1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jelani Jenkins - Young Beast

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PhinFan1968, Sep 29, 2014.

1. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

This kid just seems to be VERY disciplined and playing his position VERY well for such a young guy. Always great to see a young guy step up as a starter and prove he belongs.

PFF stuff:

4-3 OLB Ranking
    #1 Jelani Jenkins - 8.0
    #2 Von Miller - 7.0
    #3 Philip Wheeler - 5.8

Not too surprised to see Jenkins there, but am slightly surprised to see Wheeler at 3 (even though he has shown improvements).

With Misi coming back and Tripp healthy, we're looking fairly decent at what is our weakest or 2nd weakest unit.

2. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    He's also been the one calling the defense, even though he isn't playing MLB. He has the green sticker on his helmet...

3. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Ireland says Thanks

gunn34 and rafael like this.
  4. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Not saying much...I could run the draft and hit on as many players as he did...that's sad. Some on this board would crush him.

5. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Stop. Please please please let's keep this thread about Jenkins. No need for a post like this to derail it into 8 pages of Ireland...

Jenkins is really coming into his own...

6. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Relax. I like Jenkins, Let's so if he continues, need consistency

7. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Excited to see him playing well and also to see what Misi and Tripp can do.

8. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I thought he was the worst pick in our draft that year. Quickly making me look like a moron. Love it.

9. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Just goes to show how much we really don't know... Lol

:-)

10. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Second year , only 22 and producing not just showing us snippets.

He's what a LB should be , a difference maker . We need that in that position and he did it again yesterday , he stripped the ball on one fumble , I suspect he has super strong hands .

Could be a revelation in a position of real need.

11. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007

But......

[​IMG]

FinNasty and jpep13 like this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Good point about calling the plays, really intelligent dude, also some don't know but is very strong, obviously has speed..

Btw, he just turned 22, will be 22 all thru the season and beyond, as soon as Misi comes back it will give him more freedom to make plays, covering for Trunsik is a real pain in the ***..

13. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Haha, he was my favorite pick of that draft. Not that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to mid-round draft picks, but I liked him a lot.

He's been very good. He's diagnosing well and he's making plays. It would be awesome to see him continue this and become a stud at LB. He's still a baby. I think he was one of the youngest players in that draft.

14. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I had no idea. That's pretty amazing for a 22 year old. Great info.

15. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Ya, I noticed that he had the sticker this last game. Was a little surprised since typically the MLB calls the D... but found it pretty interesting since I really hadnt heard that reported.

16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I think that is because he plays every down, and Trusnik leaves the field in the nickel and dime. Jenkins may keep the green dot even when Misi comes back. As long as his abdominal injury isn't bad, I think Jenkins is someone you never want to leave the field on defense.

I have to admit on Jenkins that Ireland was smarter than me. The Florida starting Lb trio from 2012 was in the 2013 draft. I thought we got the worst one of the 3, but it appears right now like we got the best one and then some.

djphinfan and Pandarilla like this.
  17. MrClean

I thought Gillislee was overall, but considering draft status, I thought Dallas Thomas was the worst.

18. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Jenkins was always one of the best linebackers on those gator teams. He was easily the most talented and athletic of the bunch. Having him in coverage was like having a 3rd safety except Jelani couldn't catch worth ****. He was also very tough and a leader (I remember him playing significant games with a club due to a broken hand). His biggest problem was that he was always getting hurt.

dolfan22 and MrClean like this.
  19. MrClean

I just thought Jon Bostic and Lerentee McCray were a little better. I would not trade Jenkins for both of them now though. :)

20. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    After four games, Jelani is still PFF's #1 rated OLB, again making their all-star "Team of the Week" for Week 4:

I think we may have found a winner.

(Interestingly, Phillip Wheeler was their "honorable mention" for the honor, and I believe he was ranked their third best OLB going into the game. With Misi returning, who we thought was our best linebacker, this position that we thought was our weak link is proving to be a surprising strength.)