1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbin accepts responsibility for causing distraction

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CaribPhin, Sep 25, 2014.

1. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ccepts-responsibility-for-causing-distraction

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ok, I'm really not worried about, I don't necessariliy think it was the wrong decision to push someone to understand the urgency at hand, considering the qb does not know how to push himself to that point.

MrClean likes this.
  3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Philbin has explained that he didn't do it for motivation already. He is just completely unaware.

Bpk likes this.
  4. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Tannehill doesn't need motivation. He needs a line that can block and receivers who can catch

5. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    While I believe that Tannehill needs to step it up, I agree with this as well.

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I'm beginning to understand why Parcells kept such a tight ship with regard to what gets out to the media.

What a cluster****.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

7. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Accepting responsibility is fine and dandy. Philnin does it all the time. Just this one time I would like to see him do somethimg about it. A public statement supporting Tanny wpuld ne a good statt

MAFishFan likes this.
  8. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    we get it DJ. you don't like Tannehill anymore

9. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    He might as well be sitting on a stool with a dunce cap, saying I am not worthy of this job. I like quirky sometimes, and I am a Monty Python fan. But there is a time and place. In his position he cannot be difficult to interpret. And he is, and unfortunately, he doesn't bring anything special to his job. While personally as fan there are bigger issues on this team, if I am in management or front office I am concerned about Joe. Many more of these types of surprises and I will break with my conventional wisdom that you don't fire him during the season and take the position the front office might have to save something from the year by doing so. Rotoworld is already saying he is incompetent in leading men. They are no experts, but they represent a view that generally is disinterested vs. the fan base. Normally this might be considered quirky but no issue. Given this team and it past performance under this man it has to be taken seriously. And what concerns me is Joe, being a smart and analytical guy, should have known better.

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm not saying anything that goes against what he's showing us on the field, are you saying that ryan plays with a sense of urgency on every down?, do you see him doing whatever it takes to get a first down?

Understand the urgency of situational football, engage your complete skillset, use your legs with a purpose, are these things not important when evaluating whether we have the thee guy for the next ten years?

I think he deserves the criticism and I think he needs to get pushed to find that sense of urgency within himself.

MrClean and firedan like this.
  11. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    How many times does this ****ing idiot have to **** up and then fix it before we realize he is just a **** up?

Honestly. How ****ing DENSE does someone have to be to realize this would turn into a **** show. He had a chance to put the fire out the next day and chose to stoke it a little bit. He's a ****ing buffoon.

CaribPhin, bigbry and Bpk like this.
  12. Maliki2

Maliki2 New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Swanton, Vermont
    Should have been canned after that ****show last year!

13. OkiePhin

OkiePhin Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I believe everyone is being too damn whiny about this.. If he is asked the same question about any other position and gives the same answer, no one gives a ****.. It's the media being the media and digging for anything to report. I think his response should have been, dont like my answer? Go pound sand..

MrClean and Piston Honda like this.
  14. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Only a moron declines to answer if his struggling quarterback will start on Sunday. If he has a policy about declining to name starters then he should go and stick that policy up his *** because it's beyond stupid.

15. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Put this in perspective. Dumb football from a coach that wants smart football. Invest being a fan for 40 years. And watching too much damn stupidity. And you might say find another team, and you know that doesn't sound too bad.

16. OkiePhin

OkiePhin Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I dont get so worked up. Its a sport that I watch for entertainment. Been a Dolphin fan since the Marino days. There was ZERO doubt in my mind what QB was starting this week. EVER.. Were you at work this week talking about the sky falling bc of Philbins comment? Good grief..

17. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    No, I was more concerned with the big picture. A smart guy showed he hasn't learned much in year 3. If I were watching for entertainment purposes like you I wouldn't expect to be too entertained. Good football and smart game planning are what makes football fun for me to watch. Worked up. Nah. In the big picture there are more important things. But it would be nice to watch some smart football and good coaching. Just a wish.

18. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Privately apologizing to your QB is a bit different than falling on your sword for PR reasons.

19. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I bet Philbin leaked the thumb story to Deadspin. And that's been my avatar for over a year. Maybe I'm clairvoyant?

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  20. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Nice to meet you Clair!

MAFishFan likes this.
  21. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Maybe it is if you said something wrong privately. But when you publicly fail to support your QB and then remain silent for several days, then eating some crow publicly would be the right thing to do.

22. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    This was never a controversy over who was the starting QB. It was a controversy about Philbin using a poor choice of words in in answering a reporter and then being too stubborn to clarify himself. If he wants to have a policy that he doesn't announce starters to the media, that's fine. All he had to do is come out when the controversy broke and say that he wasn't specifically speaking about Ryan when he made those comments (because he has a policy not to address players specifically) and that the media should not make inferences based on his lack of making a comment on any player. I really think this team needs a good PR person because it seems like it takes way too long to put these "controversies" to rest.

Fin D likes this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We've played poorly the last two games but people would rather lose their collective **** over a nothing comment told during a nothing PC. Its so insane.

Its crap like that, that makes coaches not want to speak to the media so they try to be as nebulous as possible.

24. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    We definitely played poorly. People were looking for something negative to jump on. So Philbin put it on a tee for fans, local media and the national media. His nebulous comments also affected his QB. Even when he had a chance to clarify,in spite of seeing everyone's reaction, he stubbornly stood his ground. Terrible mistake by the HC....TERRIBLE! Philbin has only put the "get rid of the clueless coach" spotlight on himself even brighter. He has only himself to blame for this.

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There are plenty of things to be upset about with Philbin, but that comment is not one of them. Its barely a mistake, if at all and everyone is blowing that part waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion.

ElNino likes this.
  26. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    I agree, but this is still a mistake. I would not minimize it either. The HC had to apologize to his team and QB about it. And exactly what was the reasoning behind his comments? Philbin allowed lighter fluid to be poured on a growing fire...with no justification to be so adamant and stubborn.Even with this being somewhat overblown, the national media jumped on it. What did Joe hope would come out of this? What advantage was he looking for? Poorly played by Joe. No other way to look at it.

27. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I don't know. Ask Philbin who is starting left tackle. I don't think he is going to stutter around naming Albert. Ask John Fox who is starting qb, and he is not going to say, "we are bringing our best 46." It was a coach's blunder. The story was as a headline in Miami, as it should be, but its not that bad with the current poop-storm hitting the Ravens and Vikings. I think it is more wishy-washiness out of Philbin. More poor communication, that we saw all the way back to Hard Knocks.

I have a huge problem that we essentially did the one thing that stuck in my craw all off-season. We came out and beat up the Patriots, and then completely took the past 2 weeks off against non-stellar opponents. Just like we ended last season. The fact that we can play so horribly on any given week is a huge problem. There is not a team in this league who cannot whip us, when we pull our limp d!ck routine. This is the big problem with Philbin, and it all trickles down hill from him.

CaribPhin and LI phinfan like this.
  28. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    The real problem is that Philbin is quite obviously in over his head - in many particular ways. Handling the press is not the chief problem from my perspective. Handling the team is! Being acumenically unaware of the firestorm press love to create is a symptom of a larger problem - being unaware of far too many things moving in and amongst the team. He seems to be modelling himself after Tom Landry, minus the hat, the intellect, and the fire. Unfortunately, we seem to be saddled with an owner who is lacking in the perspicacity necessary to really lead the organization in anything more demanding than a Marine Scout raid on a Marseille Cat House.

LBsFinest likes this.
  29. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    And while it is required for an owner to be less reactionary than the fan base, Ross' loyalty and unwillingness to amputate when need be, is hurting this franchise. We have blown opportunities to start fresh. Every new coach or new gm has the lingerings to deal with. Never a fresh start, or the right start, which is how you really recruit the most desirable candidates.

LBsFinest likes this.
  30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Correction, we've played poorly 4 out of the last five.

Fin D likes this.
  31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The sports media are bullies. Just because they blow something out of proportion doesn't mean the coach made a mistake. In this instance they are the ones that are in the wrong.

Again there are plenty of things to blame Philbin for, this one thing is not one of them and detracts from the actual problems.

Piston Honda likes this.
  32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Um...Albert is playing fine and Tannehill isn't. Manning is playing fine and Tannehill isn't. Not sure if you see the difference there or not........

We're talking about a coach that is non committal about a player who is playing poorly. How in the hairy hell is that controversial or even unique?

This is a better discussion than this silly "QB starting answer" stuff.

33. VManis

Nov 10, 2010

Actually a reporter ask Lazor a very similar question. He's response was that no one told him that Albert wasn't untouchable.

34. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I thought he said that about RT, or someone else.

35. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I don't think he is playing so poorly, that his starting status needs to be "toyed with". The offense, collectively, is playing like garbage...which should fall on the coaches. Making RT a seeming scapegoat for team woes is lame for a coach to do. Especially at the KC game, I mean how many balls hit the receivers squarely in the hands for drops? We have the highest paid WR corps, and the most drops in the NFL.

36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    And yet the question was asked.....

Think about it, Philbin didn't just out and out say he didn't know who the starter was going to be without being asked a question. The question was asked BECAUSE the local media felt that a change could or should be made at QB based on the way the team has played. If Tannehill had been playing like Manning, would the media even ask the question? No of course not.

So it doesn't matter if he's actually played poorly or not, the media asked the question and that's now enough reason to question Tannehill's ability and status. That is why I keep harping on the local media being bullies. They create the controversy then grade the team on how they handle the controversy.

Not naming a Sunday starter on the previous Monday is not new or controversial. It happens all the time across the league and throughout its history.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I still wonder if the sh&$ storm wasn't created on purpose to see if some adversity would wake this kid up.

38. VManis

Nov 10, 2010

Its right at the 6:00 minute mark (I think its Omar asking the question)

[video]http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/videos/Lazor-Talks-Tannehill--More-With-Media/24bdca8f-3d35-4a90-ac32-a3cf9b48de9d[/video]

39. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    I may be wrong but hasn't Philbin stated that his response was not motivational... just his policy about talking about who was starting at any position. Then his stubborness let it mushroom into a bigger deal.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If it was meant to be motivational, it would cease to be if he admitted it.