1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We are #1 in rushing yards per attempt....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinswolverinesrockets, Sep 21, 2014.

1. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    yet after Monday's games play out, we'll be around 26th in rushing attempts. You want to know why our offense sucks? Because we don't stick to what we're good at. Imagine how great we would be running if our QB who has 4.5 speed actually runs too.

5.2 yards per rush without our Pro Bowl center or our athletic QB who refuses to run when a play breaks down.

CashInFist and JShady like this.
  2. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    If Tennehill would have ran on that one play where he threw the ball all the way down the field out of bonds, I think we would have ended up winning. Why the hell did he think he had to throw that ball when he easily could have ran it for the first down.

3. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    He sucks. I have no other explanation.

Bpk and JShady like this.
  4. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    Chad duck feet Henne would have ran for that first down easily.

5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    We will never be a playoff team as long as Tannehill is quarterback. I don't see much difference between Tannehill now than Chad Henne's last few games with us.

JShady likes this.
  6. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

That one bewildered me too...and there were a few others he had green green grass ahead, but didn't pull it down.

7. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    Chad Henne could actually connect with his receivers for the long ball, but yeah other than that, you're right. Well Tennehill is faster but he doesn't use his speed so it doesn't matter.

8. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    If he gets a coach who actually utilizes a true read option (Malzahn), I think Tannehill could be a decent QB who could make us a winner. He's not the type of QB who could be great in any system. He needs the right system that will make him run.

9. OkiePhin

OkiePhin Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    There was a 3rd and 1 if I remember correctly where he had room up the middle after being forced up. He threw an incomplete pass instead. I was yelling RUN, RUN!!!

10. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    I'm all in favor of giving Tennehill a chance with a new coaching staff. Who would you all like to see be our Head Coach? I wouldn't mind Jon Gruden. Players would respect him in the locker room too.

11. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Chads problems were the constant check downs, bad accuracy and bad decisions. He lacked confidence in his ability to improve at his game. He also was never that talented to begin with, he has a ceiling . Ryans problems are bad reads on receivers, bad deep ball accuracy and most of all, pocket awareness and knowing when to throw it away, when to scramble and when it's ok to take a sack. So with Tanny the underlying problem is mental, he has the confidence and attitude, but has mental lapses. Can we hire Pennington to coach Tannehill? If he had Pennys brain along with his physical gifts, he'd be elite.

CashInFist and JShady like this.
  12. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    Holy crap, well put. I miss Pennington so much.

13. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Problem was Sparano/Henning didn't like using vertical style offense. They liked the horizontal offense in box system. So we never utilized Henne's arm strength. By the time we hired Daboll to finally do more vertical plays, Henne was set in his ways with what he was taught. Also Daboll sucks as an OC.

14. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    I just don't understand why we don't run the ball 40 times per game. We ran about 40 times in week one and won. The last 2 weeks we are averaging about 15 carries per game. How stupid is this? Our QB sucks. Run the damn ball...WE DO IT WELL!!!

15. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    If we kept running and running wouldnt you guys complain about that too? Especially if it wasn't working? I agree the playcalling was crap, especially on long and very short downs. Seems like Lazor outsmarted himself. But we complain when were too conservative, running is conservative offense after all. Can't believe how much we miss Moreno.

16. PhinFan1968

Not when we're racking off 7 yards a carry I wouldn't complain...ever...I was yelling at the screen "RUN THE DAMN BALL" quite a bit today.

Run it until they stop it...and they didn't.

17. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    What could we lose with starting Brandon Fields at quarterback?

18. PhinFan1968

We didn't miss Moreno today...Miller was running better than he EVER has. Why you don't ride that I have no idea...15 carries...senseless.

19. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the reason why the dolphins won game 1 was because the team pounded the ball with moreno and miller, they combined for 35 attempts for 5.5 yds a carry. today miller and thomas averaged 7.3 yards a carry between them, in 88 degree heat with high 90s humidity and they touched the ball a combined 17 ****ing times. while tannehill threw over 40 times.

this game should have been a grind on the chiefs, the dolphins should have fed miller and thomas the ball every chance they could, instead for some reason the dolphins OC wanted to get cute, you run the ball 9 yards on first down, ****ing run it on second down.

20. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I can't even comprehend this right now. Going through the last two games of '13, and then the catastrophe that was last week and today, #1 YPA? Is this real life? wtf. I can't even right now.

bran likes this.
  21. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Miller was getting 7 yards per rush today. I don't think anyone would have been complaining if he had more carries. When we ran almost 40 times in week 1, I didn't see one complaint. I saw everyone here celebrating.

gilv13, bran and PhinFan1968 like this.
  22. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Henne only got to play 3 full games with Daboll as OC, but in that time he appeared to be improving to me. I have always wondered how well Henne may have done if he'd stayed healthy the entire 2011 season.

MAFishFan likes this.
  23. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    But at least with Moreno he inspired others. We don't have anyone else like that on this team.

dWreck likes this.
  24. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    This was my point, if we missed anything it was the fire he brought the players. The energy was real, man.

Bpk likes this.
  25. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    Moreno was the leader of that team, which is sad since Tannehill should be it.

Bpk likes this.
  26. PhinFan1968

Ya it was. But when it comes down to yards (which we needed to score) Miller was racking them up just as well as Moreno did. The "fire" shouldn't have mattered to the play-calling between run/pass.

27. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    1 coach I will say has been an upgrade would be Benton. That OL is light years better than last year's. Yes they've given up some sacks but I'd put those more on Tannys lack of pocket awareness than anything. Satele has been solid filling in for Pouncey since this scheme fits him. Albert and James have been solid except for an occasional hiccup here and there. Colledge has also been ok but he's old. RG has been the biggest weakness. So far no one looks much better than Jerry did. We're definitely looking for new guards next year that's for sure.

28. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    Would you be okay with Satele at center and Pouncey at RG?

29. PhinFan1968

While I'd agree Benton is an upgrade, I wouldn't say they were light years better today. They got handled in pass pro, and did well in run blocking. Another reason I can't understand why we abandoned the run.

30. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    After watching Jerry/Garner/Smith/Thomas crap the bed at RG and Satele holding it down at C, I'd be ecstatic if we did that. I'd even argue that Pouncey might even be better at G since it's what he was until his senior year.

31. MrClean

When our pass pro gives up a sack it is most often by far because RT17 holds the ball too long.

32. PhinFan1968

Well not necessarily with just sacks...but the pocket seemed pretty sloppy overall...too many tipped passes and a lot of pressures.

33. MrClean

Even going back to college, RT17 has had an inordinately high number of his passes batted at the line. He's also had more dropped passes than most QBs going back to his college days. His release point, and telegraphing where he is going with the ball may account for why his passes are so often tipped. Why he has so many drops, even when his throws are accurate, I have no idea.

34. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This part I don't agree with. Satele did well against New England; he's been his usual self since. Pouncey is a top-flight C; play him there.

35. MrClean

The question for me is, would we better off with Satele at C and Pouncey at RG, or Pouncey at C, and Thomas/Smith/etc at RG? IMO, the answer is the former.

36. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Can we move Tannehill back to where he started too?

37. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    You don't have to agree, and I'm not trying to be condescending, but have you seen Satele's run blocking in this scheme? He also hasn't been giving up many sacks nor has be bobbled any snaps. He isn't the next Dwight Stephensen or on Pouncey's level even, but he is not even close to being the weaklink on this OL. He could be hell alot worse, like everyone we had trying out at C in TC when Pouncey went down. Thus far, he's been a pretty good re-signing for us so far, mostly because he's an athletic center and fits in zone blocking schemes. If anything the weaklink is G, mostly RG.

38. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    If he did what Russel Wilson did against the Broncos today with this one play, why not?
    [​IMG]

CashInFist likes this.
  39. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I strongly disagree with this. I think when our pass pro gives up a sack, it is most often by far because the pass protection is bad.

Sometimes it is because RT17 holds the ball too long. But that's certainly not the overwhelming majority of the sacks we've allowed.

slickj101 likes this.
  40. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'd love to see that stat.