1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How the Dolphins Defense Set the Tone for Remainder of Season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by VManis, Sep 30, 2014.

1. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Nice write up on the defense from the Raiders game. After loosing Ellerbe and Misi to injury who would have thunk are LBs would grade out so high.

Nothing better then when the D has an end zone party:

[​IMG]

Incidentally, my son has Seattle's D for his fantasy team but pick up Miami last week to cover the bye. Nice!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-defense-set-the-tone-for-remainder-of-season

2. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    As a staunch Wheeler detractor, I have noticed a significant improvement in his game the past 2 weeks.

Rocky Raccoon and RoninFin4 like this.
  3. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I'll take it. still not high on Coyle, but nice read

4. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd say you have to take PFF ratings with a grain of salt after they said Tannehill was the #3 QB in the league. It nice to be somewhat vindicated in Wheeler's turnaround though. I thought he'd perform closer to his 2012 Raiders season when moved back on the LOS; so far he is.

I think Kevin Coyle is a bit of Jekyll & Hyde. When he keeps things somewhat simple and knows when to call blitzes appropriately (i.e. not overusing Double A Gap looks) this D is tough to beat. I think he's got a good creative side to him when he moves Olivier Vernon and Dion Jordan (when we get him back) around, the D functions well. When he starts going to these crazy zone blitzes and drops guys who aren't meant to cover into coverage or uses multiple Double A Gap pressure looks, the D falters.

I'm also somewhat worried that so far this year the best DB Miami has is Cortland Finnegan, but a good margin ahead of anyone else, yes including Brent Grimes. And that being said, Finnegan compared to DBs around the league has been...okay. Hopefully Reshad Jones and a LOT less of Jimmy Wilson at safety turns things around. I'd still like to see them work Walt Aikens into replacing Delmas as the year moves on. The safety play of Delmas and especially Wilson has been horrid.

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    This. I was very anti-Wheeler but he's proving me wrong so far. I hope he keeps it up.

The emergence of Jelani Jenkins is really exciting to me.

6. Arodgers12

Arodgers12 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    How is the phins defense this year? Heard a interesting stat that the dolphins are more of a running team then passing. Week 1 they ran the ball 52% of their offensive plays and put up 33 points and a W. Week 2 and 3 they tried passing more and weren't as successful. I don't know about last week whether your offense was more pass or run oriented. Knowshon comes back that will help you guys a lot.