1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win expected. Was good, nonetheless.....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Very nice win for the team. While it was against a very bad Oakland squad, it was good to see some of the things on coming together. Consistency will be the key for this team; especially, at the QB position.

I thought Tannehill's ball placement was absolutely stellar this game. His 30-yard 'in the air' strike to Hartline near the end of the first quarter was nice to see. Hartline was reasonably covered by the safety, and the timing was magnificent. The ball was released when Hartline was around the 40 yard-line and the ball was caught a little past the middle of the field going the other way.

There are still some 'touch' throws I would like to see from Tannehill, as it seems he has one gear when throwing the ball. Because Luck is my fantasy QB (and one of my favorite players in the league), I got to see what kind of touch a young QB is capable of having. I think Tannehill could work on his touch on passes. Luck's back-shoulder to Reggie Wayne for a TD was a thing of beauty.

Miami FINALLY has a legitimate running game. This benefits Tannehill incredibly. I think it's here to stay. The backs seem to have to major holes to run through in the middle, and you have to give the interior lineman credit. While Satele can get blown up at the point-of-attack, he still holds onto his blocks. Bend, don't break. I am a little worried about the working dynamic of the interior line once Pouncey comes back. The backs are also breaking tackles this year! Thomas has always been pretty good catching the ball out of the backfield, and he did not disappoint against the Raiders.

Was nice to see some of the younger backs get some work. Darkwa didn't help himself with the fumble. Williams looked nice, and I think could become something. He and Darkwa showed some promise in the blocking department in pre-season, and as we all know, you have to block as a back in this league. Matt Forte (a Tulane product) is a great example of a back who has been held in to block early this year. Let's see who progresses out of these two. Tough to say, but if I had to choose right now, my money would be on Williams.

Tackling, tackling, tackling. The secondary has to do a better job at this. Bad angles for big hits lead to big plays. Miami finally got some INTs on the board, as they were one of six or seven teams that had not gotten one at the beginning of the game. Grimes looks a little slower, but he still games. Tough to be a CB in this league. I thought his tackling has been bad at times, and then he comes back and does what I think is one of his better attributes, especially for a smaller guy. Maybe he's not working for a contract anymore? Or, he's just aging. Aikens looks big for a DB! I thought he was going to take it to the house. While I had Miami starting on my FF squad, a few more points would not have hurt. They still did very well for me. :lol:

I think there is a team playing 3-4 safeties "regularly" with some of the safeties playing a psuedo-linebacker role and are having success with this. Just wondering if Miami has tried this? I only watch the games once without game/coaches tape, so most of the things I spill out are from memory.

The team looked loose on the sidelines. Nice to see. I think I even saw Philbin crack a smile. They expected to win, and they did it. While I am going to miss Miami football next weekend, it should give some time for the team to heal and work on some of the smaller things. I think the DE covering a back out of the backfield thing is here to stay. They did it again, but with Vernon. I wonder if this is a numbers thing? Maybe some of you guys who have access to game/coaches tape can elaborate on the dynamics of this call.

Do not like the turnovers and missed tackles. Against a better team, the score would certainly have been different. These are basic fundamental things, so hopefully they are shored up over the bye.

Good win. Expected win.

2. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I think the reason for the improved passing game was the lack of an intense pass rush by Oakland. Tannehill passes fine when he's not pressured.

3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Hopefully we see this Tannehill more often than the one we've been seeing since last year against Buffalo.. We need him using his legs more to stand a chance..

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Steelers were also expected to win

5. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    The DEs covering out of the backfield may be Dion Jordan thing when he returns.

6. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

So were the Saints and Falcons.