1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official "Brian Hartline is a Klutz, etc." Thread.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MikeHoncho, Oct 20, 2014.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Here's that thread you ordered.

Feel free to appreciate and/or badmouth everyone's favorite "hard-working", "good route-running", "deceptively fast", "Almost Jordy Nelson-like" Dolphins Wideout who happens to be white.

Keep the bashing/appreciation here.

[​IMG]

^ Seriously, does that look like a man with "no balance and rhythm" to you?

2. evz

evz Feral Druid Club Member

I'll play :)

1) For the life of me, i cannot fathom that he ran hurdles in college. Just does not compute.

2) I think he should be forced to carry a football everywhere he goes, as it seems to severely impact his balance as soon as he gets it his hands.

:tongue2:

For the record, I like Hartline and hope he starts to shine again soon.

3. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    You have to respect what Hartline has been able to do in his career as a seemingly unknown college wide receiver. I remember when miami made that pick and it was definitely a "are you serious moment". He's exceeded all expectations. I can't help but wonder what this offense could do with a physical, red zone threat opposite Wallace.

KeyFin and ASOT like this.
  4. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    [​IMG]

finyank13, mcdave21, rafael and 5 others like this.
  5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I think the hurdling background thing makes sense - he has great technique in what he does. The problem with Hartline is that he doesn't have enough strength.

Ultimately, he is overpaid at his current compensation. Him, Gibson, and Wallace are all candidates to be replaced if the Dolphins can find the right guys.

ASOT and Bpk like this.
  6. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I think Gibson is certainly on his way out, at least at his current position.

7. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Hartline's route running yesterday had him open on almost every route vs Fuller in the first half. My buddy, a Bears fan here in Chicago, was watching that matchup until Fuller left with a hip pointer. Brian was able to create good separation on most of his routes vs Fuller. Looked good.

ASOT likes this.
  8. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I'll be back.

9. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I disagree.

He went to Ohio State. He was a starter in the National Championship game versus LSU. He was well known and our picking him wasn't deemed a crazy reach.

ASOT and Fin-Omenal like this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I disagree. When he was drafted most people were surprised Miami would use a 4th round pick on a wide receiver with little college production.

sports24/7 likes this.
  11. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think he is not truly appreciated by Dolphins fans. He's a good player despite his faults. I do think this is his last year in Miami though.

KeyFin and MAFishFan like this.
  12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You've got an overlap of two equally objectionable strains of thought- One where people with limited football knowledge are excited to make some sort of basic personnel assessment(Brian Hartline falls down a lot), and one where people who aren't funny are excited to be in a position to run a well-worn meme into the ground(Brian Hartline falls down a lot lol). It's a perfect storm of bad posting, and it almost makes me long for Ricky Williams weed jokes.

gandalfin, ASOT, Alex13 and 2 others like this.
  13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    my only negative about him is that he is a little over paid.

14. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Ricky smoked weed? :shifty:

15. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't remember it that way. But I could be wrong. Confucious? What you say? You're the draft expert.

16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think he's a good piece in a 5 man unit..

17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He's being mis-utilized badly this year. We've for some reason eliminated a bunch of the routes he runs well(and Tannehill throws well), and he's not being targeted even when he gets open.

Hell, the "5 man unit" thing has been wildly inefficient and a poor use of resources. Basically everyone on the roster besides Mike Wallace and Jarvis Landry are being mismanaged. Hell, you could throw in Wallace is as well since they've decided to give up on trying to fix deep passing issues and attempt near a league low amount. Charles Clay probably didn't "just" get healthy this week either.

Meanwhile you're putting Dion Sims on the field roughly 50% of offensive snaps, whom Bill Lazor seems to love but Philbin and co. seem to hate.

18. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    I hate how Hartline catches everything that is thrown to him, who does he think he is?

Rosco 35 likes this.
  19. Rosco 35

Rosco 35 New Member

Oct 12, 2014
    I think Hartline is a ok wr but he sure falls down a lot, he reminds me , of , well , me I am always falling down even when I'M asleep in bed .

I was slow to warm up to him but I don't know just how good he is. on a scale of 1 -10 1= terrible and 10 = hall of fame I would give Hartline a 6

20. Roll Tide

Roll Tide New Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Isn't his YAC about 6'2"?

Paul 13, Fin D and MikeHoncho like this.
  21. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Well, at the time you had to have concerns about his strength and ability to beat the press given his ultra lean frame. He did show good hands and an ability run routes, but he was not able to show what he could do at Ohio State for a couple of reasons IIRC. One was due to an injury (spleen or something) and also because he played in a run first offense. At the time you had to think that the kid from USC we took a round earlier would be the guy to be a fulltime player while Hartline would likely either be a special teamer or fade out.

At least that was mine. You just had to wonder if Hartline had enough to make it at the next level and it turns out he does. Albeit his lack of strength and his need for a little more speed do show up during games.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  22. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Total Buckeye homer here and I've said this before; I think he might be afraid of contact. He runs really good routes, has really good hands, and plays w/ some fire. But, when he catches the ball inside and turns up the field he goes down pretty easily. I've watched him do it several times and it seems like he is diving forward but always going down and I think he does this to avoid contact. Haven't had as much opportunity to observe this during this season, but that's my observation as much as it pains me.

23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    If you watched Ohio State games (obviously I have) you saw a very solid NFL prospect in BH, it was just before the "white WR" boom but he played very very well at OSU.

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He wasn't on the amateur's radar, but the NFL teams knew about him. I recall Peter King saying before the draft that he could be a surprise 2nd rounder based on things his inside sources had told him.

25. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Too good for Dez, too good for Benjamin, we're just too good at WRs to get a beast, we have Hartline!

26. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    When he falls forward, yes.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  27. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    I chalk it up to "business decisions" on his part. I don't blame him, seeing how short NFL careers can be coupled with the health repercussions after it's all over.

Personally, I love the wit and leadership he brings to the team, and he's one of the best sidelines/tippy-toes completion guys I've ever seen in aqua'n'orange.

He does go down easier than maynard looking for a discount at a yard sale though.

28. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

IMHO, the frustrating part about BH is, he does a lot of little things very well, and he HAS to, 'cuz if he didn't, he'd never see the field. As long as he does those things well, he'll have a role in the NFL...maybe not a big one, but a (usually) reliable one.

He's never gonna set any TD marks...never going to know what the abbreviation YAC means...but he's generally reliable as long as he does everything he does perfectly. He's a come-back bail-out receiver...that's about it.

29. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    This is as good of an explanation as I've seen offered. What really bothers me is the drops. It has become a trend, and it is a very disturbing one.

I liked Hartline as a reliable target in 2012 and 2013, but starting with that awful Buffalo game at the end of last season, he has not been reliable catching the ball at all.

30. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Hartline can't be happy with the way he's playing after the contract. My wife watching with me said he's awful, and I told her don't you remember the circus sideline catches he always was reliable for making. She couldn't remember.

mcdave21 likes this.
  31. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Matthews > Hartline

32. DolPhinPhan7

DolPhinPhan7 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I blame the string of 3 and outs to start the game yesterday partly on him (obviously the Oline troubles were a major contributing factor). I think a demotion is in order.

33. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Hartline has been the most overrated player on this roster. Big deal he had a couple 1000 yard seasons. He doesn't make plays. He falls down. Scared of contact. Doesn't make catches in the clutch. Often disappears. How many TD catches does he average a year? 1? 2? Been saying for a while now that on most teams he'd never crack the starting lineup. I'd say his stats were padded due to WR being depleted of talent the past few seasons. In other words, sure he had some ok stats but there wasn't anyone else to throw to before. Hell Bess looked good here too and now he's out of the league(even if he didn't have a breakdown, he was going to get cut from Cleveland), along with the other scrubs we had on depth chart at WR.

34. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Dudes suckin.

35. Mitchellenman

Mitchellenman Active Member

Jul 7, 2014
    UK
    He'll score 6 touchdowns in the next four games. Heard it here first........ :escape2:

36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    its pretty silly for a staff to run him on inside slants, its been obvious he doesn't have the physicality to fight for position, secure the football, or run after the catch..

hes a fourth wide receiver..thats fine.

37. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    This clinches it: He has a huge game vs SD.

38. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    At this point, a huge game for Hartline would be 5 catches, around 70 yards and a TD.

39. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Up until this season, Hartline has consistently been our best receiver....despite being slow, white and a genuinely good person off the field. Bashing Hartline is just plain ridiculous....he's had a few bad games after 50+ good ones and dozens of clutch catches that were thrown off target. He had 3 drops yesterday and had a defender all over him on two of those plays, so I think it's a little early for this thread. Like a year too early.

Why don't we start a "Bash Dan Marino and Jason Taylor" thread too while we're at it; they both had a few bad games as well.

40. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Honestly, id like to see ONE of our recievers have a monster game one of these days. You know, the kind that happens on other teams where you see the stat line and go "Holy Sh**!!". Cant remember the last time we had one of those. Chambers at Dallas on TG? Actually, Hartline during RT's rookie year had one.