1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's really that concerned about the Offence after the Jags game?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DolPhinPhan7, Oct 27, 2014.

1. DolPhinPhan7

DolPhinPhan7 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I was listening to some tool on The Ticket 590 named Eric Reed saying that this isn't a playoff team, based on yesterday. I can't stand this asshat! No one can realistically be a fan of a team and be that negative.

The fact that they played relatively poorly and still won comfortably says a lot.

One of the main reasons that the Jags dominated Time of Possesion was because of the Delmas Pick 6. Long drive, Pick 6, another long drive. It kept the offense off the field. Had the defence got owned by quick drives (like we saw just about every drive during the Steeler v Colt) game I imagine we'd have seen more from the offence in the first half.

The Jags are a bad team but they have a good defence. Regardless the Phins recovered and moved the ball effectively for most of the second half and could have ran up the score if they want.

Want a place to criticize? What about the Defence's 3rd down efficiency? What about the fact that Denard Robinson had a great game? What about the fact that the Jags led several drives deep into Dolphins territory? No one is talking about that because of 2 pick 6's and 4 sacks. The Dolphins sacked Alex Smith several times yes couldn't stop Kniles Davis when it mattered.

No one is talking about the Patriots almost losing to the horawful Jets a few weeks ago. A win is a win, they need to move on. They've played good teams well, they're playing 4 good teams in a row. If they can get a split they're well on their way to making the playoffs.

These pessimists are pissing me off, they're playing fine. Much better than last year and people are still finding reason's to freak out. Just enjoy the win.

Pandarilla, Piston Honda and BSQ like this.
  2. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    They might be a playoff team, barely. But unless they get hot and stay consistent, it's not a deep playoff team.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Of course, if I could wave a magic wand the Dolphins would go undefeated and win the SB every year.

In reality though, I want progress. Progress across the board, with individual players, units and W/L records. I never expected us to win a SB this year so if we make the playoffs and bow out early, so be it, there was still progress.

Larry Little and mullingan like this.
  4. DolPhinPhan7

Apr 26, 2012
    4 games in a row the Phins have put up 24+ points. This team would have dreamed about that last year. 24 points would have won them 3 extra games, at least, last year.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    if your not getting better your getting worse..of course there are concerns when you put up a first half performance like that..now as a fan you can just ignore it and be happy, or you can suggest your opinons as to how you would help solve some issues that were obviously having as an offense.

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    56 yards in the first half..

might wanna compartmentalize the win and figure some sh"" out..Im sure thats what our coaching staff is gonna do, and hopefully thats what our players wanna do.

ckparrothead likes this.
  7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    umm, our defense scored 14, I thought this was an offensive question.?

Eop05 likes this.
  8. DolPhinPhan7

Apr 26, 2012
    Sure but you can't just take those 14 points off the board when talking about a complete team performance.

No one is talking about how the Jags stayed on the field for so long because the Dolphins couldn't get off the field on 3rd down; several times.

People just see the 2 Pick 6's and give the game to the Defence. What if Delmas doesn't go all the way and Tannehill comes on the field and gets a score? People forget that first half.

Once adjustments were made to stunt to pass rush the Dolphins did fine.

9. Rosco 35

Rosco 35 New Member

Oct 12, 2014
    I don't think a person who is honest should catch hell and I don't know this guy ,however he might be right there are two problem areas with this team one is the defensve coordinator the other Philbin those two just are not capable of beating the real good teams , sure it isn't imposable , but reality is we just beat the worst team in the league so why would we pat ourselves on the back for a win that we are supposed to win ?

sure we beat the patriots but the first half was horrible and we lost to the Bills three times in a row.

we really need to beat the Bills and sweep the jets before we pat ourselves on the back.

had we lost yesterday our season would have been over with right there.

I admire the positive attitude of the O.P. but the Jaguars are the worst team in the league . our coach is still not using our best players to where it benefits us.

could we make the playoffs well I had predicted a 9-7 and first rd playoff but I just don't think we will get there with this coach but we do have some talent.

10. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    or we micromanage it to death in a half where we had 2 pick sixes and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down, sure the 56 yards were a disaster, but having a LG playing with a migraine (i don't know why the trainers would let him play with this anyways) and killimg 2 drives with 2 allowed sacks changed the game offensively bigtime imo

11. DolPhinPhan7

Apr 26, 2012
    Last year a 4-4 Dolphins team lost the winless Bucs in the wake of the bullying scandal. They still rallied with wins against the Pats, Steelers and these Chargers they're facing this week.

Ultimately the season was a failure because of the last two games.

They have 3 easy games (2 vs the Jets and the Vikings) If they do win those games they have 7 wins. Then they need to win 2 or 3 games against good teams.

12. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    and if the the D scored all 27 points yesterday, it counts as 27 points for the miami dolphins, so it doesn't matter how the scoring happened, again the miami dolphins scored 27 points which makes it 24+ a game for several weeks, so the progress is definately made

MAFishFan likes this.
  13. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    the vikings game for sure wont be easy as will be 2 divison games against the hated jets

14. DolPhinPhan7

Apr 26, 2012
    They're games against bad teams that the Dolphins "should" win. Much like yesterday's game.

FTR the Jets have the same record as the Jags.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    so I know your stance, your not concerned with our offensive performances this year..

well, I'm concerned because I think there are ways to improve it without adding talent to it, and folks are scared to go there or simply don't see the pay off....we've started to go in that direction, and its paid off in spades..Time to up the annie.

16. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I'm concerned.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Change #1: DO not start Right Guard with migraines.

Pandarilla likes this.
  18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not concerned because we've played really well at times on offense this year. That means we are capable of doing it more.

Kud_II likes this.
  19. DolPhinPhan7

Apr 26, 2012
    Sure I think they can improve. But Tannehill has played very well 6 of 8 halves in the last 4 games. I think being optimistic here isn't just being a fanboy.

Fin D likes this.
  20. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Or you can give some credit to the opponent, they have NFL players too.

Pandarilla and Fin D like this.
  21. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Yes by god...lets just run Ryan 25 times a game. All the sudden Daryn College will stop having migraines, Brian Hartline will stop dropping passes, and maybe the 10 attempts Tannehill does make to throw...he will complete at least 50% of them via 65 yard deep bombs to Wallace.

Who would have thunk it would be so easy?

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Everyone ought to be concerned about the offense. I think we're a little beyond the point to claim the low passing efficiency is just a function of acclimation and that reversion to the mean will see us do better.

If this is what they are, it isn't good enough. The AFC playoff picture is tough. For all the excitement about Miami being 4-3 they still have 8 teams with higher playoff standing, a 9th team that is tied but loses the tiebreak by half a conference game, and a 10th team that is half a game back from us.

That's a lot of competition for the playoffs. We can't do this at 9-7 and that's why I think the concerns about the pass offense have to be considered valid. This team needs to be at least a 10-6 team.

Mile High Fin and ssmiami like this.
  23. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Not much to figure out. Colledge ruined the first 3 drives with bad blocking, once he left the game the offense was fine.

Its like Philbin says, the Jags look different on film than they do in the standings, especially at home. Ask Cleveland who got blown out or Philly who had to come from 17 down to get a win.

24. DolPhinPhan7

Apr 26, 2012
    It's still somewhat early in the season. Good teams will rise up and bad teams will fall. Do we really think the Bills will keep winning without CJ Spiller and Kyle Orton at QB? Are we going to forget that the Patriots almost lost the Jets and got dominated by us?

The Chargers were 5-1 now they're 5-3. The Bengals, Steelers, Ravens and Browns all play each other frequently. Not all these teams are going to be in contention come December.

The Dolphins have to win, No ****!

Beating bad teams escaped the Dolphins last year especially on the road. Be happy about yesterday.

25. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I'm willing to write yesterdays first half performance off as an aberration. Much of the problems in the first half were due to Colledge's play which caused several 3 and outs. While he hasn't been a world beater at LG, he clearly wasn't himself yesterday. Once he was replaced the offense came to life.

MAFishFan likes this.
  26. vt_dolfan

I dont know if its concern....of course we all know we have to be better on offense. Nobody is suggesting that isnt the case. What I am saying, is I am seeing progress in some areas that have me optimistic about the direction of our offense. Im seeing Tannehill do things much better, or even some things he never really did before.

Im most concerned about our line. Their is some concern that Jujuan James could be hitting the rookie wall. Our interior line is getting beat pretty badly, we gave up 4 sacks against Chicago and College didnt have migraines then.

One thing I am very happy to see, is our offense is almost NEVER shut down an entire game. Yes, we usually start slow, but for the most part we somehow right the ship and start being a good offense in the second half. Another positive sign is, arent prone to fast starts and then coming to a screeching halt. Once we get rolling we usually stay that way. If we start good offensively, we usually stay good. I cant remember Ryan Tannehill ever being torrid to start a game, and then all the sudden the wheels come off.

3 of Ryan's 6 picks have been tipped balls. What that tells me is he isnt making horrible throwing decisions for the most part. We are running the ball very well.

So, yeh, of course their is concern, but theres also some really good things, its just, well who wants to look at those.

27. vt_dolfan

And once we got the line figured out....it really wasnt much of a ball game.

28. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Concerned? Not really. The players should be focused on fixing things obviously but I'm not worried. That first half was entirely situational and a few fixable mistakes (drops, penalties, and Colledge trying to play through a migraine.)

The fact is, outside the pick six, the defense played pretty poorly in the first half. Denard Robinson was absolutely shredding us and Coyle didn't realize you could rush more than three men on third and long.

It reminded me of that Bengals game last year where their offense was driving and Grimes got a pick six... Then the defense has to trot back out there and the Bengals start driving again.

29. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Nah bro. It's more sane and logical to FIRE EVERYONE NOW!!!!!1!I'M SO OVER THIS TEAM. ALL THEY DID WAS WIN THIS WEEK.WHERE WERE THR UNICORNS AND POPCORN TREES?

Larry Little, Fin D and Piston Honda like this.
  30. DolPhinPhan7

Apr 26, 2012
    Exactly! A pick 6 kind of hurts a defence. The opposing offence gets to get right back on the field and try to fix what they did wrong.

Not saying I don't like seeing Pick 6s but the Defence couldn't get off the field, that's one of the main reason we didn't see a lot of the offence in the first half yesterday.

31. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Some folks just live to be negative. In this case it's people like Reid, totally ignorant of how the Jags play, assuming Miami will just walk all over them. Then when it doesn't happen they cant admit to being wrong so they make up a new rationale, Miami ain't that good. Of course the Reid type people have been claiming Miami wasn't any good all along, and that, Fin D, is how people can be dead @ss wrong and still feel good about how right they are.

32. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I would say three'n'outs are the reason we didn't see the offense yesterday. But third down was a killer, though thanks to Bortles not a back-breaker.Those pick sixes were the difference in the game.

33. DolPhinPhan7

Apr 26, 2012
    Who's the say if the defence simply forced something like a punt instead of 3 straight drives deep into Miami territory that the offence might have not performed better. Perhaps if the Delmas pick didn't net a TD and RT could come on the field and face the Jags Defence with some momentum things might have started differently.

I know, If Ifs and Buts where candy and Nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. This game was more than Defence Good, Offence Bad. It was way more nuanced.

If that ball isn't tipped and the Jags don't get an INT in the fourth quarter and perhaps the Dolphins pile on with a meaningless FG at the end of the game and they win 37-13 do we fret about the offense like some are doing?

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    stop exggerrating, I've stated multiple times I'm talking around 6 a game..

while you take your panties out of their wad my brother, let me explain something.

Lazor and philbin have no idea whats wrong with their offense in the first half, they agree that something is wrong, thats its not performing up to where they think it can, but they are simply at a loss for words, they don't have a legitimate answer..

i least I have a strategy, what is yours?

35. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    The pick 6s were also part of the reason we never saw our offense. Pick 6s are great, but the defense goes right back out there after it

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

ok, so we knew that the jags were gonna come out of the gate on fire, because thats what they showed the past three previous games, so this comes down to play calling if we don't believe we are physically outmatched..So the play calling failed, my suggestions are mostly play calling changes, and a little help from out qb.

37. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Yep. Between Colledge struggling, Albert lining up incorrectly to negate a first down, and Hartline dropping an easy first down the first 3 drives were indeed ugly. After that it was very one sided game.

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    please don't insult my intelligence, and I don't speak for Ck but I'm sure he would feel the same, I can enjoy the victory, but this isn't about winning against the jags, its about are we good enough to overcome the obstacles and variables and environments that await us during the 2nd half of the season, and most especially the playoffs..

if you listen to the offensive coordinator and head coach, it wasn't good enough, the performance, if they are concerned do we not have the right to try and figure stuff out as a forum..

I mean I'm always happy win we win, but Im not gonna ignore stuff just because of it..if you notice you made a thread asking if we should be concerned?, you don't, I do..Thats why your you, and I'm me, and thats why I love you.:wink2:

39. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014

There were two QB runs in the first 11 snaps, including snap #1. I know you want more but I really didn't see a play calling issue and there was no way to know that Colledge would get smoked like that until after it happened.

MikeHoncho and VManis like this.
  40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

so your saying that you think it was all because of the headaches taking him out of his game and allowing his matchup to break the play design?..nothing we could of done schematically?