1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THill Questions

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slickj101, Sep 21, 2014.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Anyone else feel like we're telling him to stay in the pocket more?

Previously I always felt like he was pretty eager to take off when the pressure came, almost too much at times. This year I feel like he's sitting in the pocket waaaay longer. Makes little sense when all we heard about was how we'd be using the option more. Where the **** has that been?

Btw I feel like Tannehill isn't as bad as people are making him out to be. League leading dropped passes, awful playcalling, and weak pass pro is all taking it's toll.

The best part is we finally have a solid running game for him and we barely ****ing use it.

adamprez2003 and SICK like this.
  2. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    My problem with Tannehill is that he plays like Joe Philbin coaches...SCARED & CONSERVATIVE. Run around....make things happen when a play breaks down...throw a ball deeper than 15 yards more than once or twice each game...be a leader...grow some nuts.

3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    That's my point. I feel like before this season he was the opposite, to a fault at times.

4. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

That's a pretty good summary of how he's been looking IMHO.

5. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    He's always hung on to the ball for too long, that's nothing new.

But I agree, not utilizing the run properly, and dropped passes sure as hell are hindering him this year.

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Idk what you guys are watching then. I see a guy hanging in the pocket getting lit up more often than not and still hanging in there to throw.

If he was scrambling more then it'd be, "see he's scared to stand in the pocket and throw as evident by how fast he just pulls it down to run."

Scared and conservative def summed up the play-calling the last 2 weeks though.

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    hes not scrambling. At a certain point it feels like watching a dog with an electric collar on who knows he can't run past the line of scrimmage. He knows the coaches will zap him i guess.

8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol Exactly what I feel like I'm watching. Makes zero sense.

9. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

It's because he has no feel for the pocket or pressure. Can't blame that on the coaches.

Fin-Omenal and Sceeto like this.
  10. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    honestly i dont see him being the problem. getting tired of saying this year after friggin year but until we get an offensive line like we had in sparano's first year, you could have marino back there and it wouldnt matter. tannehill is moving in the pocket. problem is when he escapes one rusher he gets hit by another. its a jailbreak out there. the playcalling is headscratching and the receivers apparently put olive oil on their gloves but it all starts with the offensive line. maybe pouncey will help. god i hope so

11. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    it's not even that man. even when he breaks free from the pocket, the idea of scrambling isn't even an option. dude REFUSES to cross the line of scrimmage.

LI phinfan likes this.
  12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Kind of tough when you generally have at least 3 rushers hitting you from 3 diff directions.

Love how we've been rolling him out too (sarcasm).

heylookatme likes this.
  13. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I can't disagree. He needs to use his legs and athleticism more. It's time to give up on making him a pocket statue.

His pocket presence and movement is not good, but I also don't think it's the disaster some make it out to be. It's difficult to look good in the pocket when you step up from a free rusher and another guy is right there to get you.

14. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I'm tired of blaming an offensive line, WRs, scheme, whatever. I want Tannehill to be the guy. Badly. I'm tired of the Dolphins having to start over, but he's doing nothing to show me he is the answer. He doesn't seem to make the players around him better. I get that he's not Marino and no one is asking him to be that. Land between Marino and Fiedler and I'd be fine. Right now? I'm longing for the days of Gus Frerotte.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It's always been about can his game win on the road in playoff atmosphere, if he had the time would the skillset be good enough throwing the football..?

16. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    or perhaps it's better stated...... "Tannehill plays like Joe Philbin [and Zac Taylor] have coached him to play.... SCARED & CONSERVATIVE". Wasn't this mentioned last year- something about the coaching staff not wanting Tannehill using his feet because they thought it would hinder his development as a pocket passer?

Does nobody else find it concerning that Tannehill's QB Coach [Zac Taylor], ex Asst QB Coach [Ben Johnson], HC [Philbin], and ex OC [Sherman] have ZERO combined years served as a QB coach at any level? I know it's easy to compare Tannehill to Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck, but look at the difference in coaching involved. Wilson's QB coach [Carl Smith] became one in the NFL in 1997. Wilson's OC has been Darrell Bevil who previously served as Brett Favre & Aaron Rodgers' QB coach, and his HC can actually coach, lead, and get the most from his players. Luck's QB coach [Clyde Christensen] began as one in 1980, and his OC was an NFL QB coach for 3 years and began coaching quarterbacks in '97. Besides getting to watch and learn from Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers' first 3 years were spent under the tutelage of Darrel Bevil (5 previous years of NFL QB coaching), Tom Clements (has basically done nothing but coach or play QB since 1970), and Mike McCarthy who served 5 years as an NFL QB coach.

Ironically enough, prior to Lazor's arrival, I believe the last time Tannehill had a coach with NFL QB coaching experience was in college under Tom Rossley who began as one with the Falcons in 1990. Perhaps that's why Tannehill was able to progress at a rapid rate in college despite the lack of experience. There's obviously the possibility that this is still all on Tannehill, but we'd be kidding ourselves to think an inept coaching staff isn't capable of holding back a perfectly good QB, especially one who entered the league with less experience and more need of coaching than the typical draftee. Miami tossed "Coaching For Dummies" at Tannehill and expected him to succeed. Outside of general throwing mechanics, what can Zac Taylor possibly teach Tannehill about the pro game? What NFL wisdom can he impart on Ryan to better prepare him and advance him mentally? Prior to Taylor joining the Dolphins, the depth of his positional coaching consisted of 1 year of college tight ends IIRC. His full NFL resume consisted of playing 7 weeks with the Falcons in '07 and was released before taking a preseason snap. That's it. We might as well have Seth Lobato coach Tannehill; at least he attempted a pass in preseason.

He can't grow any nuts if Joe has his sack squeezed firmly in hand. If Philbin & Taylor did indeed program Tannehill this way, then Lazor needs to hurry up and deprogram it before it's too engrained. It seems logical to me that, if Miami's staff [past and present] wanted to see Tannehill using his feet, we'd be watching him make attempts at it. It's not like he's using them and failing; he's not even using them at all. Considering two of the praises of him are how coachable & hardworking he is, if he were encouraged to use his feet he'd at least attempt to do so, and we would've heard about efforts during practice and training camp to foster his mobility unless I missed it. Unfortunately for Tannehill, the focus this offseason needed to be on mechanics, something Zac Taylor should've already squared away if he were a qualified NFL QB coach. IMO it's quite possible that we're watching Tannehill's progression occur at a snail's pace because his coaching staff has simply done a poor job developing him and maximizing his attributes.

17. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm OK with conservative as far as not letting him run. RT is a poor runner and you certainly do not want to get him hurt.

RT running is not going to make or break the game. It may break him tho. Same goes for Manuel last week and Alex Smith this week, them running did not make or break the game.

That's one major problem I have with Coyle. The defense preaches containment for the threat of QB run, however that is such a minor part of the game, and putting great weight on it shows what a tool Coyle is.
    If you don't have personnel who can run down the QB on few scrambles, and pop him good, you are facked anyway. Talk to the GM.

18. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ... but that's nepotism for ya. Why hire a QB coach with a vast amount of NFL experience when you can instead hook up your son-in-law with a first time gig in the league while you have the chance? :unsure:

That's one of many questions I'd want answered if I were Ross b/c it's clearly not in the best interest of his franchise. Sherman sure as s*** didn't bring Zac Taylor with him because he was the most qualified QB coach available. His old *** knew that if he didn't hook his son-in-law up right then that it might've taken years for him to land a quality NFL job. The joke's on us though I guess, as Sherman/Philbin made a college coaching assistant responsible for molding Ryan Tannehill into a great NFL QB. lulz. I wonder if we even interviewed QB Coach candidates in 2012 to at least mask the ensuing nepotism.

brandon27 likes this.
  19. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Amen to that.... all of that. There's definitely something to it IMO. Tannehill looks so lost, and confused out there, but so does the entire team. Like everyone's just going through the motions, trying to get to Q4 0:00

ToddPhin likes this.
  20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

This sounds a lot like how Henne was brainwashed into playing...."gotta make safe throws and get that FG!" We've heard Joe in the media say a Ryan just needs to "let it rip" so I dunno where this mindset came from. My best guess is that being sacked 58 times last year has really taken it's toll on him mentally.

21. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I wonder if Tannehill was one of the players that was heated in the locker room.

22. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Perhaps he will be a better QB on the next team he plays for. I just don't see the new HC next year wanting to risk his job by hoping Tannehill can finally become more than the below average QB he is right now.

I think that the next HC will use the Dolphins first round pick in the 2015 draft to select a new QB of the future and Tannehill will be the backup on another NFL team next year.