1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Networking - Wireless Help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by maynard, Sep 25, 2014.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    OK so T-Mobile is giving away wireless routers that prioritize wi-fi calling. Its an Asus RT-AC68U. The only catch is I have to return it if I leave T-Mobile.

I currently have a Netgear N150. The Asus blows the thing out of the water. The signal is much stronger throughout the house

I've heard about making the old router a wireless repeater, but have no idea how to do that. I've found some forums online discussing it, but there is jargon there I don't understand. I can't even figure out the basics.

Here is a rough sketch of my house:

[​IMG]

As you can see the line in, modem and wi-fi router are in one end of the house and the 2 TVs with DirecTV are on the other end. The coaxial lines for DirecTV run along the left side of the pic and carry an internet connection.

I'd like to put the repeater by the TV areas, if possible. That's were Netflix streaming happens and I'm getting tired of keeping FinD's raccoon and would prefer to avoid that part of the house

As for the the repeater/N150 router: Do I need to tap off one of the coaxial cables to get the thing to work or can I plug the router in anywhere and have it magically repeat the signal?

How would I set this up?

Is it worth the time of a lazy person?

Fin D likes this.
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    What you gotta do is get on ChatRoulette and ask for help there. You'd be surprised how live, random strangers on the internet can help.

bigbry and maynard like this.
  3. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    maynard likes this.
  4. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Thanks by, I'll try that

I mean... no props for drawing?

5. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    No. That's terrible.

[​IMG]

6. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    its like a picture of Cash with a confederate flag. we just shrug and accept it and move on.

7. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Asus? you mean Anus

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You should hardwire into the BDSM room that way you have more control over your internet streaming video

maynard and bigbry like this.