1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Week 7 - Head Coach Approval Rating

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Oct 19, 2014.

Do you approve of the job Head Coach Joe Philbin is doing?

Poll closed Oct 25, 2014.
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    75.9%
  1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

As before, this is a weekly version of the Presidential Approval Rating poll, but about our Head Coach.

Do you approve of the job Head Coach Joe Philbin is doing?

Yes or No (Vote in the poll. Don't just reply to this post with "Yes" or "No")

- Anonymous voting
    - If you want to explain your vote, feel free to do so with a post.

2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    no...

3. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Same as last week, yes.

4. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Same as last week, no. The Dolphins beat up the Bears today, and that's great, but I still have my questions about Joe Philbin's decision-making process, as well as many of the actual decisions that he makes.

However, one thing I liked from Joe Philbin today is that he elected to receive the opening kickoff. That might seem like a small and stupid thing to change my mind, but Joe's reasoning was that he wanted to set the right tone and see the team go into the game with the right attitude. I feel like that's a step forward for a coach who previously seems to have really seemed to not even understand that his team is comprised of young men who share a pulse.

If Joe can keep making even incremental, baby-steps type of improvement on this sort of thing, he has a chance to win me back.

Bpk likes this.
  5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    No. For the bears game alone, yes. The gameplan was obviously well done, playcalling great and we picked them apart in just about every category.

But i need to see more.

Bpk likes this.
  6. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I still say no. I'd say Lazor did a great job today with his offensive game plan. Coyle I would say was above average. I thought there were some questionable calls here and there but it's more nitpicking than anything. Rizzi needs to get his special teams together. Philbin as a coach, I still want replaced. This was a great game, but as a whole he still hasn't done enough to make me feel like he is a long term answer. The questionable timeouts, other poor decisions need to be few and far between before I can feel comfortable with him at the helm for the long haul.

7. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    The challenge was stupid. More coaching scared.

8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I still say no. He swung the needle back towards yes for me, but still not enough to get me beyond the point where I'd say yes. Consistency, and good solid performances like this one against the Bears weekly, and that may happen.

9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    No. He is the biggest piece of the problem. We needed to win one game of the last two games last year, and never even showed up to the game. Same thing for more than half of the games this year. That's all on Philbin. He has to go.

10. argos31

argos31 Member

Jan 2, 2014
    The end of the first half was really bad by both coaches. Trestman should have called a timeout with 30+ seconds left on the game clock to force Philbin into punting. When he didn't Philbin should have called timeout with 6 seconds left to try a 58 yard FG. There was no downside to attempting it since Sturgis does have the leg for it, probably would have missed, but you don't hurt yourself in trying.
    Also, kicking a FG at your opponent's 1 yard line with 4 minutes left to go up by 10 is really bad

11. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    No.

The team winning often seems more in spite of him than because of him. With the exact same talent, I think that the team wins 2-3 more games with a good HC over the course of the season, minimum.

12. heylookatme

Sep 12, 2012
    My take on that is different. I believe the challenge was smart. It was 4th down, Joe clearly wanted to go for it, and I think he wanted to take a timeout to get the right play-call in and give instructions to the team. If you're going to take a timeout, why not challenge and try for a closer spot, or maybe get lucky on it?

13. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    In this game Yes .The rest of the season so far No.

14. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Under no circumstances is my mind changed on Philbin. I'm not a Redskins fan - I don't suddenly think the team is great because they won a game.

15. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    No, not voting yes until they move more than one game above .500. We'll see where they are after the Bills game.

They are currently ranked: 4th in total defense. 4th in pass defense. 10th in run defense. 5th in rushing offense. Team should be above .500. We'll see what happens with JAX-SD-DET-BUF. Need to win 3 of 4, and need one of those to be against the Bills. We HAVE to move above them in the standings. They're down to a 3rd string running back now, can't lose to a 3rd different Bills QB.

Need to stop giving us shades of Dave Wannstedt, where the team had the top defense and a top rushing attack in 2002/2003 and was too inconsistent to make the playoffs.

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I replied yes, but one game does not make a season or career for Philbin....

A poll after a win is likely to be different that after a loss...

Bpk likes this.
  17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Philbin executed his part of the job poorly. Timeouts/challenges weren't executed all that well, the clapping wasn't particularly sincere or motivational. It's hard to gauge the spell-checking and grammar in the meetings during the week, so he may have done that well.

18. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    String together another couple games at the level of play we've seen the last 6 quarters and I'll start changing my tune.

I missed most of the game this week so its tough to get a good feel for the overall game and coaching decisions...by the time I was watching things were feeling pretty good.

I didnt like that challenge, but its defensible if the intention was always going for it - treat it like a timeout and maybe be surprised by the result. On the flip side, it was a bad move if it was a challenge isolated in a vacuum of "I think he had that"...and if you're not prepared to run a 4th and short play without a timeout/challenge, that says something as well.

Still, if thats the biggest gripe I have after watching ~1/2 a game its a huge improvement over the last few weeks... But I want consistency before I change my heart.

19. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    If you look at the GB week poll, it was 141-12 no-yes. Thats about an 8% approval rating.

As of writing this post its 31-9 no-yes. Thats about a 23% approval rating. A significant jump for a "win" week, but honestly - way less overall than I would have expected. Maybe we're not as knee jerk around here as everyone likes to say we are in the heat of the moment haha.

EDIT: Or maybe more likely there is just a very vocal knee jerk minority :shifty:

Bpk likes this.
  20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    No

[​IMG]

21. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Your know Philbin. He's a mean spellcheckin' sum*****.

Pennington's Limp Arm likes this.
  22. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    He stayed out of the way against the Bears.

But I still don't want him as HC going forward... so No!

23. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Yeas!

Philbin deserves respect for the great job his doing, best Dolphins HC since I've been watching the Phins.

roy_miami and Larryfinfan like this.
  24. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    You know, this poll sort of overlooks the bigger picture and it's not going to accomplish anything. If you asked me "Do I approve of what Philbin did this week" both times, I would have answered "no" last week and "yes" this week. He did get a lot more creative on offense against Chicago, so I think that's a positive sign that we may have jumped the gun on Joe and this team will turn out to be pretty solid all-around. One week won't change my opinion on anything though....so I'll likely vote "no" to your question as it stands for at least 3-4 more weeks.

So I think you need to modify the polling a little bit to include-

Do you approve of the job coach Philbin is doing?

1) Yes, I've believed in him all along
    2) Yes, he won me over in recent weeks
    3) No, but he's on the right track to win me over
    4) No, because he's still not leading this team
    5) No, I never believed in Philbin

Unlucky 13 and Larryfinfan like this.
  25. Bpk

Appreciate the input. Good points. I think it's better to stick with the simple, familiar Presidential version for now and let the posters debate the nuances.

KeyFin likes this.
  26. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Dez, me senses some sarcasm here....??

27. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    LOL, and that's the problem with politics...having a "statistic" for CNN is often more important to the broadcasters than the actual meaning behind it. That's a topic of conversation for a different forum though.

Bpk likes this.
  28. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm a big fan of Philbin. Dude has delivered on what he promised, the good, fun to watch, winning passing system and a qb. And in the process he got rid of Ireland. He is the man! I don't want any other HC in Miami. I'm good.
    The team needs to improve. Lazor is a rookie, RT is not there yet, we have problematic receivers, running backs are depleted, there are issues, no doubt. But the HC and the system is not one of the problems. We are lucky to have Philbin.

ElNino likes this.
  29. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Ok, so it was Lazor and Coyle who did a great job and that's why we won. It had nothing to do with Philbin. Yet when we lose and their units play poorly, it's all Phibin's fault. I agree those two called great games, but man, after a win, Philbin must feel like Rodney Dangerfield.

30. Bpk

If you mean lifeless, then yes, I agree.

Joking. Mostly. Philbin's animated corpse actually gave a rousing cuecardless speech after this week's win.

#progress

31. heylookatme

Sep 12, 2012
    Well, I honestly feel like the tremendous strides our offense is making right now in terms of scoring output, rushing efficiency, and now passing efficiency are primarily being driven by the offensive coordinator, with a big assist coming from the new offensive line and their position coach. Lazor is still making some rookie coordinator mistakes, but he is simply doing a better job of utilizing our players and getting production out of the offense than Mike Sherman did.

If you can tell me what Joe Philbin is doing where I should be giving him more credit for the team's sudden resurgence with an entertaining and effective offense, then I'll definitely give him that credit.

32. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Im sure Rex Ryan gave a great speech before and after falling to 1-6.

#profootball

#speechesdontwingames

ElNino likes this.
  33. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

So you're saying you started watching them in 2012?

34. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013

35. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

:sidelol: So you think Philbin is even better than Shula huh?

resnor likes this.
  36. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Rex Ryan has had more success than Philbin ever will.