1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trade deadline, if were in the hunt, who?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Oct 10, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It will be here in three weeks, let's say were right there at the top of the division, who would you realistically go after.?

For me it not only depends on how we're doing but also the team that I want to trade for.

For me it's a player that I wanted to sign this past offseason, you might be familiar with his game, he played at our university, is electrifying, and supposedly washed up and lost a step..whatever, I watched his reps, and I didn't See what the pundits were seeing, he looked damn good to me and was, and has been a desperate need for our team for decades..

Devin Hester...if the Falcons are out come the deadline, I'm bringing that dude home.

Who you want?

2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    heard Justin Hunter might be available. and we should see if we can pry Ladarius Green away from San Diego.

Mexphin and sports24/7 like this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think its highly unlikely that SD will be trading any pieces away.

4. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Trade deadline in the NFL=snooze fest

It will come and go with no trades like every other year.

5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Philbin(and by extension, Hickey) are on too hot a seat to be allowed to move.

I hope Rishard Matthews isn't jettisoned somehow, I think that's a bit if a realistic fear

RoninFin4 likes this.
  6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Yeh...cant see us making a trade to be honest. For the most part, NFL trade deadline is non existant. There just isnt enough time to get guys in to learn the plays.

Now...heres something to think about. Lets say we are 2-4 going into the trade deadline. Id like to see them trade someone like Cam Wake to a team that can contend for a Super Bowl. Trade him to San Diego for draft picks. Id like to see someone like that get a chance to play in the playoffs and maybe get a ring, and at the same time, help us out by getting some high round draft picks.

7. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    That's blasphemy! haha

But I'll bite: what do you think his trade value would be? And how long do you think Wake plays at around this level? Top-notch player who keeps himself in top-notch shape.....even in the off-season. That would be tough to get rid of a guy who I think will eventually deserve consideration as one of the better Miami players of all-time. If he cannot get a playoff win here, why not elsewhere? For his sake? I don't know. Tough thought.....

8. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    As much as I think it'd be good for Wake, it'd be terrible for Philbin and Hickey... at 2-4 you still have a mathematical chance of making the playoffs and trading Wake would essentially be giving up on the season and giving up on your job, basically... so it's something that's pretty unrealistic at this point. It would make more sense if the coach was on his first or second year and had some job security going forward, which is definitely not the case here.

Pandarilla likes this.
  9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Mark Sanchez. Or Michael Vick.

10. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Honestly, I kind of see it the other way around possibly. If we're not in the running at the deadline, I'd maybe consider moving Wake. He's what... 33? He's not going to keep playing at a high level much longer. If you can move him to a team who needs help in the pass rush department, you strongly consider it I think. Get yourself some picks, because you already know that if you're in the position to consider moving Wake, you're likely in the same position to be looking for a new HC and probably GM too. Stock the draft picks, so the new regime has a good set of weapons to help speed along the rebuild with. Chances are, if we're out of contention, or it at least looks like it, you're facing another rebuild, or at least re-tooling, You have Vernon, Odrick, Shelby, Fede and Jordan still, Wake isnt a big piece moving forward based on his age. I hate to say it, but I'd give strong consideration to it at least. Especially if someone is going to give up some high picks. If you can't get at least a late 1 or very early 2 at the least, I wouldn't consider it though. That alone does make it pretty unlikely I suppose.

11. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I agree entirely, but you have to remember that Philbin and Hickey would likely still be employed by then, and they are the ones who make those decisions. I'm pretty sure they'd rather keep Wake and try to salvage the season and their jobs, don't you think? Unless they receive orders directly from Ross to trade Wake.. which in that circumstance they'd have lost their job anyway.

brandon27 and DPlus47 like this.
  12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    We've already got a great waterboy

13. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I don't move Wake. If you're running the business and you believe that Tannehill can be that QB (not restarting this debate - just playing role of Hickey and/or Philbin) then you essentially have a window of 2-3 more years to make that big push. you keep Wake with the belief that he can play at a high level for another 3 years and can be a critical part of that push. Again, this is the glass half full POV.

I'd feel different if Jordan was doing anything of consequence that made me feel he could step in for Wake. so far, he hasn't.

Pandarilla and djphinfan like this.
  14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Agree. I like Matthews' potential for AFTER this season.

15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Dion Jordan for TY Hilton

16. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The Falcons are supposedly serious about engaging in some trades aimed at boosting their pass rush and OL before the deadline.

If they're interested in Dion Jordan then I'm listening.

Rather than poaching some mediocre player off their roster I'd probably just rather see what kind of draft pick they'd be willing to give up.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    We don't necessarily need this position especially with Chris McCain waiting in the wings but Akeem Ayers is BEGGING to be traded for out of Tennessee, IMO. The dude was an impact defensive player and he's in the doghouse for some reason, has only played 10 snaps this year.

Two other guys on the Titans that might be worth looking into are LB Zach Brown and TE Taylor Thompson. Brown has the speed to be a coverage linebacker initially and may be more, as he's performed well in the past for Tennessee. Taylor Thompson is a physical phenom that is still learning how to operate as a pass catching tight end but has shown potential in both phases.

The Raiders are completely in the toilet and so they have to start thinking about liquidating some of their assets. If James Jones is caught up in that I would definitely hear them out on what it takes to snag him. At this point if you trade for him you're only on the hook for $1.2 million in 2014 salary, then $3.0 million in 2015 and $3.0 million in 2016. That's even cheaper than Brandon Gibson's contract and this is a guy who could potentially replace Brian Hartline in the lineup.

18. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    ah the trade deadline... those were the days. Eric Dickerson... Herschel Walker.... There just might be a couple of trades this year around the NFL, but they won't be impact players.

19. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I can't see anything happening trade wise. The NFL trade deadline is terrible. And, while I'd definitely like to go CK's route - esp. for draft picks - teams have become so enamored of draft picks (rightfully so, imo) I'd be surprised if they gave up much for Jordan. Right now, Jordan has two big knocks against him: a) drug issue; b) no productivity ...

But, a decent pick? I'd take that. Wish we had taken a 1st from Philly last year.

20. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Trading away Matthews to force Landry down our throats would kill my support for this front office. I already don't support the coaching staff at all.

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Also it's tough to know what the Jacksonville Jaguars are thinking but if Cecil Shorts were to be available in trade then I think you've got to listen. They have a very YOUNG cadre that I think they'd like to move forward with, as they move past the days of Shorts and Blackmon. The trio of Allen Hurns, Allen Robinson and Marqise Lee looks promising.

I'm sure Dennis Hickey will be wondering if he shouldn't give the Buccaneers a call about Mike James. He really liked him a lot, and James performed well. He's been relegated to a real low spot on the depth chart.

Santana Moss is very unhappy with his position on the depth chart in Washington and I can't blame him. If you really believe Miami could go on a playoff run this year then I would seriously consider flipping a super late draft pick for Moss, even if just for his leadership value. If he's going to be buried on a depth chart anyway he might like the idea of being back home in Miami over being in Washington. But if you really do start to make a playoff run then guys like him have a tendency to come through for you.

It's too bad the Rams don't need extra pass rushers because I'd otherwise feel them out about what they think of a Dion Jordan for Tavon Austin swap.

I would certainly feel out the Minnesota Vikings on Antone Exum as a potential safety addition. If he's learned Mike Zimmer's defense then he probably can come over to Kevin Coyle's defense without much of a hitch. But the Vikings may not part with him easily since they only just drafted him this year.

22. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Today I Learned Santana Moss is still in the NFL.

23. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    JJ Watt

77FinFan and Fin D like this.
  24. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I wished Indy was loaded at WR because I love me some TY Hilton. Ever since he blew up at FIU I've wanted him on this team.

ckparrothead likes this.
  25. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Man, he sure lived up to the hype last night. Truly amazing player.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Some of yall act intimidated by the deadline, I'm talking about if we're in position for the division at the halfway point, and we're playing well, then I think it makes sense to make a move for a piece..it's a real transactional period, if the Falcons are out and playing bad, then that piece is Hester if their willing to listen, and I don't see why they wouldn't, if their out..let the dude play back home in his final years.

27. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I really like the idea of bringing back Hester, but the Dolphins didn't want him just a short time ago when he was a free agent and all they needed to do was sign him. I assume they're not interested.

28. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    And Hester did not want the Dolphins either..I really wish the two sides could have agreed to a contract though.

Just think of all the ways Lazor could have incorporated Devin's talent within our offense as well.as kickoff/punt returns

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    well shame on hickey once, but now that he has seen explosive production this year on the field, maybe he'll have enough pride to take a hit and go get him.

there really isn't a logical excuse not to, and so many reason to.

miami is an interesting town, a player like that back home could spark some sh:L.

DPlus47 likes this.
  30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    where did you read that?

31. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    If the Dolphins are contending or if they even win their next two games I would look north to Minnesota.

LB Chad Greenway is 31 and only has one more year on his contract.(he would have to renegotiate his 7 mil in 2015)

He should be healthy soon and could be a difference maker on this defense down the stretch.

I would also look to bring in Adrian Peterson with next year in mind. Our division should be up for grabs again next year unless the Bills find a way to trade for Aaron Rogers. Look out if they ever get a QB up there.

These two would be nice to have on the roster in 2015 and they shouldn't even cost much. I'd try to trade for them even if the fins go south from here on. I'd send them hartline and Damien Williams; doubt anyone would have interest in Wheeler.

DPlus47 and Boik14 like this.
  32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    just not all that interested in Peterson, let's give misi his chance.

33. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    If that baby beating sob is ever a Dolphin ill burn all my swag and start watching golf instead

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Don't want him

35. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't see the Falcons trading Hester. They're getting more production out of him offensively than any team really has before. They also will most likely still be in the playoff hunt.

I doubt the Dolphins will do anything, but taking a look at the CB or TE position might be a good idea.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    they've lost three already, that's why I said if they keep it up then take a caculated shot.

37. infiltrateib

infiltrateib Oh Hi Luxury Box

Mar 24, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    It is insane how talented, and how stupid, Justin Blackmon is.

sports24/7 and djphinfan like this.
  38. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Ayers in the doghouse because he doesnt fit a 3-4 based on the way theyre using him. They think hes a pass rusher and he belongs at ILB in that scheme. But since they have no rushers, theyre trying a round peg in a square hole. I agree, id try and get him here cheap.

i like the Peterson idea....hes a name I was thinking of but good job on Greenway. Thats outside the box and can help us. We have McCain and Jenkins but Id like one more vet regardless whether Ayers like Ck mentioned above or Greenway.

Other names Id toss out there: Jordan Cameron, Vincent Jackson

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Seriously doubt CLE would entertain giving up Jordan Cameron. I could see TAM giving up VJax but at the right price. Problem is, he's expensive so you're giving up the pick plus salary.

40. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I would love Greenway on this team. So underrated for so many years.