1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MIA @ JAX Matchup

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by keithjackson, Oct 25, 2014.

1. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    If the Dolphins have a kryptonite, it's a disruptive DT. The Jaguars happen to have one of the most talented rising stars at the position in SenDerrick Marks; expect to hear his name called often on Sunday. In fact, Jacksonville may have the best DLine we've seen since Bufallo. All those clamouring for a blow out, or for a five touchdown game, need to slow your roll. These are not pushovers. Just like Miami has had an offensive resurgence over the last three games, Jacksonville's defense has blossomed over that same period. Where our offense has averaged 29 points, their defense has allowed an average of 13. Before whooping Cleveland, they played Tennessee and within the final minute they scored a touchdown, recovered the onside kick, got into scoring position for the game winning field goal (blocked). The week before against Pittsburgh, the score was 9-10 in the fourth when they forced a turnover and got into scoring position to win the game before a Bortles brainfart. This is a GOOD team, and they have made an art of sticking around. Miami is lucky Jax won last week at home, because it was imminent. We are also lucky that their best player, Poz, is out ( and perhaps Ball). Let's look at the match ups and see what Storylines we might be talking about on Monday morning:

Is this Blake Bortles' week? I like Bortles, but he may be the worst QB we will face all year. He has 11 INTs to 8 TDs, and his 3.2% TD rate and 4.4% INT rate are both in the NFL's bottom three. His down the field accuracy is shoddy, and his decision making is bordering on oblivious. When in doubt, he will attempt the pass anyway. Still, the Jags are throwing the ball 62% of the time (#5), especially on second and third downs. However, he can be dissuaded by solid coverage if he's not pressured. I fully expect him to attempt 40 passes, with 20 of them being screens. Jax goes 3-and-out 26% of the time (#29). He's especially oblivious when it comes to running into sacks. While he is the worst redzone QB (59.4 rating), he is the second best inside the 10 (118.8), he's rated 59.6 in the second half (especially terrible in the Q3), but the second best QB in 4WR sets (121.0), and he is proving to be good in two minute drills. Where he excels is running - yes, he's better than RT17. (This game may set QB rushing records!) So far even bad Ryan Tannehill is better than Blake Bortles, but we haven't seen good Blake Bortles yet. Honestly, if Blake played mistake free football they probably are 3-0 over the past three weeks. This week may not be any different.

Denard Robinson scares me. He's powerful and fast, and authoritatively follows his blocks with better vision than anyone we have in the AFC East. It's shocking that he hasn't been the starter until last week. Throw out all the Jaguars rushing stats you've read up until now, because they are about to blow up. With Robinson and Bortles running, don't be surprised if they out-gain us on the ground this week. (They do have more 10+ yards rushes than we do.) Their WRs feature three big talent rookies, including Allen Robinson, who many Dolphans wanted over Jarvis Landry in the draft. This may be the most interesting sub-story of the whole game. Who has the bigger impact, Landry or Robinson, may be one of the small battles that decide the outcome of a close contest. Overall, I find the Jaguar WRs underwhelming after watching game after game. They have trouble consistently winning one-on-one matches and gaining the separation an inaccurate QB needs. Still, if they get the ball in space, you might need four players to bring down A Rob; he's a tough SOB.

Defense We need tight coverage this week to force underneath throws, as we defend screens well. Our pass rush should be able to force a Bortles into bad decisions, as they are allowing sacks 10.3% of the time (#31). I would crowd that line of scrimmage on early downs to get a body on Denard because he doesn't have a lot of Shake-and-bake, and to contain Blake's happy feet. It's imperative to limit their run game. While we are both poor on third down, they are more prone to third and longs. Force him to throw and our secondary should take care of the rest. Finnegan (8) and Grimes (6) have both proved adept at getting their hands on the ball this season. We need interceptions and turnovers this week. The Jags average an NFL worst 15 points a game, but it's not because they haven't been in scoring position. Ultimately that offense is a bunch of toddlers and Zane Beadles with a "Coming of Age" culture that should see various players having breakout games over the rest of the season. We just need to hope it's not Blake bottles this week (or Allen Robinson bailing him out). We have the pass defense to rattle even the best QBs, but if they can run against us like KC, then it's going to be a long afternoon.

On offense, we have a tough matchup. Beside Marks, Tevin Smith is lookin great lately. Their big guys are fast and we need a great performance by the interior Oline to match the production we are used to. Jax is stuffing 12.2% of runs for no or negative gains (#5), and their 3.8 rushing average against (#8) is better than us. It's hard to run straight at them, and even harder to run a stretch play. The only weakness I see is running off tackle, so Brandon Albert is going to need a huge run-blocking game. I wouldn't run anything behind the line of scrimmage or that takes too long to set up. I honestly have no clue how Ryan Tannehill's read-option will fare, and so that might be the most exciting part of the offense to watch for me. Passing the ball, they have a solid secondary, though perhaps it may be depleted by injuries this week. Their weakest link is at linebacker. I'm sending tackle-breakers Clay and Landry right at their backups. They seem to give up most yardage in the middle of the field, so expect lots of slants and seams. I'd especially target where the LBs pass off to the DBs to test that chemistry. Quick passes are a must, especially if we want to spread them out and utilize the sideline, to neutralize their potent pass rush (22 sacks #3). To win this game, we need to start fast and get out ahead. The Jags' last three opponents settled for field goals and had a cat fight on their hands into the fourth quarter. Touchdowns early should prove too much to overcome, and if we go into halftime leading big, they will implode in the third quarter. However, if we see a Miami offense that loses the turnover battle, they have all the necessary ingredients to control the LOS.

Other The Jags are the least penalized team in the NFL, we are also top 3. Special Teams should be a push. Their return game is solid; I loved Ace Sanders in college and he is due to break one any week now. Our suspect coverage unit might just be what he's looking for. While Jax seems primed to win the hidden yardage battle, we should still enjoy better field position. Not only does Miami have the best average starting FP in the NFL, JAX is giving up the 2nd worst FP (32.9), and their own starting FP (25) is 29th. This is mostly due to TOs; they are turning the ball over 17% of drives and we are forcing TOs 15.5%. We should see our streak of starting drives in the opponents' redzone continue this week. Winning the turnover battle is as important this week than ever.

Prediction Overall, on paper we should be able to bully Blake Bortles into conceding this game with stupid mistakes. However, this is exactly the kind of matchup for Ryan Tannehill that gives us fits. I expect a close game with lots of blunders, sacks, turnovers, and fourth quarter dramatics that will make this a lot closer than a lot of Dolphans feel comfortable predicting. But this team has played at a borderline elite level at times, and nothing about it seems like a fluke.
    Miami 21 Jacksonville 17

2. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    My big questions are:
    1. Can we finally defeat a stout DLine? Can we win without a run game?
    2. Who will have a bigger impact on the game: Jarvis Landry or Allen Robinson?
    3. Can Ryan Tannehill keep up the good work against constant pressure? And will Mike Pouncey have another crappy game or finally show up?
    4. We played JAX in the preseason, so will this game look the same or different? Just how good of a in-season predictor is a preseason game?
    5. How will Coyle scheme to confuse and trick an incredibly young offense? This is the type of game begging for Cameron Wake to take over.

3. Cass

Cass Active Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bristol, England
    Nice write up, but you make the Jags sound like a much better team then they are.

seabass0795 and Mexphin like this.
  4. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

I appreciate the write up but after reading that I had to do a double check to make sure the Jags are still 1-6.
    I think you are giving them way more credit than they deserve.

I'm not expecting a blowout but I expect the Dolphins to cover the spread. I can see a score of 24-14.

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    will be interesting to see how their Dline plays against our Oline. It's always matchups to provide context. They do have some talent on the line, but you couple that with Pittsburgh's awful Oline to explain that game.

I'm also not a believer in D Robinson yet. maybe he'll surprise me

Miami 24 - Jacksonville 10.

6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    thank you for the great write up. finally someone who has actually seen jacksonville play and is not going into this game thinking that a 3-3 team should beat a 1-6 team easily. This game is not about won/lost records but rather matchups and the jacksonville strengths are some of our weaknesses. A defensive line of Red Bryant, Senderrick Marks and Chris Clemons who has one sack in three straight games is a nightmare for our offensive line which is our weakness on offense. Telvin Smith might be the steal of the 5th round draft. The guy is all over the place and I believe had a pick last week. The team could easily have won the last three games. On defense I think we should dominate but their offensive line which was horrible is improving lately. I expect a low scoring game and since i'm a dolphin fan, have the dolphins winning 13-10. An opening line of 5 1/2 tells me vegas is also expecting the jaguars to cover. This should have been a 7 point spread if vegas thought the dolphins would run away with it

7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Our offensive line really isn't a "weakness" anymore. It may not be elite, but it's no excuse for a loss these days.

8. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    its not a weakness against good and average and below average pass rushes. It absolutely gets destroyed against top ten pass rushes until proven otherwise. If we do a good job against Jacksonville then I will agree we have turned a corner. But for now I expect us to give up three sacks at least

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Three sacks wouldnt be enough to change this games outcome. It would take more along the lines of 5-6.

10. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    here's hoping to you're right :up:

11. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    They have very good against average to below average teams. You really should not underestimate this team. We should win, but they are not pushovers like Oakland.

12. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

The Oakland team that nearly beat the Pats and the Chargers? They're about the same IMHO...any given Sunday and all, but we should be dominant.

13. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Not gonna lie, I'm kind of annoyed with fans assuming every fan thinks this will be a blowout. Obviously this can be a close game, any game can. It's just not likely at all.

14. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I predicted 27-13 win and I'm sticking to that.

This is the type of game that each of our three defensive leveps should dominate. Bortles is turnover prone and our corners matchup very favorably with their receivers.

Offensively we should have good field position andbi think we get to 27 easily by keeping them off balance.

15. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Miami should win this game going away. Bortles is being sacked at a good pace..hes throwing multiple picks a game. We should continually get good field position. If we are going to truly be a playoff team..we have to get out of the mindset of feeling like me match up against inferior opponents. We have to play as if we are out to destroy them..to put them away early. You can talk about respect..the Phins should feel like mentioning the Jags and Miami in the same sentence is disrespectful.

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think that the history of Fins teams under Philbin has to be factored in. They have shown a propensity to show up uninspired and weak against teams when ALL the indications are that they should blow the team out.... This has occurred with both lesser teams and against teams that are better...Just when you think the Fins will have the proverbial corner turned, they've let us down (see the last two weeks of last season)...

One other thing, Jax is coming off an inspired win last week and if Philbin's team comes out lackluster (again, as they have in the past under Philbin), we could find ourselves in a close game or even a blowout by the Jags...

I'm NOT convinced that Philbin can inspire a team when it should be inspired...his 'quiet strength' approach is fine and the team seems to have taken on that personality, but will they come in and lay an egg....it's happened more times than not....

17. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

My feeling is our mindset has to change...Im not talking about feeling like we can half *** our way to a blowout..Im saying we should expect and the team should expect to play at the best of our ability and when we do that..Jacksonville should be rolled.

77FinFan and PhinFan1968 like this.
  18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    this has been the norm..lets find out if we've gone to another level of commitment and sacrifice.

19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    absolutely has to change, the responsibility of the head coach..Thats why this game is very exciting to me..its a huge moment in the direction of this regime.

and why I feel that its so important to sell out against san diegio..its a crucial time in the culture.

20. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    I think we should be fired up. I was expecting to see a really crappy Jags team, but watching their last three games it's hard not to not take them very seriously. I think the team will see this when they watch the film; these ain't no Raiders. I think we got realllllllllly lucky they won last week at home. They were close to winning their two previous games and you could tell they were chomping at the bit.