1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dion Jordan?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Oct 21, 2014.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    DE/LB, Dion Jordan returns... now what?
    how to work him into to an already excellent defensive line & L/B corp that is beginning to gel.
    what can will he bring to the table down the stretch?

2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Trade him to Philly

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    don't think it is feasible to trade him at this point...
    we need to see what this new toy brings to the table

would like to see him work into a roaming L/B position, the way he was used in college
    or opposite McCain as an OLB in a 3/4 might prove to be an interesting combination

4. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Move him to LB. We have a plethora of good DE's.

SICK and the 23rd like this.
  5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Crazy idea .... Whatever he does defensively, maybe a few snaps at TE in the redzone. He could be that big RZ target we lack. Longshot I know, but if hes not getting many snaps on D and can catch, might be worth a shot.

the 23rd, Ohio Fanatic and MikeHoncho like this.
  6. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Not crazy, he's done it at Oregon at least once. I don't think this staff would touch that idea though. Maybe on fake punts they could.

ElNino likes this.
  7. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Hahaha! This guy is the #3 overall pick in the draft and this thread exists. Dion Jordan to TE is like Zach Thomas to Safety....except in Dion's case, what the heck? Might as well try it!!!!

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    On 3rd and more than 7.....rush these 4.....

Vernon / Jordan / McCain / Wake

9. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    No one is saying move DJ to TE permanently like people were suggesting moving ZT to safety. They are simply saying special RZ packages. Vrebal did in NE and Watt in Houston along with a host of others. It's not unheard of or ridiculous like you're making it out to be.
    I doubt the coaches do it, but it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibilities either.

ElNino, Ronnie Bass and MrClean like this.
  10. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I agree that Dion in spot situatuons at TE is NOT ridiculous. What is ridiculous is that we don't know what to do with the #3 overall pick!

ElNino and Hellion like this.
  11. HogsHDFinsfan

HogsHDFinsfan New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Hopefully we can get him to do what he is cut out to do...chase the ball down on STs. Unfortunately, I don't think he'll ever be more than that. He seems to lack passion, seems a bit soft, and I (although a rank amateur in these things) have never understood what the hype is about this guy.

12. HogsHDFinsfan

HogsHDFinsfan New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Yes!!! If they offer anything more than a third rounder, jump on it.

13. HogsHDFinsfan

HogsHDFinsfan New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Can Jordan rush the passer? I haven't seen it.

SICK likes this.
  14. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    OHHHH. ok gotch ya. I agree, moving up so aggressively like they did to get Dion you would think it was because they knew exactly what they had in mind for him. instead it's ending up like the dog that finally caught the car.

15. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Dion was originally recruited by Oregon as a TE... and they moved him to DE after his first season. Wouldn't be crazy at all to get him some snaps at #2 TE in the red zone...

16. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Ain't like he'll be worn out from playing a buncha snaps on D.

17. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    The Dolphins are so excited about him coming back that they may promote him.....to reserve.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Dion came to Oregon as a top 10 prep TE prospect. Zach never ever played Safety. There is a pretty big difference between the two.

19. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Well that's not too bad, I mean it's not like we used a high pick on him.

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i keep telling everyone it all depends on what he weighs..if its 275 it makes 0 sense to play him at linebacker or coverage.

21. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I think it was 2007 when the Giants used a greyhound package with 4 DEs comprising the DL in the nickel. Worked great. Strahan, Tuck, Kiwanuka, and Umenyiora. I think Strahan and Tuck were the two who moved inside. Did it again later on with JPP instead of Strahan. If we did it with those 4, I'd want Vernon and Jordan inside if they asked me.
    I see some benefit of having Odrick at one of the inside spots though, and either McCain or Jordan in coverage.

Speaking of Odrick, the way he eats up snaps compared to Starks and Mitchell, I think he is going to be our #1 priority UFA to re-sign next off season.

As much as we like to denigrated the Soulless Ginger around here, we should thank him for several key pieces of our current defense, which is one of the best in the league. Odrick, Misi, Jones, Vernon and Jenkins are all his draft picks. Grimes, Starks and Wake were signed as UFAs while he was GM.

cuchulainn and SICK like this.
  22. PhinFan1968

Hey Deej...evidently he's expecting to play DE (unless I read this completely wrong):

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...trite-return-suspension?ex_cid=espnapi_public

SICK likes this.
  23. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    damn reporters, how do you not ask him what he weighs, don't you know anything about the game.

24. PhinFan1968

That's what I was looking for too...

25. PhinFan1968

Well Deej...evidently there was a tweet about Jordan's weight today, though not TOO informative:

26. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Yup like Hellion said we are not talking full time, I would agree that's pretty ridiculous for a #3 overall pick. "Hey Dion - Let's give up on defense and all your prior training - ever play TE????" lol.

27. DolPhinPhan7

DolPhinPhan7 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Why not see if he can kick?

SICK and ElNino like this.
  28. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Here's some of Dion's comments yesterday

source: Adam Beasley, Miami Herald

SICK likes this.
  29. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    It just sucks that we have to entertain the idea of him playing Tight End just to impact the game. I doubt he plays Tight End though lol. I mean while we are at it lets move Jarvis Landry to kicker.

30. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Yesterday was the first time Jordan’s been able to take part in practices over a month. Makes sense that they aren't go to play him before evaluating him from a physical and mental standpoint. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring the remainder of the season, but we're playing well enough that we can wait another week before bringing him into the mix.

For everyone taking potshots at his draft status, we got more from him last season than the Texans have from the #1 overall pick, Clowney, this season. Clowney was injured week 1 and hasn't returned so far. While Jordan was limited due to surgery last season, he still played and rushed the QB and forced Flacco into the EZ INT last year. I'll be excited to see him when he is back on the field for us.

SICK likes this.