1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jason Cole: Dan Marino Unhappy with Philbin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Sep 23, 2014.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...impressed-with-philbins-handling-of-tannehill

1. Jason Cole reaffirms his previous reporting that one of Dan Marino's jobs is to advise Steve Ross on whether he has a quarterback and head coach.

2. Cole notes that Dan has reached out to Tannehill, worked out with him and spent time with him.

3. Cole says that Dan Marino was unhappy with the final 2 minutes of the Buffalo game when Philbin decided to let the half run out without trying to score.

4. Finally, Cole says Dan believes you need to be definitive with a quarterback, and that what Joe Philbin did yesterday in his press conference "did not impress Marino".

ToddPhin, ASOT, CaribPhin and 27 others like this.
  2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Woot....Ross gets to make another decision! Snzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

3. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    Another reporter looking to create controversy and dissension. I'll be boycotting this idiot's articles for a good lil minute.

4. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Not much controversy here. It'd be more controversial at this point if Marino WAS impressed with Philbin...

Puka-head, ToddPhin, Ozzy and 24 others like this.
  5. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    It's controversial that Philbin isn't doing a good job?

heylookatme likes this.
  6. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Not being impressed with Philbin makes sense.

Would be interesting to know what Marino's feelings are towards Ross, and his impressed / not impressed view.

ASOT and DPlus47 like this.
  7. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    Maybe he likes Philbin maybe he hates him. I have no idea. If he hates him AND he's talking to reporters about it mid season, then I don't care how many TDs he threw 20 years ago he is a douchebag.

But I doubt that's the case. I'll stick w/ douchebag reporter spreading hearsay and looking for hits/traffic by using Marino's name for now. Let's be real, of Danny had an issue would he be going to Jason Cole with it? I thinks not.

ElNino likes this.
  8. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    Marino's opinion of Tannehill is vastly more interesting to me than his opinion of Philbin, who seems like a lame duck at this point.

resnor likes this.
  9. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    Not really. Ross just gave his *** a job, his feelings are: I want to get paid and not sleep on the couch so I need to toe the line and not snipe at the HC on background, creating public relations issues for my new boss.

10. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Wouldn't be the first person to accept a job and not respect the person who runs the place (even if he was the one to give him the job).

ASOT and Bpk like this.
  11. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    I'm not talking about whether Danny likes JP or Ross. I'm talking about whether he would leak it to the media and what would his incentive be for doing it. OTOH any jack *** reporter would jump at the chance to cash in on the obvious angst in the Dolphin fan base by writing an article about how Danny doesn't like this or that.

BTW. Doesnt the OP work for bleacher report?

12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That job is to advise Stephen Ross on football-related matters. He shouldn't be leaking things like this to the media, but the fact that it got out doesn't mean it was Marino.

ASOT, 77FinFan, DPlus47 and 3 others like this.
  13. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Oh man, if we had only signed Drew Brees instead of Culpepper. So many years of hideous mistakes. It's phenomenal.

Following hard after the Dolphins is becoming more and more like a recurring nightmare. God have mercy.

14. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    You do realize Marino could have said this in private and then someone else told the reporter, right?

ASOT, DPlus47, RevRick and 1 other person like this.
  15. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    FinD alias?

ASOT and Fin-Omenal like this.
  16. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Great news

17. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    No genius, I didn't realize that. Thanks for breaking me off w your expert analysis.

Please tell us who was sitting in on Marino's private conversations and leaking them? Personally I think It's more likely that Cole is talking out of his *** but that's just me.

18. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Get 'em, Dan.

19. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    There's no need to get snarky, you're the one that's speculating a bunch of different possibilities, I just gave you one you didn't mention.

ToddPhin, ASOT, Hiruma78 and 2 others like this.
  20. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    Youre implying that Cole has an actual source that is privy to the conversations between Marino-Ross and that within a few hours of Philbin's press conference he had spoken to Ross and then leaked or had someone else leak the details of that conversation to BR, AND that BR decided to make a whopping 1 minute video about it.

Yeah, OK.

21. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    My bad. It's just frustrating to see fans be taken for a ride by dumb *** attention seeking reporters. Watch the vid. Cole never claims to have a source, he basically says Marino was brought in to advise Ross and then gives his opinion on what Danny might have thought about specific decisions. It's comically bad but it's perfectly timed to tap Into the anger that has arisen over the past few weeks.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Who said anything about a conversation between Steve Ross and Dan Marino?

As someone who often gets texted this sort of information I happen to know how fast that kind of information can leak. Fast as the speed of text.

And yes Cole probably got the info from someone close enough with Dan to know that he didn't like the handling of the last two minutes of the half against Buffalo, and didn't like Philbin's being wishy-washy on who will start this week.

dolfan32323, Bpk, DPlus47 and 2 others like this.
  23. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Any word on how Marino feels about RT? (I can't watch the vid at the moment)

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Cole intentionally phrased it the way he did to protect his source.

I was given the exact information contained in Cole's report hours beforehand, and there was no grey area there. No speculation of what Marino "might" be thinking about this or that.

ASOT likes this.
  25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Cole's report had nothing on that. Nor do I, for that matter.

26. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    So basically everything we heard or suspected or even guessed, were right.

27. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Derp.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah I mean if you've been following Marino for a long time, or for those people that actually know him, everyone knows what his disposition would be in those two situations. Can anyone with a straight face try and say that Marino would be understanding of Philbin's decision to close out the first half against the Bills even though he had 2:30 left on the clock and three timeouts? And can anyone try and convince themselves that Dan Marino would ever be OK with pretending that your starting quarterback might get benched this week, just to light a fire under him?

Dan would have FLIPPED OUT if these things happened while he was quarterback, and not in the "Yeah, go Marino! You're awesome!" way either. He'd have flipped out in the bad, team destroying, he might be arrested kind of way.

ASOT, MAFishFan, Bpk and 1 other person like this.
  29. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014

99% of QBs would prefer to try and get points with 2+ minutes to go in a half. Which is why the HC makes the decision and not the QB.

Philbin wasn't wishy washy on starting 17 this week. Just because he doesn't want to play along with dumb reporters and their loaded questions doesn't mean he's considering a QB change. From a coaching stand point if the media wants to run wild with silly stories like Matt Moore starting then it's less time they spend talking about the changes that might actually be made. Some coaches may feel the need to dispel the silly was but either way it has no bearing on how the team performs on Sunday.

30. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Really now?

ckparrothead likes this.
  31. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    I don't think what the head coach is doing with Ryan Tannehill at quarterback should ever be compared to what he might do with Dan Marino at quarterback.

32. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Not until he forms a committee first and then that committee will decide Philbin's fate.

MAFishFan likes this.
  33. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    There are still people that defend Joe Philbin?

I mean, he has literally done nothing to deserve a Dolphin fan's defense. Zero.

Like if you did one of those checkered scale things where you put a checker in the pro side and a checker in the con side, the pro side would have 0 checkers

ASOT likes this.
  34. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Good call out CK.. I think you predicted the exact same reaction by Marino in club literally minutes after Philbin sat on the ball.

While I initially agreed with Philbin sending out a message, watching the Dolphins drive down the field against KC proved exactly why the call to sit on the ball was cowardly.

dolfan87 and ckparrothead like this.
  35. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    Beating NE by 2 TDs was impressive.

36. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Helen Keller could have guessed Marino felt this way about both matters. 99% of any former successful NFL QB would feel the same....

-Don't get conservative with almost 3 minutes, 3 time outs and a 2 minute warning to go

-Don't cut your young QBs legs out from under him to the media (especially when your coaching has been in question just as much)

Cole could COMPLETELY be throwing **** against the wall and chances are he's 100% right anyways. But anyone could have told you that.

ASOT, GARDENHEAD and cuchulainn like this.
  37. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Okay. Thanks.

ckparrothead likes this.
  38. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Until you look at NE 3 weeks later and realize they're very bad.

ASOT and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  39. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I think you have zero idea to what you are talking about. You lack the context and info that some of the other very respectable posters in this forum possess. And while I can't fault you for that, it's making you look a bit silly at the moment.

And, if Marino was brought in to evaluate different parts of the organization, HC and QB specifically, then he's doing what he's supposed to do. rock the #$@KIN boat.

Ozzy, ASOT and MAFishFan like this.
  40. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    It's funny because in the past week everyone in here and the Club all said the same thing. There is no way that decision sits well with Dan. He'd ignore Philbin and throw the ball. He's ON VIDEO stating he would defy run orders and pass the ball.

So what happens this week? End of the half, our offense still looks like crap, the same setup from last week. Philbin decides to do something and we get 3 points out of it. Why the sudden change a week later with similar circumstances? Is the justification provided by those defending Philbin's decision no longer valid?