1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for tannehill detractors only.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Oct 20, 2014.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I have been one of the biggest tannehill detractors on this site but I would love to wrong about this guy.
    Have you noticed in the last 6 quarters that tannehill is finally seeing the entire field and looking off the safeties when going through his progressions in the pocket.
    I am starting to have some hope that maybe he is turning it around to take it to the next level.

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Forget last 6 quarters....the team's passing offense is registering a 105.7 QB rating over the last 12 quarters. That's three games and that's the beginning of consistency.

3. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    We can only hope. I thought yesterdays play calling was great.

Larryfinfan and Tin Indian like this.
  4. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Pros:
    His accuracy has improved
    His progressions have dramatically improved
    Comfort with the offense
    Ability to run the read option

Cons:
    Still doesn't connect on the deep ball
    His feet freeze when he gets crowded in the pocket
    Doesn't come up big with the game on the line regularly
    Doesn't appear to be a great leader
    Extremely inconsistent
    Takes bad sacks, not good situational awareness

He looks better and better as the year goes on. I don't think this its a team that people want to see towards the end of this year.

5. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I thought I was clear detractors only!

77FinFan likes this.
  6. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    If you have noticed the last few games they seem to have given up on the longball.

7. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Something he has proven to not be able to do yet. Connect on long passes.

8. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Went to the game yesterday.

Most know that I don't believe Tannehill is a franchise QB. It's not due to talent, it's due to consistency.

He needs to put more games together. He needs to put a season together.

BUT....IF we get the guy that's played the past 3 games. We get the guy that's running for 40+ yards a game...THAT guy can be a franchise QB. If he's made to be a pocket passer, I think he's JAG (just another guy).

That TD throw he made to Mike Wallace was just so damn beautiful. He looked at every option, went back to Wallace and threw a perfect pass.

I hope I'm wrong on Tannehill. My issues have always been from a consistency standpoint. Hopefully he keeps putting it together.

That guy yesterday was so fun to watch.

Larry Little, RevRick, Sippi and 10 others like this.
  9. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Im definitely a Tannehill sucks guy. Seeing the entire field, and stepping up/sliding in the pocket is the two most important and impressive things he's been doing as of late.

These are things that he struggled with through out his entire career, and two that's that are mightily important for an elite QB.

Will he continue playing at an elite level? I hope so. Do I think he will? I won't hold my breathe.

HogsHDFinsfan likes this.
  10. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
  11. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    If what we saw yesterday is the philosophy going forward then Tannehill should continue to be fairly successful.

Dave Hyde wrote a column stating it better than me, but they've essentially eliminated all the stuff Tannehill doesn't do well and allowing him to run more.

We didn't throw a single deep pass yesterday, despite having one of the best deep threats in the league. I think the deep ball will continue to be something we see sporadically, rather than being a staple of the offense like under Sherman. Since those are the passes Tannehill was worst at, eliminating them will certainly bring his numbers up.

I'm not a detractor and I'm not a believer, but he certainly was very good yesterday. But that performance is commonplace for the true elite QBs. When that performance becomes commonplace for Ryan, then perhaps we'll have something

HogsHDFinsfan and rdhstlr23 like this.
  12. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    And we don't need the deep ball. Chunk plays is how you sustain and win. Welcome to 2014 Charles Clay!

RT is going to have some bad games. Cutler has them often. Rivers, Dalton, Kaep, even Brady looks lost out there once in a while. But what other options are there? It would be so difficult to find another qb as good as RT, and with his potential.

I love the way we got his feet wet by running him early on. Despite the way early sack, we got the nerves out and let him compete. Coaches got an A this week.

Ducken likes this.
  13. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I love Thill in the Read Option. It just adds that much more that a defense has to think about and account for. Plus he runs it very well and when you mix in that he is very good a play action passes it slows a defense down even more. Another bit to add to it is the fact that he is pretty good throwing on the move.

He did all those things yesterday and did them well. I hope that Lazor keeps playing to those strengths and calling plays accordingly.

14. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Which is smart. You can continue to develop your quarterback's areas of weakness while still capitalizing on his strengths and getting production out of him. I'm just stunned that it took this long.

15. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    They had a couple of deep passes dialed up (first play of the game was one) but the receiver was covered. You should have at least three bombs dialed up per gm and hope you complete one of them

MAFishFan likes this.
  16. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Which is good. Its a low percentage play to begin with. Its a wasted down every time we try it. Oyr offense looks better without trying it.

MAFishFan likes this.
  17. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    They've stopped doing a lot of the inefficient things they did previously. They've also wisely had Tannehill run the ball more. That much is pretty obvious. The challenge is when defenses adjust, if Tannehill and Lazor will adjust as well. Its a game of cat and mouse that never ends.

emocomputerjock likes this.
  18. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    What, you don't want to be the next fan up on 106.7 talking about how we're Superbowl bound? Seriously though, defenses will adjust to take away the things that are working now. We'll see if the offense is capable of executing then.

19. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I've never been on the Tannehill bandwagon, despite his obvious talent, because he has never looked truly comfortable in the pocket. He did look off receivers more often this week, sure, but he also tattoo'd two defenders with passes that my 12 year old would have picked off. Then late in the 4th, he rolls out to throw from the 7 yard line and despite having nothing but daylight between him and the end zone, he throws a bullet into the back of a 3rd defender...leaving 4 points on the field.

While I can see that he is starting to understand the offense more, he's nowhere near the total package quite yet. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't think he can't get there, but this team is talented enough to win EVERY game on our remaining schedule with the right person at QB1. Our defense is something special this season and every other aspect of the team is firing on all cylinders, so I've grown pretty tired of "Tannehill will be awesome." Again, I think he's doing much better, but he has to take that final step SOON to make us a contender.

phinzi likes this.
  20. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    They will definitely adjust, forcing Tannehill to be one dimensional isn't some impossibility. Just look at how the Rams kept Russel in check yesterday except for one play he was able to break free, they kept him in the pocket and forced him to make throws.

Same for Kaepernick yeaterday, the Broncos forced Kaepernick in the pocket and shut him out, dared him to make throws in the pocket and he couldnt.

Thats why i will never understand the Rodgers comparisons. Its funny people base that on stats, ROdgers has shown he can make plays both ways, Tannehill has never demonstrated he can be an effective consistent passer in the pocket. And if a team wants to trap him in the pocket they can easily do it.

21. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    Rodgers spent 4 years on the bench and was starting in college I think for 4 years, so part of this deal is to be patient and hope he turns the corner.
    The green bay game started way too slow I thought he was crap, the second half a complete different QB.

77FinFan likes this.
  22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think the "doesn't connect on the deep ball" is blown out of proportion. It's only a couple of QBs that have that knack and those guys have better OL's and more consistency at WR/TEs. I don't think that particular part of his game is that far from any of the better QBs...

Inconsistent over the last 12 quarters?? I don't see that.. I see a D that let us down against GB that would have an affect on how we think of him. He didn't let Rodgers move down the field with very little time left on the clock and he didn't have a brain fart and not tackle a guy inbounds to end the game...

Still, it just depends on what you mean by consistency. This is just about his best stretch to date...is that enough to say 'consistent', no but Sherman's influence had a lot to do with that...

I'm still on the fence with him, but I feel better about him than I ever felt about Henne....

23. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'm going to quote myself...lol. good write-up and investigation into Tannehill's deep ball. I know it was written towards the end of last season, but is still extremely relevant, as they talk about where he ranks among other QBs on the deep ball. Hint: he's not really as bad as some think...

24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    he's being forced to run..had to do what we had to do, better late than never...next phase for him to get personally better is that very play you talked about, he's got to trigger his mind when to take off now, he can't think thats what running backs are for, he has to learn this is an important element to beating a defense if he wants to be a championship type qb.

25. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Wha? Hes shown he can be am effective passer in the pocket. Hes only started running recently...lol. You act like hes never had some really good games.

NVM..I saw you put consistantly..so..have to agree hes not been consistant.

26. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    This was written by a member on here everyone pretty much knows (ckparrothead), it was a pretty big topic of discussion last year.. but yeah, a very good write-up and I agree that the whole deep ball thing is a little overblown.

MAFishFan and resnor like this.
  27. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Dude please don't take personally not directed at you, but

The people jumping on this thread's bandwagon

I am not sure what is worse. The fact that we are 18-20 under Philbin with Tannehill at the helm or the fact that we as fans are so desperate that we would after just one game look the other direction.

AGAIN

Pretending there is hope?

Maybe Tannehill is a product of this coach or these coaches. **** who knows. Maybe he is only one guy held up by a ****ty coach.

Whatever it is we are mediocre.

There is no trophy for second place. Unless we are contending for the super-bowl every year. This team is a failure.

I don't want them to be. But they are what they are.

Maybe Tannehill's saving Grace will be the firing of Philbin or as I thought last year Tannehill gets traded. I personally think Philbin would sell the farm and blame it on the cows if he thought it would save his a$$.

28. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Sure, but that's AFTER going two years where we forced him NOT TO run. He ran all the time in college and did it pretty well, so its not a question whether or not he has the ability to make plays with his feet...he definitely does. It's sort of the same thing Henne went through when he was told to only throw 2 yard touch passes for an entire season, even though he had a cannon of an arm and it was his worst throw. That bad training/bad advice ultimately cost him a legitimate shot at being a star NFL quarterback, because there are some things that you just can't un-learn.

This isn't Pennington's offense though and we are better at almost every position on the entire football field than we were back then. Regardless of how much he's grown in the past month, Tannehill is still unquestionably the one player holding us back on offense as he gains confidence and a feel for this new offense. I don't think it's going to be a major problem BUT since this was the "throw out your complaints about Tannehill" thread, I was simply sharing both the good and the bad of what I saw. Personally, I am sold on him more than I ever have been, but he still has a long way to go.

29. mbsinmisc

mbsinmisc Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Murrells Inlet SC
    Wilson had 300 yards passing and over 100 yards rushing against the Rams. I know they lost the game, but I would not lay that at the feet of their QB.

30. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I hear ya man and yes we are 3-3 again just like last year and probally a good chance we will be 7-9 or 8-8.To tell you the truth I used to be the guy that said the nfl has one winner and 31 losers every year.At this point and I thought I would never say this is.I would settle for a ****ing wildcard game because that's how low I have sunk.
    As for tannehill I was ready to bench his *** but I am willing to admit he has looked good as of late and I guess maybe its a hope or prayer he continues to play at this level.

31. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He has 0 weapons left, then does something no other qb has ever done...the dude is gonna be single handily trying to win games this year, but some just don't get it.

32. vt_dolfan

Wow..we are a failure after a win...hate to think what we are after a loss.

33. Phinastic

Phinastic Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe we don't need a long ball? That maybe our offense, even with Mike Wallace, can thrive without it? I'd be fine with running the ball, completing short passes, and every once and a while hitting a 15-20 yard pass. The 30-40 yard bombs are probably never going to come.

34. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Golden Tate was extremely underrated, but I feel the same way about Doug Baldwin. Perhaps not to the extent that Tate was, but Baldwin and Lockette are certainly not terrible.

35. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Got your back DJ.

36. vt_dolfan

Well hes single handidly won enough to be in third place.

37. vt_dolfan

Wait..isnt this a thread about Tannehill..why does everything have to end up about Russel Wilson?...DJjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

38. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm an admitted Tannehill homer.

That said:

I think either extreme is doing themselves a huge disservice by drawing either conclusion about Tannehill right now. He continues to teeter back and forth on the precipice of being a franchise QB and not cutting the mustard. He is trending in the right direction. Lot of football left, let's see how he ends up.

Larry Little, rdhstlr23, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  39. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Marshawn Lynch? That defense and special teams unit? The receiver unit is bad but he's far from trying to win by himself. Teams have figured out that keeping him in the pocket is the best way to keep him under wraps, it was inevitable. That's why he went in the 3rd round, that's why Tannehill has more potential and will eventually eclipse him.

40. vt_dolfan

The only ones convinced of anything are the ones calling him a bust. Pretty much everyone else has said hes not consistant..but hes flashed.

MAFishFan and Fin D like this.