1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Dolphins at Jaguars game thread Week 8

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Oct 26, 2014.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Here are some keys to victory today:

1) Run The Ball - Most of the consistent teams in the NFL usually control the line of scrimmage and have the ability to run the football. It sets the tone for the game and gives the offense flexibility in play calling and play action passing game. I believe this is where quarterback Ryan Tannehill excelled last week in the first half, using a positive running game and turning it into space in the passing game. Also Tannehill's ability to execute the zone-read just adds to the running totals and completely freezes the edge of the defense. Miami is fourth in the league in rushing averaging 136.3 yards per game and facing a Jaguars defense minus arguably their best defender in linebacker Paul Posluszny. This unit likes to get after opposing quarterbacks - Jacksonville's 22 sacks rank 2nd in the NFL - so it would be beneficial for the Dolphins to continue to have balance in their offensive attack.

2) Play With The Lead - It must have been a great feeling for this team last week to generate a 14-0 lead and take that two touchdown spread into halftime. It's only the second time this season - the Oakland game in London - the Dolphins have been able to gain an advantage after 30 minutes, and in both games, that lead allowed both sides of the football to play at their desired tempo. The offense doesn't need to press or lean on the passing game, and the defense can mix it up, not relying on creating pressure with exotic pressures that might expose a secondary. The fast start on offense last week looked like a continuation of the second half execution against Green Bay and let's hope there's more of the same in North Florida on Sunday.

3) Squeeze Bortles - It's been fun to watch this defense get after the quarterback this year, from Tom Brady in the opener to chasing Aaron Rodgers all over the field two weeks ago. This week comes a different challenge in rookie quarterback Blake Bortles, who has some of the same characteristics as Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger. Bortles stands at 6'5 232 pounds and is not afraid to take chances down the field, but also completes a high percentage of throws. He can also use his elusiveness to shake off pass rushers and use his legs to extend the play. It will be important for the front seven to get consistent pressure on the rookie early, which might get his eyes looking out for the pass rush instead of scanning the secondary for room to fit the football into.

4) Keep The Red Zone Green - This is one area on the field where Miami must convert and find a way to get into the end zone against the Jaguars. The last couple of weeks, this offense didn't execute consistently (fourth and goal against Green Bay and a blocked field goal against Chicago) and failed to convert positive field position into easy points. The Dolphins defense set the table three times (plus 23,16 and 35 yard line) and the offense could only generate 10 points. This is the formula that Jacksonville used last week to beat the Browns, where the Jaguars defense held Cleveland to only six points and also stopped them on a fourth and one on the 24-yard line. Miami has been efficient for the most part converting chances into touchdowns (53 percent) and this must continue on the road against Jacksonville.

5) Stay Aggressive - Now is the time for this team to start stacking up the W's and creating some separation from the bottom of the AFC East. Now is the time to keep pace with New England and matching a victory with a victory. In order to do that this team needs to stay aggressive in the way they approach each week, every quarter and every series. The Miami Dolphins have enough talent to make a run and are proficient in all aspects to get this win in Jacksonville on Sunday, and the way to do that is to keep attacking on both sides of the ball. If the Dolphins continue to attack and be aggressive against a team that they are more talented in across the board, it should be enough to come out of EverBank Field with a win on Sunday.

The Dolphins’ final injury report of the week lists only one player as worse than questionable, and it’s not linebacker Koa Misi

That’s worth mentioning because Misi is the only player who did not participate in a practice this week, that happening Thursday when he sat out because of an ankle injury. Misi was limited in practice Friday and he’s the one player listed as questionable.

The one player listed as doubtful is safety Jimmy Wilson who was limited Friday but could miss his second consecutive game because of a hamstring injury.

The Dolphins listed nine players as probable: T Branden Albert(elbow), TE Charles Clay (knee), LS John Denney(knee), CB Cortland Finnegan(neck), CB Brent Grimes(groin), DT Jared Odrick (neck), C Samson Satele(hamstring), TE Dion Sims(neck) and LB Philip Wheeler (shoulder/thumb).

Albert, Denney, Odrick and Wheeler all were full participants in practice Friday, while the other five were limited.

Jacksonville ruled two players out Friday: CB Alan Ball (bicep) and DE Andre Branch (groin).

Cornerback Dwayne Gratz (hip) was listed as questionable. He did not practice Friday after being limited Thursday.

Finally, the Jaguars have three players listed as probable, all of whom were full participants Friday: C Luke Bowanko (ankle), RB Toby Gerhart (foot) and S Craig Loston (hamstring).

Its about time to string a streak of victories and this is the perfect opportunity to do it.:yes: Go Dolphins :up::dolphin:

Bpk, RGF, JDelenne and 8 others like this.
  2. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    BTW as an appetizer to todays game you can watch the Falcons vs the Lions played in London during breakfast.:bake:

JDelenne and rafael like this.
  3. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Great opener CT.

Looking forward to the game (as usual) and watching these Lions get smoked (#1 defense?).

CrunchTime likes this.
  4. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i expect an ugly game of field position as both offenses struggle. i dont see us running on the jags but maybe the injury to posluszny helps in that regard. I just dont see Miller getting alot of yards up the middle of the jags defense. I think we'll have to go with a gameplan of DJ fap material, namely read option and rollouts to escape the pressure the Jags will put on us and establish a passing game first. The Jags are an up and coming team that is going to be real good in a year or two. This is a game where your eyeballs should stay on the offensive line and defensive line matchups the entire game. That is what will determine the winner imo. Our defense should feast on the rookie QB, rookie WRs and avg at best offensive line that the Jaguars trot out.

Expect ugliness, lots and lots of ugliness

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I dont think so...I think our offense will keep them off balance...they have been decent on defense last three weeks..against very mediocre offenses. None of which run the read option. I think we put some big numbers up offensivley

6. PhinFan1968

Trusnik starting MLB.

7. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Inactives today:

Jimmy Wilson
    Koa Misi
    Shelley Smith
    Jason Fox
    Anthony Johnson
    Billy Turner
    Gator Hoskins

8. Maliki2

Maliki2 New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Swanton, Vermont
    I so want us to throw up some points! Unleash the Tannihill!!!

9. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    [​IMG]

There's a ton of Phins fans here.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

10. vt_dolfan

Ugh Misi is out..

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    come and Fap along with me Prez, it'll be fun..

If you want to win, we will run ryan, and he will need to run him early..still waiting for him to implement the potential 4th element into this offense, and thats him seeing the lane and running for a first down, seeing the defense turn their backs to him, and running for a first down.

think about it, I've argued all week with some folks who want to be just a two dimensional offense, no read option, just passing and running..

right now lazor has us as a 3 dimensional threat to a defese..read option..traditional..passing.

I want the quadruple threat offense and thats on ryan to figure it out.

if he could start doing that consciously, I would like to set a gap session with everyone.

I think kraken gets three today.

I think we take the field with a reservoir dogs slow motion money shot...Ryan tannehill..charles clay..mike wallace..Jarvis landry...brandon albert, all walking out the tunnel alongside that defense.

Im excited.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    dag gum it, misi played so fast last two weeks, and so in sync with jenkins..pissass.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    how stupid was seattle for giving away golden freakin tate..smooth..putzes.

detroit lost fairley.

Rosco 35 and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    have we always only dressed two tight ends?

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lol..matt prater is fat..

16. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Woot! Excited about today. Broke out my 2008 division championship shirt. :)

He's like Davis and Taylor last year; never sees the field.

W/ Misi out I hope to see Tripp get a few snaps at LB as well as ST.

17. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    We've been playing well lately, now we need to put together a win streak.

Let's go Dolphins!!!

unluckyluciano and 77FinFan like this.
  18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Exactly, making the DL hesitate b/c they have to keep an eye on RT is the key to opening up the middle and slowing down the pass rush as well. That's one of the huge impacts the read-option has that it's critics under-estimate. It's a simple principal that making the D cover the whole field makes their job more difficult. The read-option makes the D responsible for one more player and more of the field. That's why it will never go away or just be schemed away by the D. Sure a D can scheme to focus on the read, but it will take their focus away from some other area. That's it's value. It's not how many yards RT gets, but rather how it makes the D's job more difficult and the O's job easier.

19. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I like the sound of that.

20. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

Have fun, brother! Have a few frosty beverages for us.

21. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    if we win 3 in a row it's called a win streak. It has happened before.

22. vt_dolfan

We are going to win 5 in a row...watch and see

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  23. Finfan91

Finfan91 New Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Indianapolis
    First time poster, long time lurker here. Would be nice to see DJordan get heavy PT at LB today with Misi out. Looking for heavy experimentation from the O today.

CrunchTime likes this.
  24. Maliki2

Maliki2 New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Swanton, Vermont
    So miss being stationed in Jax! Was there when they were trying to get a team...would have loved going there to watch my Phins! Unfortunately they transferred me!

25. Maliki2

Maliki2 New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Swanton, Vermont
    As long as I keep seeing that chick in your sig...im good!

26. HellPhins54

HellPhins54 New Member

Oct 7, 2012
    North Florida
    Mike Wallave is fired up. Finished his route right in the middle the jags linebackers Indy session. Got right in there face talking smack. Love it!! Let's go Miami!

27. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Holy Crap, that was an amazing catch by Riddick

28. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    The refs gave the game to the Lions.Unbelievable.You would think the Falcons should have been able to refuse the penalty.BTW I picked the Falcons with the upset .:angry:

29. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It would be a total shock, since Jordan plays DE for the Dolphins and not LB.

30. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    amen!

31. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    You can refuse the yardage but play and the clock still did not start. Didn't matter

32. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    Trunsik in the middle is going to give me AGITA all day long

33. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I'm not sure how the ref's gave the game to the Lions.

Time ran out on the play clock and once it does, there is no play. The Falcons couldn't refuse the penalty because they don't have an option to do so when there is a delay of game penalty.

The ref's actually missed a pass interference call on the Falcons when the Lions went for a two point conversion late in the game.

What caused the Falcons to lose was the poor execution by the Falcons offense in the last two minutes of the game. Along with the Falcons defense letting the Lions escape from inside their own 10 yard line after the Falcons punted the ball to them.

The Falcons lost the game because they basically gave it away in the last two minutes. Much as the Dolphins did against the Packers two weeks ago.

34. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Well, here it is folks a game that we would notoriously struggle in. Even though we have the better talent and an overall better team, this is the type of game that would give us fits and kick us in the gut just when we`re starting to have belief in our team. But, dare I say it, this time I have a different feel for this team right now. Six seconds away from beating the Packers and then having a solid win in Chicago , a team that was starving for there first home win. The only, and I mean ONLY way we lose today is if the "same `ol Dolphins" show up. So, do we retreat back into the darkness of mediocrity, or do we advance ? I say advance! Advance and take the next step into respectability and show some character and positive consistency. Lets get on a roll !!!!!

Dolphins -30
    Jags - 10

35. PhinFan1968

They also missed a delay-of-game against the Lions on a long 3rd and long...converted and got points out of the drive. That's ref'ing One Oh Fkng One...pathetic.

36. shadokp

shadokp Active Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Interesting prediction - last night I had a dream (nightmare) where the game was still going on and the jaguars had 40 and Dolphins 11.

KP

37. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Where is everyone? Its freaking gameday.

38. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Oh oh it's Steve Tasker, and Buerline.

39. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Let's go Miami!!

40. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Ref's are human beings and therefore they aren't perfect. They make mistakes.
    The Falcons lost because they failed to run out the clock in the the final minutes of the game when they had the ball.
    Their defense then failed to stop the Lions offense from driving the ball over 60 yards to get into field goal range.

Blaming the ref's for the Falcons losing the game really makes no sense at all. When a team is up 21-0 at halftime, there really is no reason for them to be shut out in the second half and lose the game.
    It certainly isn't the ref's fault that the Falcon's failed to show up in the second half.

MAFishFan likes this.