1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Me or is This a Weak Fall for TV?

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by maynard, Oct 15, 2014.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    My DVR continues to disappoint. The shows are getting stale

Am I missing something? I'm too late to Walking Dead and don't care much for zombies, so that's out. The show about Batman without Batman didn't interest me. Modern Family indicates that the episodes are new but they feel like re-runs. Hell on Wheels **** the bed. Shark Tank is the same

I still have to catch up on Mad Men from...somewhere in season 3. Watching last season's Parenthood, slowly

The wife gets Once Upon a Time and New Girl. They are are OK, but not much going there.

I flip around Discovery and it's a guy yelling at another guy about some deadline for some bizarre job they are working on. I don't even know what is happening on History. Same for Science. H2 had a series called Ancient Impossible I thought was interesting, but I think they are on re-runs now

I used to get by on stuff from Food Network. Chopped is boring now. Cut throat Kitchen was fun at first, but I'm over it.

I have HBO, Cinemax, Shotime and Starz on a promo that ends this week. I think I'm getting rid of all of them. Homeland is kinda crappy now

What am I missing here?

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I am looking forward to Constantine.

Stitches and maynard like this.
  3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    It's Nabo's fault.

SICK and maynard like this.
  4. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    What are you guys watching?

5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Boardwalk Empire - Pretty solid so far this season
    Homeland - Better this season IMO now that the Brody angle is finally over

Only two shows I really am watching now. I may try to binge watch a season of something soon.

maynard and Paul 13 like this.
  6. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    IDK, I'm finding Carrie really irritating. Saul is always great and Quinn is a cool character, but...idk. Though I do agree that Brody needed to go

I've never seen Boardwalk... hmmm

7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I am watching Arrow and Flash.

That is because I am a big nerd.

gunn34 and Vengeful Odin like this.
  8. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Oh and I'll add that Outlander was pretty decent, but that's off until April I think.

I enjoyed Black Sails. It surprised me. That doesn't return until January

9. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    And that's it?

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sleepy Hollow.

Nothing like it. Start at the beginning.

Vengeful Odin and maynard like this.
  11. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    you should consider giving it to her more often. just sayin.

maynard and Paul 13 like this.
  12. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I've started doing some middle of the night stuff. Nice change of pace

Sent from my Note 3

ToddPhin likes this.
  13. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I can't say... I'll tell you when I'm done watching it though.

maynard likes this.
  14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    ha hah.. nothing like a good night rape... i mean what?

maynard and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I noticed. Thankfully you're quick about it so I can get right back to sleep.

maynard likes this.
  16. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You should be watching the Knick.

maynard likes this.
  17. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I'll check that out

18. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I am currently watching: Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, Hells Kitchen, Total Divas, Walking Dead, Wrestling weekly.....packed schedule. Behind an episode on SOA. ****s good this season.

Homeland is "blah" to me so far this season....

19. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    My regular Hulu rotation consists of Gotham, Arrow, the Flash, Brooklyn 99, Castle, Modern Family, and Selfie. Gotham, the Flash and Selfie are new. Both are decent. Gotham has been a challenge to get into. The Flash has been the standout. I'm looking forward to giving Constantine a shot.

We just recently tore through "Canadian Science Fiction starring a strong female lead character" by marathoning all the available episodes of Orphan Black, Continuum, and Lost Girl. Orphan Black was the standout, but Continuum is a lot like Arrow, in that it's finally hitting stride. I wouldn't recommend Lost Girl. It's sort of a Buffy type show. We've moved into a "Washington DC Comedy" thing by marathoning Veep and waiting for the next season of Alpha House. Both are decent and more entertaining than the other DC focused show we're into, House of Cards.

We've just got basic, so there are a lot of shows we are waiting for the release to Netflix/Amazon. Most of these are the FX shows we're into. Justified, The Americans, Sons of Anarachy. Louie. I've also got to find the time to get caught back up on Walking Dead, Vikings and Doctor Who, as well as finding the time to finish Mad Men and Weeds.

The most impressive show we have watched all year, however, is True Detective, which is just about the most visually impressive television show I've ever seen. Period.

20. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Continuum is in limbo over $$$. It hasn't been canceled but it hasn't been renewed either (More than 4 months after air).

Orphan Black is F'n awesome and anyone not watching it.....your missing out huge. In fact BBC America has a new series out that's not bad either called Intruders. There's a little girl on there that will creep you the hell out.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is hilarious. Pretty much the only comedy I've picked up since Community debuted.

If you enjoy campy entertainment Syfy has Z Nation. Which is freaking hilarious. This is NOT your Walking Dead style dramatic show. This is low budget, campy humor awesomeness ("Amish Zombies? Really?") that's more in line with the humor of Shawn of the Dead (and I'm not comparing it to....just relating the campiness factor).

21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I think it's a weak fall as well BTW.

I believe Gracepoint is the American version of Broadchurch, so that might be worth checking out.
    Stalker is out but I haven't watched an episode.
    How to Get Away With Murder is new..... but I'm not sure how it is either. I watched the pilot but didn't have an opinion either way.
    Legends just finished season 1 on TNT. It was highly rated.
    Happy Valley is definitely worth watching [Netflix Original]I thought Bosch was a new show but sadly it was just a single pilot episode.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Happy Valley is a-maze-effing-ing

23. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If you loved that, have you not watched Top of the Lake, Broadchurch, or The Fall? To me they all have a similar style.

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I did not like what I saw of the Fall which was the whole first episode (including the end). GA's character was not compelling to me at all where as the lead from HV was incredible. Haven't seen the other two. If they aren't on Netflix, I'll likely not see them either.

25. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Tv just keeps getting worse, to me. Ive talked about it in other threads. My favorite two shows last season, Community and Almost Human, got the axe.

I watch Marvel Agents of Shield, and I enjoy it, but at least half of that enjoyment is because its part of the greater Marvel cannon and is gluing the movies together.

New Girl and the Mindy Project are the only two comedies on right now that I enjoy. Both are smart and fun.

I've really enjoyed Bones for a number of years because of what it brings to the table - a group of very smart people who work as a team to solve problems/get the bad guys. Its nearing the very end of its run though, so there's a lot to jump into if you haven't watched it before.

My wife watches Once Upon a Time on Sunday, and I suffer through it. Its a Disney Soap Opera, basically.

We also watch Grimm, which is coming back soon.

And thats it. I have zero interest in anything else on these days.

maynard likes this.
  26. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Personally I think it's way too quick to judge The Fall after just the first episode, especially because it requres a few episodes to set everything up and because the entertainment value gradually snowballs until you can't take your eyes away because the show gets so raw and in your face IMO [and Nabo's], but to each their own. GA's character becomes significantly more compelling, but it's slightly more about Jamie Dornan, the serial killer. It gets pretty intense, and the ensuing cat & mouse between Dornan & GA is thoroughly enjoyable. I think the show is well worth its lofty 8.2 IMDb rating. I gave it a 9 myself.

27. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Well now that I've finished it... Didn't want to say and have a spoiler :lol: It was Breaking Bad. I started watching it back in Feb/March. We just got done with it last night. Such a great show... My favorite episode has to be Grilled... but there were so many good ones.

28. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    It was picked up for a full series by Amazon, and they're filming episodes now. Early 2015 release date according to Michael Connelly's site - http://www.michaelconnelly.com/extras/bosch-tv/

ToddPhin likes this.
  29. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I gave Alpha House on Amazon Prime a shot. I like it. Pretty funny. It skewers Republicans in a humorous but not nasty way. Has potential for a Democrat equivalent.

Sleepy Hollow doesn't seem available on anything yet. It's not on Netflix and Amazon wants like 1.99 an episode

30. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    What is Happy Valley? Is that a British show on Netflix?

I have to admit I really struggle with the British shows. I found Sherlock boring even though I like both actors. Luther didn't grab me either. I think I might need to give it another shot though

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Oh boy. If you didn't like Luther or Sherlock, don't bother with Happy Valley. In fact, based on that post, don't bother doing anything ever again, because you're clearly a horrible person and deserve misery the rest of your days.

Don't get me wrong, we'll still bang, but no more cuddling and no looking me in the eyes.

ToddPhin and maynard like this.
  32. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Anyone else watch the Boardwalk finale? I thought it lacked some subtlety, but was very good nonetheless. One of the better finales I can recall. The entire season was excellent IMO.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Paul 13 likes this.
  33. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Lol. Idk what it is. I like Sherlock, but only for about 45 minutes or so and then I'm bored. I'm going to give Luther another shot. I was sort of half-watching

Fin D likes this.
  34. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    finale? I still haven't watched the pilot.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ok, let's try a new approach.....

Check out Peaky Blinders on Netflix. Its early 1900's England organized crime. Cinematography is gorgeous.

maynard and Claymore95 like this.
  36. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Person of Interest, Arrow, Flash, Walking Dead, The Mindy Project, Vikings, Blackish, Modern Family are all sows my wife and I watch.

37. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Second season is just coming to an end on BBC this week, it's like an English Boardwalk Empire so should appeal to those who like BE...if they can get past the accents! Even I find the Birmingham accent one of the hardest to understand, although most of the actors opt for not too strong a version of it. Tom Hardy also joined the cast this season, so with Cillian Murphy and him, the show has a couple of fairly heavy hitters from the acting world.

Fin D likes this.
  38. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I just got done with the season... I didn't even know it was the final one :lol: I had researched a while ago who Nucky Johnson (whom the show is LOOSELY based on) and noticed that he lived until 1968 hah... I don't know what to do now. It was a good season. It all makes sense now though... the flashbacks and everything... of course it was the final one.. duh...

39. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Just started watching the Netflix's Marco Polo. Looks solid through 2 episodes, what I've come to expect from Netflix.

40. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I came in here to ask about it because I keep reading negative reviews.

Peaky Blinders is cool, though I've needed subtitles at times