1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking Ahead 2015/The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    First the Good: Lot of promising young talent on the roster, even some potential greatness IMO.

The Bad: A LOT of difficult decisions are going to have to be made. Some of the young guys are going to want contracts.

The Ugly: Dolphins are projected to be 1.5 mil over the cap in 2015. Some bloody hideous cuts are going to have to be made including the coaching staff from my perspective. Unsightly controversial trades as well.

My Pick for HC is Malzahn with Nick Saban protege Kirby Smart hired as DC. They can keep or replace who ever they want.
    I would assume Smart would run a similar 3-4 hybrid as what Bama does.

Hartline: A mistake not to trade him att his year's deadline. There were a few teams out there really thin at WR who had plenty of cap; we may have actually received a pick for him. Next off-season his salary makes a trade impossible. and he will have to be cut. He is nowhere near a 7 million dollar man. Dolphins save over 3 mil cap 4.2 is dead.

Ellerbe: The advent Jelani Jenkins renders Ellerbe obsolete, especially with a cap hit of over 9 mil. Dolphins save 5 mil cap 4.2 is dead.

Finnegan: Another trade prohibitable salary. Fins save 5 mil 1 mil dead

Brandon Gibson: Obviously Landry is the future at slot receiver. Dolphins save 3.5 mil, 1 mil dead

Starks(trade)Still a very good player and even with a high salary still has trade value. Fins save 5 mil 1mil dead. Early 4th? I envision a move to a base 3-4/hybrid defense. I don't see Randy as versatile as he once was, Not a fit imo.

Pouncey: (trade)Sorry, but I just don't like him and I don't want him to be a part of the Dolphins future. Let somebody else give him his fat 6 year contract. I think he would make an excellent Raider. Fins get an early 2nd and save 7.3 mil

Garner: Cut; Fins save 1.5 mil

Brandon Fields: Cut, Fins save 3.5 mil and say hello to a new punter. Fields isn't coming close to earning this kind of money.

Olivier Vernon: (trade) I know he is a great young player and I know he would project well at 3-4 OLB, but then what of Dion Jordan and Chris McCain? Besides I greatly covet Brock Osweiler and Vernon might be just the right peice to pry him away from Denver. The Broncos will be beyond cap broke after they bring back Bebe and Julius Thomas. It is already a foregone conclusion they will let Welker and Chris Harris walk. DeMarcus Ware is old and Derek Wolf is injury prone. The Broncos know they can't keep Osweiler. He is a FA in 2016 and Manning is showing no signs of fading.

Look it appears Ryan Tannehill needs a foot in his ***. Well here is a great big one coming off a 6'8" inch frame. Frankly, I think Osweiler just might surpass Tannehill in OTA's. Osweiler already had all the talent and now with a couple years under Peyton Manning's tutelage I would expect great things.

Our FA's: The only UFA of note that I would bring back is Satele for a 2 year contract at the same or close to the same as we gave him this year. I like him for depth even if he isn't a starter next year.

Definitely tender RFA Shelby and bring back our erfa's. I have hunch AJ Francis is going to make a move and earn some snaps in next year's rotation. Love Michael Thomas and we might have something with Lowell Rose? Sammy Seamster?

FA acquisitions: With the money saved from cuts and trades and the roll over from 2014 the Dolphins may have just enough to build something great. My wild estimates were about 42 mil cleared by the cuts and trades with 15 mil dead leaving 27 mil and add the 9 rollover and you have roughly 36 mil for our FA's,rookie pool,acquisitions. I would spend almost every penny; why not? with all that dead money coming off the books along with Wheeler in 2016 along with reductions in some of the bigger cap hits they might as well go for it.

FA's: Ndamakong Suh is expected to hit the market but apparently the New York rumors were poppycock. I suppose 6 years, hundred mil ,50 guaranteed???
    I don't even like the guy but he is the consensus godzilla disruptor; double teamed on almost every play from scrimmage, he completely changes games. His presence could make the rest of the DL look like world beaters and Cam Wake doesn't need much help.

Michael Roos LT....Radical, I know; moving Brandon Albert to LG already. Maybe in a couple years some would say but I say the opportunity is now! Roos got shafted in Tennessee in a big way. The guy has ranked in the top third of the league year after year and they go and bring in Michael Oher and draft Taylor Lewan and then he gets the bad break of a knee injury on top of that so he can't even prove himself to get another contract somewhere else. Wicked bad luck! I would imagine the guy is super pissed off and will be carrying a huge chip on his shoulder come 2015. PFF had him ranked 11th when he went down. The knee wasn't even that bad. He should easily be 100% by camp next year if not sooner. An incentive laden 3 year deal should get it done. The market will be huge in determining his price, I can't even speculate.

Kenrick Ellis NT....Quintessential behemoth 0/1 technique, gotta have one. Risky player, boom or bust guy. Hopefully he has grown up and matured or is ready to do so. He shouldn't cost much, he got beat out for snaps with the Jets after talk of him having a breakout season in 2014, but the word is the other guys are just really good.

Charles Tillman DB...I would actually pay Tillman over his market value if he would agree to aggressively mentor the young guys. Tillman's character is stellar, and his history of violence is legendary. If anybody could lead a bunch of young DB's to the promise land of forced fumbles and interceptions it is Tillman. I wouldn't care if he never saw the field.

Dustin Keller TE....It doesn't appear Keller will make his comeback this year but God help him I hope he can get his legs back and make some history for himself next season. I'd give him a shot anyway. He won't get any money at this stage.

Draft: Trading down in the 2nd and acquiring a 3rd. The 7th for Jonathan Martin and I took a 7th round comp pick.

1st...............Todd Gurley RB...based Rob Rang's mock over at CBS Draft.
    2nd...............Jeremy Cash S....Duke brainiac with nice size. Part of building a smarter defense
    2nd...............Tony Lippett WR...Yes, he is currently rated a 4th round pick but he just continues to get bigger,stronger,faster. He may run a 4.3 next spring. Lippett is a very intelligent high character guy, a rarity amongst most WR's. He would fit in well with Landry and the new more serious Mike Wallace.

3rd..............Jesse James TE.....Freak, may have to trade up. Grossly underused at Penn state IMO and Hackenberg is a no talent nincompoop, IMHO. I like James to start from the get go.
    3rd..............Eric Rowe CB........Continues to be mostly ignored, I don't get it. Another honor student who may run a 4.3 and who has prototypical size and length. Another cog to a smarter defense that can handle more complexity.

4th ............Miles Diffenbach Center/OG Enormous man crush here. If not for the injury he is probably at least a 2nd round pick. Stellar character,super smart, all the tools. I think he could win the starting center position out of camp.

4th............Vince Mayle WR Big man, catches lots of balls, unusual path to the draft

5th............Brett Boyco LT Great developmental project here. Canadian who came out of HS as a QB. Prototypical size and a great athlete and another honor student with a double major. Tons of upside here. Lindy's top pass blocker MWC.

6th...........Connor halliday QB The next Tom Brady!....naw,uh ah

7th...........Mike Hull ILB/ST's/SS How is the guy rated to be an URFA??
    7th...........Xavier Williams DT Man amongst boys at the small school level. I like these DT's who were good wrestlers in HS
    7th...........Corey Grant RB, Burner. One of Gus's guys from Auburn
    URFA..........Richard Leonard CB Small school kid breaking all TY Hilton's ST's records, and he has 5 interceptions already to boot. I have to believe his stock is going to eventually soar.
    URFA...........Spencer Roth P I'm sure they will be bringing in a few punters
    URFA...........Nick Boyle TE/LS PS Would probably compete with Arthur Lynch to replace John Denny at LS in 2016.

Roster:
    QB.........Tannehill,Osweiler,Halliday
    RB..........Gurley,Miller,Williams,Grant
    TE/FB/H-back...Jesse James,Dustin Keller,Dion Simms,Harold Hoskins
    WR...............Wallace,Lippett,Landry,Mathews,Mayle,Hazel
    OT................Roos,James,Boyko
    Center/OG....Albert,Satele,Turner,Diffenbach,Dallas Thomas

DL.........Suh,Mitchell,Ellis,Fede,AJ Francis,Xavier Williams,Johnson
    OLB's........Wake,Jordan,Shelby,McCain
    ILB's.........Misi,Jenkins,Wheeler,Tripp,Hull
    Safeties.....Jones,Cash,Thomas,Aikens
    CB's..........Grimes,Taylor,Rowe,Davis,Tillman,Rose,Seamster

Kicker.....Sturgis??
    Punter......Roth??
    LS.....Denney

Obviously I sacrifice some good players like Odrick and Charles Clay in order to make the move for Roos and Suh.

This look puts a pretty big weight on Billy Turner and Terrence Fede to really step up. If they could, it would mean having both an elite DL and OL, which is the road to the super bowl for teams without Manning,Brees, or Rogers IMO.

I just think this organization needs to get ruthless and take some risks to at least have a chance at bringing some greatness to this team. Then cultivate continuity and group cohesiveness.

LBsFinest likes this.
  2. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Couldn't even get halfway through the season before a 2015 thread popped up. This is way too much work for Week 9 of the previous season.

Alex13, mullingan and Sikone like this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Broncos aren't trading Osweiler. I wanted to draft him, but all reports from Denver are that they consider him the QB of the future after Manning.

4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Its customary and good manners to wait for the patient to die before dividing up or selling off his property.:wink2:

5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Ugly:

Starting a look forward thread at exactly the midpoint of the season while your team is fighting for a playoff spot.

Alex13 and djphinfan like this.
  6. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I rather get rid of Dion before i get rid of Oliver..

77FinFan and thisperishedmin like this.
  7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    yeah me too. That would be nuts to keep jordan over oliver

8. Dolfan330

Dolfan330 My wein is so chaffed...

Jan 25, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The timing for this thread is pretty ridiculous. Context as well. Trading someone just because you don't like them? Come on, man.

9. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

No offense...and on the surface I agree, but...how do we really know?

Dion Jordan actually played pretty well his first game back. Had two tackles, a special teams tackle, a QB hurry. Also, we have quite a rotation on DE. If he didnt practice very well before hand...he would never have sniffed that much playing time with Philbin.

10. Marino1384

Marino1384 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    " miami fans, your team has just won 2 straight games, what do you plan on doing"

Miami fans response " well jim i plan on making a thread on message boards talking about next year because even though we arent half way through the season its time to discuss who our next qb and coach will be"

11. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    You've got to be kidding talking about trading Vernon.

Conuficus and Kud_II like this.
  12. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Wut r Oliver?

13. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    If we go back to the 3-4 another NT option is another Jet, Damon Harrison, though he could be a bit harder to acquire since he's a restricted FA, but if Rex is gone who knows if the new coach/DC will value him as much as other teams might, he was undrafted so an original round tender means no draft pick lost should NY choose not to match the offer.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Oliver Vermin dude. That guy is a best.

15. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    The funniest part is its "Philbinfan" talking about the next head coach haha

Bumrush likes this.
  16. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    well i applaud the effort in putting this up, although i disagree on a lot, especially trading vernon and some other stuff, but this thread is around 3 months to early

77FinFan likes this.
  17. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    it was good for some laughs. served it's purpose well.

18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah I'm sorry, this is white noise, can't go there, too many variables to try and predict..how bout going to the charger game, have no inhibitions, arrive early and scream your *** off..have some fun, take a chance, forget the past, help the team try and get over the hump.

19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    its when I stopped reading, the thought is so unprofessional and wrong on so many levels, its amatuer.

20. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Couple of things we have to consider as well. Did we roll over the remainder of our cap into next year as we have done previously? Also, some of your roster moves are just not sensible.

21. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yeah no kidding. Good job wasting your time, kid.

22. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    [video=youtube;R6PkDHuaXi8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6PkDHuaXi8[/video]