rather than earned. Plus it took Lazor conibg in to correct some mechanical flaws. It just doesn't look great.

36. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    My experience with professors, teachers and instructors, tells me Dan Marino would be a terrible coach. I had professors that were so brilliant but, as a result they couldn't teach. Things came so easy to them in their schooling that, they just didn't know what it was like to struggle with learning. They taught as if you already knew the material. I see the same in Dan, in that he never really had to learn. He just did it. In fact, his Pitt coach early on told him to "never let anyone tell you how to throw the ball". So, no one ever did. Yet now some want him to teach that to someone else? Those who played with him say he was great mostly because he saw the field like no other. He saw everyone on the D, and could process them all quickly. Yet another unteachable trait.

I'm sure Dan could give Tanny some cool pointers, and maybe even instill some confidence by hanging out with greatness.

37. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I have not been on the Forum long but you Sir are the most negative poster here..maybe you and the23rd can get together and bash Marino all you want but in the Forum you are fighting an uphill battle. Furthermore, that's why Tanny has so much trouble with the deep ball is he tries to think to much instead of letting her rip. Danny's work habit did'nt seem to bother Shula so why does it bother anyone else?

38. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL

Well said. The key point about Marino, imo, is he had phenomenal instincts for the game. It just came very instinctively to him. He knew what he could do and he reacted instinctively - that included the reads and progressions but it was natural for him.

I think Marino knew more than we think. But, I don't think the years away from the game will hurt. He still has been watching football. And, quite often, when you step away from the grind, things have a way of settling in your mind and you see the big picture better. This is why historians often write their best material when they are older - they have an ability to let information settle and can see connections that weren't envisioned early on. I think that can work in the same way and can be of benefit to RT.

Additionally, what Marino can offer is what it's like to translate from the film to the field. How he saw things from the pocket. It may only be minor nuances rather than a really big picture that Marino brings to RT. But, quite often it is those small things that can make a difference between a sack and a released pass or an INT versus a receptions.

So I don't see why there would be anything but positive from this.

Eop05 likes this.
  39. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Yes, and at the same time if Tanny does not learn to see the whole field he will never be a really good QB. Did you get the pleasure of watching Marino dissecting defenses? I think he watched plenty of film..He completely destroyed the most complex defense of his time..Chicago's vaunted "46"

Da 'Fins likes this.
  40. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Ask Peyton Manning who he thinks was the best. He has said it on more than one occasion.