1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins' big-play defense indicative of positive trend toward success

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Oct 27, 2014.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Its easy to focus on the negatives but we should give credit to the positives too.

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/st...delmas-big-play-defense-positive-trend-102714

We have to ask ourselves if those two intercepcions had not been pick 6s whether the game would have been so lopsided.They were daggers in the Jags morale IMO.:yes:

RickyNeverInhaled and ToddPhin like this.
  2. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Cool stat and thanks for sharing! I just know that turnover differential is pretty important for wins so if we can keep getting interceptions and recovering fumbles we'll be in business. If we recover that Aaron Rodgers fumble that game is sealed. They usually make the difference.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

Yeah, we had two pick sixes, a forced fumble, a blocked FG and didn't allow a touchdown until garbage time, but hell, we couldn't stop their running back from gaining 100+ yards on the ground.

Now, you take your damn positive attitude and get the hell out.

Some of us still need time to grieve over this piss-poor victory.

4. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I'll take a win like this any day knowing how many games we lost in similar fashion in the past.
    But it's kinda hard thinking if we play like we did last game the next several weeks, we will win against those opponents though.

5. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

How often do the Pats play a crap game and still come out on top? Quite a bit over the years. We usually lose when we get outplayed on the whole, we didn't yesterday. It ended up pretty close by the end, but IMHO we got slightly outplayed.

I'll take it and hope it's anomalous...the defense was getting gashed all day long...the O line was more like Weebles (Colledge was selfish...really pissed me off what he did)...STs are still sub-par (Sturgis barely made that FG...punts still suck, although coverage was better). Some areas showed slight improvement...some declined a bit. Many teams do the same from week to week, not too worried about it yet (Saints have been a dumpster fire, looked all-world last night...Colts D was tearing it up this year, then Rapeistburger channeled his inner Marino). We lay a few stinkers over the next 4 games and ouch. I won't expect it though, but I'm the eternal optimist.

6. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Refreshing after years of "bend but don't break" predictable vanilla defenses built to stop the run. There was a 5 year stretch where our defense couldnt make a game changing play if it landed in their laps. Our DBs were primarily cover guys that would get beat 100x before making a play. (W.Allen, S.Smith especially) Our LBs were the same story. Burnett made more plays in one game than Dansby did his entire time here.

Coyle has us resembling Zimmers defenses in cincy, the ones that always found ways to make plays and would give the patriots fits, somehow. Our strengths compare to those of Seattle's, which is the recipe for success. Army of pass rushers, elite secondary, scheme to aid LBs vs backs and TEs. You've got to get past Manning,Brady,Rodgers,Brees, etc. to be the champs. If your not built to stop them than why bother ? I think our defense is what makes us a better team than most of the AFC contenders who rely on their Qb too much to win shootouts. (SD,PIT,IND,NE) Teams like us, KC, even Buffalo can smack them around.

7. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I hate to rain on the parade, but the pick 6s were on bad throws by a rookie who has been throwing lots of interceptions.

When the D starts doing that regulalrly against QBs like Brady, Radgers and Rivers that is when I will get excited.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  8. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I agree with the first part, but in fairness, the DID do that against Brady and Rodgers this year. No picks against Rodgers, but still held him in check for the most part.

Larry Little, MAFishFan and 77FinFan like this.
  9. Kucha

Kucha Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    That huge interception return average makes me wish we were playing Geno Smith and the JESTS next week. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I'm not saying the D played badly in those games, just that they didn't come up with the game changing big plays. Getting some big plays on Blake Bortles and some anonymous guy off the street in a Raiders jersey is nice, but not an indication that we have a D that is to be feared, not just respected.

11. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Well, you better brace yourself for disappointment, because that's asking for an awful lot.