1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbin non-comital to Ryan Tannehill against Oakland

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SICK, Sep 22, 2014.

1. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Breaking everywhere, getting it from my phones alerts via bleacher report, Miami herald and sports center. I guess he would not dismiss the idea of Moore starting Sunday in London.

Take that how you will....

link: http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...wont-commit-to-ryan-tannehill-as-starting-qb/

2. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    Wow. Huge.

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    IMO Philbin is going to use RT as a scapegoat so at the end of the year when his *** is about to get ****canned he can say he had no viable QB play....

You know what you have out of Moore, he is a average NFL starter at best, you have to give RT the full year undeterred with a new scheme and coaches and let him battle it out....

Phins_Fan_87, ToddPhin, bran and 5 others like this.
  4. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Now all we need to do is start a new head coach.

5. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    This season is taking a bee line straight to the ****ter.

Superself, flip5071, 77FinFan and 3 others like this.
  6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Matt Moore is a good QB. I like him. I think he's more than capable of starting if you need him to. See 2011. Problem w/Moore is this... He's going to make some mistakes. Some "WTF?" plays and turnovers. You've got to ride w/him when he's cold because when he's hot, he's hot. You can't be wishy washy with him. I think this offense is good for Moore. I wouldn't mind him getting a look at him now. Starting him against Oakland is a good warm up for him.

Bpk likes this.
  7. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    At least they're doing it quick and not giving us hope into December.

8. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Philbin is an absolute embarrassment as a coach. **** Joe Philbin and **** STEPHEN ROSS

9. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Congrats Yank, biggest word you've ever used.

I agree with you.

ToddPhin, SICK and finyank13 like this.
  10. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Philbin's job has been tied to Tannehill ever since he and Ireland decided to draft Tannehill in 2012. While I question Ross's ability as an NFL owner. I think he would be smart enough to

understand if Philbin attempted to place the blame on Tannehill for his poor record as the Dolphins HC, Ross would just laugh at him and tell him he's still fired.

finyank13 and Pandarilla like this.
  11. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Might strictly be a case of "Tannehills a$$, meet fire." For the most part I've been a Tanny backer but I'm starting to realize that this might be a case of what you see is what you get, with him. I know theres been a ton of drops, I get that, but Tannehill is not progressing like I hoped he would. No excuse anymore...it seems Tannehill never has a great game, its always the same old average play by him and its getting old real fast.I honestly dont think he gets benched this week but if he does, so be it.

12. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Wow, that's pretty ridiculous. You can't bail on the guy you drafted a couple years ago three games into learning a new offensive system, not when you were banking on him being the franchise QB. I really don't think Matt Moore gives us a better chance to win games, so I really don't see the point here. You let Tannehill finish out the season to you can evaluate him the rest of the year to determine if you should be extending him. I know it seems like we may already know the answer, but it just doesn't make sense. If we had drafted a guy this year that we wanted to see, then for sure.

Likely its just a matter of Philbin trying to motivate Tannehill to being better. I think he needs to look in the mirror though at himself, and his staff first and foremost.

13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    This is Joe Philbin's decision to do this. He has to accept whatever happens. He created a quarterback controversy before one actually existed. His own offensive coordinator completely undercut him by making it crystal clear Ryan Tannehill is the starter. But that won't be in all the NFL.com, ESPN.com, etc headlines.

Gonna go out on a limb and say it's just another dumb move by a dumb head coach.

14. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    This is a lose-lose situation. Either we 1) Start a Moore, a below average qb, and still have no idea where we are at with Tannehill and prepare ourselves for a loooong season, or 2) Tannehill starts either way, but Philbin has publicly shown his lack of confidence in him. Either way this was the worst possible way for Philbin to have handled that question.

In unrelated news, what head coaches could we sign next offseason when Philbin is gone?

15. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Really? Did Lazor say that today? If so, wow.

16. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't like Philbin but I agree with this approach. He's trying to motivate/put a fire on Tannehill's ***, and honestly if this doesn't work, nothing will. While sure the coaching deserves a lot of blame, Tannehill has not progressed at all, he still plays like a rookie quarterback. Unfortunately we picked a very bad year to suck, there are no quarterbacks worth drafting in the first round next year.

RGF likes this.
  17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Yeah this guy just doesn't get it. Hope we make the right move this offseason when replacing him.

18. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Matt Moore is better than Ryan Tannehill. That's been true for 3 years since Tannehill has been in the league. The difference was always, Ryan Tannehill had a higher ceiling and perhaps could become a franchise QB whereas Moore will never be that. Since it's starting to become clear that Ryan probably isn't going to evolve into a franchise QB, let the best one play.

19. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    What a joke, tannehill hasn't been great. But yesterday dropped passes bad coaching bad defense was the issue.

Dan was great all-time great, that is, and we didn't win any sb w him. U need a team and we don't have anywhere close to complete team

Starting Moore just means diff excuses

20. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Why give RT that full year and not Matt Moore? What has Tannehill done that entitles him to a starting spot?

The best player should play.

21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I believe his exact answer was, "Do you have any doubt I'll be the coordinator this Sunday?"

Sumlit likes this.
  22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Matt Moore can't catch passes, cover running backs out of the backfield, or make good coaching decisions......He can't play special teams. It isn't all Tannehill. Moore is a band-aid. This is ****ing stupid on Philbins part....hes blaming RT and not taking responsibility imo.

mbsinmisc, ToddPhin, bran and 2 others like this.
  23. NCPhinFan

NCPhinFan Active Member

Sep 22, 2014
    I agree. I have had high hopes for Tannehill and he has shown what he can do when he is at his best (the New England game at home last year). This year, we put all our chips in the center of the table and see what we have. If he continues to struggle, we move on.

24. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    How could you have no idea where Ryan Tannehill is as a QB?

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  25. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Is that supposed to be rhetorical? Is Sherman still available?

26. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Yikes.

27. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

My top selections would be

1) Jim Harbaugh- but I just don't see him wanting to be the HC of the Dolphins

2) Kevin Sumlin- He's done a great job at Texas A&M and I think he would be an excellent NFL head coach

3) Jimbo Fisher- Unlike some of the other college head coaches, he has been able to build a solid offense and defense. I don't think he wants to be an NFL HC and would probably prefer to remain at FSU, but you never know unless you ask him.

Those would me my first three picks to replace Philbin, but I am sure there are hundreds of other candidates for the job who would be better than Philbin.

28. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Starting Moore for any reason other than a Tanny injury is a complete disaster. What happens if he comes in and pulls a 9-7 season out of his ***? We're stuck with Philbin at HC and just as bad, people will be calling for Moore to return as the starter. Worse position to be in than 1-15 and starting over.

29. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    He's not blaming any one guy. He just said the best 46 guys will play.

I'm down on Philbin but personally I think he's just trying to motivate Tannehill.

unluckyluciano, RGF and Mcduffie81 like this.
  30. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    You have wr *****ing bout play time and then drop crucial passes. Football is rythm and momentum, more you have better confidence. Offense as whole collapsed, defense followed suit. Winners believe they wil win no matter what , hopefuls hope they win. When it goes south, winners fight and believe, hopers quit. We quit

31. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think Tannehill starts against Oakland, I'm not sure he finishes the game. If we're down at half time, I would not be shocked if a change is made. Tannehill telegraphs his passes too often and he throws them like darts, he is inaccurate unless the receiver stops his route, can never hit anything in stride.

32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He's just creating more drama when it's the last thing we need.

mbsinmisc and SICK like this.
  33. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Maybe, but if Tannehill can't deal with the adversity then he's not the guy anyway.

It's gut check time for #17.

Fin-Omenal, unluckyluciano and RGF like this.
  34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    And now we're reportedly having a meeting to weigh benching him? lol

If that's true then our coaches are idiots for the idea and for leaking it to the press. If it's fake then whichever douche made it up should be out of a job.

35. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Gut check from who? The guy who coaches with no balls?

36. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I personally don't think Philbin really said anything he wouldn't normally say. I also don't understand what Lazor meant when he said what he said. I took it kind of as "everything is uncertain".....I guess? I feel like too much is being made of this.

If I'm wrong and there is a possible QB change, then I'm all against it. I don't want to see Moore squeak out a few wins. I want to see Tannehill's full potential and either sink or swim in this offense.

37. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Gut check time for everyone, really.

38. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I think this pretty much signals that Philbin's job is toast. We're going to get a new HC and he's going to want to draft his own QB. Tannehill will still be here next season, but we will draft a QB "to compete" and odds are he'll "compete" his way to being the starter.

39. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    I can't even explain how hard I am laughing right now. Philbin needs a committee to tell him what he should do with the QB. His incompetence has no bounds.

SICK likes this.
  40. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Looks like what will hopefully be one of the last desperate acts from a desperate man.

Didn't read his comments but I hope he and the other coaches took responsibility instead of trying to insinuate it was more on RT.