1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a leopard change his spots?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin D, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'd like to issue an apology to Mike Wallace.

I never thought, after last year, that he could become a tough, team-first receiver. I was wrong. His play hasn't been splashy but its definitely showing he's more of true number 1. He's blocking, he's fighting, he's running numerous routes, he's acting like a leader.

Major, major props to you Mike Wallace.

So, I dunno if a leopard can change his spots, but this cheetah sure did...

2. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    He's been a real leader this year. Hasn't complained at all about the number of balls, or lack of deep opportunities. He's just quietly capitalized on all of his chances. I didn't have many issues with his play last year. I thought he was what he was, which could have been even better with some better accuracy deep. However, his effort, team dynamic, leadership, etc was all less than I hoped.

This year, night and day in that regard.

I hope to write this same thing about multiple players - Tannehill, Pouncey, Dion Jordan, and coaches - Philbin, Coyle..

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Also for the record, he's on pace for a 1000 yrd/13 TD/53 1st dwn year.

If he reaches those numbers, it would be the best a WR has played here since Marino's days.

DPlus47, MAFishFan, ToddPhin and 3 others like this.
  4. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I love his attitude and new-found strength in the middle of the field.

Major kudos to Wallace. If he continues this level of play he may very well finish that contract here in Miami.

Tin Indian and Fin D like this.
  5. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    Good post. I agree 100%. When Wallace came here I thought he was just a one trick pony. Throw it deep and run as fast as you can. But this year his route running has been dramatically improved. And he is catching with his hands instead of letting the ball get into his body.

Keep it up Mike!

Boik14 and Fin D like this.
  6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Yep..agree 100 percent..love this Mike Wallace...

77FinFan and Fin D like this.
  7. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Props for all of the posters to this point. I agree with everything you have mentioned, and I am impressed with Wallace's performance this year.

Fin D likes this.
  8. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    I have to say may not of on forums but to friends and family I bashed Wallace last year for some of his lack of effort it seemed. I thought he would more than likely be gone after the year and would be just serviceable atleast but he has really changed. Here is to hoping Wallace / Landry become something special sooner than later!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Fin D likes this.
  9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    That TD last week was one of the nost beautiful plays I've seen from a Miami QB/WR combo in a long time. No busted coverage, no chuck it up and hope, no poor throw amaxing catch....just perfect execution and timing on both ends.

cuchulainn, Tin Indian and Fin D like this.
  10. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Wallace has really matured and put it all on the line here..yes he makes a fortune but what I like is that he realized that the deep ball is not going to happen so he changed his game completely for the better and for the team..if only we could reward him occasionally with a bomb.....call me crazy but let's have 3 or 4 plays a game with Tanny and Moore in the game..split Tanny wide..send both deep and let Moore fling it...just a few plays mind you as Tanny has really begun to shine in our new offense with Lazor....what a great move by Philbin to bring Lazor in..Tanny's feet have been getting better all year with his coaching...maybe Zac Taylor might even learn something from Lazor

11. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I am so psyched to be able to say that I was wrong about Mike Wallace. All my complaints from last season are gone. I LOVE what he's doing on the field. Every time he puts his shoulder into a defender, I feel a little funny in my pants. I would like to see us be able to get a long ball to him, once in awhile, though.

Fin D likes this.
  12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Props to you for admitting you were wrong.

A lottttt of people here should probably be doing the same.

DPlus47, Boik14 and MrClean like this.
  13. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    So glad he's not becoming Brandon Marshall 2.0.

14. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Mike Wallace has improved, but what he's producing is not worth 12.1$ against the cap.

I'm not sure what people should be admitting they're wrong about? Mike Wallace was awful last year, and a big part of his improvement has been through working harder. His concentration, his route running, and his effort level have been much better this year. Him improving those things isn't really evidence people who went to the ground defending Wallace were in any way right.

15. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    He is clearly bigger, stronger too and making use of that. Breaking tackles and fighting for yards after the catch. Looks good so far.

16. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    He has done some different things well this season, which is impressive, but I'm not sure how long they can manage his cost at this level of production. That pretty much applies to all the WRs. The big shoe to fall is Tannehill's situation, but either way I'm not sure they can keep Wallace beyond the near-term.

17. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    :rolleyes:

18. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Well SOME of his detractors stated he was a one trick pony and without that one "trick" he was below average at basically everything else..he has improved nearly every aspect of his game and basically abandoned the "trick" this season and so far has the look of a legit "1". Is he worth what they are paying him? Probably not but he is certainly a lot closer to earning it than his detractors believed.

resnor likes this.
  19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Mike Wallace was not terrible last season. Used terribly yes.

DPlus47, smahtaz and MrClean like this.
  20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i liked his attitude last year, mentioned that i just think he is a good teammate and not a diva, obviously the qb has some issues connecting with him deep, he won match ups that went unnoticed and not executed..Im not sure abut his hit towards the cap but I'm also not sure how much his presence helps our offense..

21. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Career high in catches and just under 1k yards is awful apparently.

22. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Lol still Chamber's #1 fan I see.

23. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Won't lie...I loved me some Chambers. Too bad he never got a real QB and by the time he did his freak athletic skills were declining.

FinSane likes this.
  24. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I think this can be ruled as a myth at this point. Mike Wallace has 52 targets this season, and the next highest Dolphin has 32. The Dolphins definitely are making a point to get the ball to Wallace more.

25. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    What exactly are you claiming that's changed that resulted in him producing better? I don't think you can attribute it to anything other than him working harder, and even if you get really creative it's not at all going to jive with the arguments how he was supposedly misused last year.

26. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Take out his game against Buffalo that season and his numbers were pedestrian.
    Chambers caught 15 passes for 238 yards and a touchdown.

27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    An entirely new offense for starters? You don't really have to be creative to start with that.

I'm not denying he's worked had and improved. That would be a shot at him. I'm merely saying he wasn't as terrible as people would like to believe last year.

MrClean likes this.
  28. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Didn't chambers make the Pro bowl that year too?

29. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Chambers was very good #2 who was our #1 due to poor drafting. Imagine if we had taken Anquan Boldin and had him and Chambers along with Drew Brees at QB. :blink:

30. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I just enjoy breaking down your Chambers obsession. I couldn't stand him as much as you loved him. Inconsistent and dropped way too many balls.

Then again, I was lucky enough to enjoy Marino during his prime and everything else since then has been garbage... So much so that Chambers is considered a star post Marino.

MAFishFan likes this.
  31. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Yup.. I took that picture myself during the game. I promised myself I would never change it until someone on this team dominates in a smash mouth football kinda way or plays at a truly elite level. I can't remember if Jamie Nails played that game but boy did he dominate before getting hurt.

32. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Those that pointed out he didn't play well last year were 100% correct. Those who proclaimed he had hit his ceiling and wouldn't play well were wrong. Yes he was stinky his last year in Pitt, and last year in Mia. But he wasn't known as a lazy worker before that, nor a locker room cancer.

There were some detractors in this forum who all but guaranteed we saw the best of Wallace and that he wasn't very good. I didn't defend him as much as was hopeful for him, that we would get a star WR.

That said, on pace for 1,000 yards doesn't make me happy. His TD numbers are good but for $12m I want 1,400 yards, give or take.

33. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007

Bro... WTF. I've had the same avatar since Ronnie Brown was in high school.. Going back to the FH days in 2001.

And after all our debates over mediocre Dolphins players I can't believe you would think I would have Ronnie Brown there. :cursing:

34. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm pretty sure Jamie Nails is in the top right of that picture, playing LG next to Mark Dixon if I'm not mistaken. I know Nails was hurt later on that year.

Bumrush likes this.
  35. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Hahaha good point.. I think I joined FH in 2001 or early 2002.. That's been my one and only avatar.. I prob didn't have one for the first year or so.

36. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    You can be more specific than that. It certainly isn't throwing him more deep stuff. They've cut the deep attempts to Wallace in half, but Tannehill is throwing it only slightly less and his accuracy has gone up significantly on those passes.

I'm not sure what you're characterizing the opinions as, but the Dolphins should have reduced Wallace's snaps last year and promoted Matthews.

37. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Exactly what I was going to say. All the experts here saying Wallace is a one trick pony look like total fools now.

Sceeto likes this.
  38. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

My goodness, so much hyperbole. Maybe he could have done better, but in no way does 73 for 930 and 5 add up to "awful".

Sceeto likes this.
  39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's because you forgot to carry the $60,000,000.

However, seeing him so far this year, its clear now that last year was merely just transitional. On the flip side, many of the staunch Wallace supporters, said the way he is playing this year wasn't possible either. I mean I know for a fact a handful of people told me it was ridiculous to expect him to fight for the ball because that's not the type of player he was.

cuchulainn likes this.
  40. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I have to say I'm not a huge fan of him lowering the shoulder unless it's to score or fight for a first down..I'm happy to see the desire/testicilar fortitude but not on every play if I had my druthers.

DPlus47 likes this.