1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Power Rankings/Very Favorable To The Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
  2. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    While a nice thing to do, I think the official NFL ranking is about right at this point....# 17. If we played NE 6 weeks in a row, they probably win 4 of them, while we are improved we are still their b*tch.....unfortunately

3. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I disagree. I think we match up very favorably, and we would win 4 out of 6 against them.

4. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

So based solely off of their rating system, the Dolphins have a good chance to go 8-2 through the rest of the season...pretty close to the 7-3 I'm expecting.

More fodder for the "what if" wonderings...this seems more like a "this team has such-and-such potential" listing...and we know the P word...

5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This shouldn't be a surprise. Statistically the Dolphins have the best defense in the league.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SICK likes this.
  6. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    True. Why does Philbin get zero credit for that again?

7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Because he's not the coordinator and it has a lot to do with personnel he met on the team?

8. roy_miami

Oct 11, 2013
    He's not the coordinator on offense either but that doesn't stop people from piling most of the blame on him. Belichick isn't the offensive coordinator in New England but he gets a lot of the credit for that teams offensive success.

And it is Philbin's philosophy that resulted in us putting most of our resources into stopping the pass first and foremost. Just like on offense we put most of our resources into helping the passing game. Clearly Philbin is of the belief that if you can pass effectively and stop the pass effectively, the running game will take care of itself.

Fin D likes this.
  9. PhinFan1968

I give him credit for it...but no more credit than the DC and coaches. Team effort. From what I can tell, he hasn't individually done anything to derail it. He's managed to not allow the defensive coaching/player arguments to spread and become a cancer, so there's that too.

10. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Their model has a total predictive record of 16-20-1... is that better than others? Don't think it is..

11. Hobiesailor

Hobiesailor Season Ticket Holder Club Member

There is a reason that there is an offensive and defensive coordinator. The Head coach shouldn't have his hands in the day to day of those units. Your head coach should be the guy that puts out his vision and expectations and lets the coordinators execute it how they deem fit. The head coach should be the Quality Assurance guy, only stepping in when the coordinator needs help, or when the coordinator's execution isn't producing the vision that the Head Coach wants.

After all the dis-function over the last 10 years, its nice to see the leadership working together and not infighting and bickering. For as much crap that Philbin has been given for being stoic and "hands off", he has produced a working climate that allows for Lazor and Coyle to produce to units that are, mostly, working well and adapting.

Fin D likes this.
  12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Let's not count our chickens based on power rankings. When have we ever seriously regarded power rankings?

13. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Too high IMO.

14. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Your living in the past. Join us in the now. The Facts : 4/6 = 2/3, which is actually our current success rate against them. 2/2 more recently. Not to mention we are (arguably) on the rise, while they continue their slow descent.A Team with an average at best O-line, a statue of a Qb, poor running game, minimal pass rush etc. is more likely to be made our *****.

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Division rivals cancel out most logic in this type of discussion. Nearly all games with our division rivals are almost impossible to predict. While this team is playing well, the O has found a niche and the D is pretty stingy (despite giving the GB game away). Our D is probably playing a bit better than the pasties right now and the last few games the O has done well, but we have a history of being up and down, particularly in the division...that is not up when you would think we would be. I just don't buy what Philbin and the fins are selling YET....another few good games strung together and I may change, but they've made fools of me before...

And as I've said before, while I believe the armor in the pasties uniforms is certainly chinked at this point (they aren't the team they've been in the past), they still haven't been knocked off the heap yet...

16. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    If it wasn't for Lazor's play calling Phins would be 5-1 at worst. They are that good, but you have to take into account the dumbass OC, so 7 is too high.

17. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    I like it!

18. roy_miami

Oct 11, 2013
    wat?

19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Philbin gets 100% of the credit for being 3-3. He is in charge of everything, so he is judged on the totality of it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

smahtaz likes this.
  20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    best three and three team..if we had moreno on this team moving forward, i would feel outstanding about our chances to win 10 games.

I want to make a move for a back, I think we need a back.

i guess we will be promoting lamike james

21. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    After reading somewhere about him dancing around and being tentative that doesn't inspire confidence. Hope Miller stays healthy and D Williams steps up. I guess I have to root for what's his face again.

22. PhinFan1968

To be fair, Thomas has looked solid since his return...he's made some nice plays.

dolfan22 likes this.
  23. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    You are right. Maybe some couch time inspired him.

24. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Thomas wasn't even active versus Green Bay and against THE BEARS HE SHOWED HIS USUAL 3.6 YARDS A CARRY.Granted he had a good "7 carries" the first two games but we all know what we have with Thomas,
    we don't have to sugar coat what he is

25. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    So if by some miracle the team finishes 11-5, wins a playoff game or two and exceeds expectations, you would consent to Philbin getting 100% of the credit for it?

26. PhinFan1968

Leaving out his receptions, and a TD called back by penalty. Unless, of course, you'd rather we just keep throwing drops at Miller. And he's averaged 5.4 yards a carry since coming back as well.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    you read that from me, thats what he does, and he needs to stop if he's gonna be really good, but at this point its hard to change who you are.

28. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

So you're saying if we had kept Mike Sherman we'd be 5-1? Very interesting point of view there Mike.

29. MrClean

I think he could tear it up in this offense. IMO, he'd get the big chunk runs that we expect Miller to get.

30. MrClean

I do not recall him dancing at Oregon. He'd see a crease and just explode through it and be 20 yards down field in a blink of the eye.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm with ya, I liked him coming out and had a third round grade on him, but i went back and saw a lot of reps in frisco and i could see the reason why it doesn't look to be translating..he's looking to make moves which keeps him from opening up his speed, instead of making moves at full speed..but like you I want to believe what we saw in college could happen here..Maybe their recalibrating his brain and teaching him to run thru the snake at full speed.

you know Miller was dong the same sh": his first two years, and he still kinda plays around a bit..maybe he's in need of some coaching before he moves up to the show.

32. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Sorry, I would have credited you if I remembered. Regardless, not the kind of talk I like to hear in a back. I'm sure it's tough to find a balance between being patient and decisive. He sure has the tools to make plays, or at least he did at Oregon. I'm sure if they see him making plays he will have a chance to move up.

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah I'm with ya..was sure he was gonna be better than what he's displayed, but either we read his style wrong in that spread offense or, he's dancing and not running north and south hard.

34. roy_miami

Oct 11, 2013
    Sparano was an amazing head coach that one year. It was all Sparano.

35. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Backs have to do this. Have to. On the bright side, Miller seems to have learned the lesson so maybe James can too. Be nice to have a back that scares people a little bit.

djphinfan likes this.
  36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I dunno, I think its more than a coincidence that our line & play calling/design is much improved, AND our backs look to be dancing less.

37. MrClean

James may not have fit the 49ers blocking scheme. He should fit well in the inside zone runs that we're doing now. Same as Miller does.

38. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Is Lamichael James playing today?

39. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I don't think he's even on the active roster.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

40. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It is a little difficult to take this power ranking seriously when it has the Dolphins higher rated than the Chiefs and Bills at this stage of the season. Both those teams beat the Dolphins by double digits and the Chiefs did it on the Dolphins home field.

Perhaps the Dolphins will end up being a top ten team once the season is completed, but right now they should probably be ranked somewhere between 15-18, based on their record.