1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Harbaugh's status with the Ravens

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Ronnie Bass, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I don't think he will get canned since it sounds like he wanted to do the right thing BUT after the ESPN story that broke it looks like the Ravens could be forced to clean house in the front office, so you got to wonder if Harbaugh would be interested in sticking around if say Ozzie Newsome is shown the door. Maybe the Ravens ownership give Harbough more control but maybe this has become such a mess he wants out. Especially when the Ravens threw him under the bus disputing a report he wanted to cut Rice.

Just throwing it out there no matter how slim some might think him leaving is but if he does leave and we have another disappointing season....

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Would want him over Jim.

3. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    Actually I didn't even think of Ozzie coming to Miami but now you mention it he would be an interesting option. I was more looking at Harbaugh coming to Miami if Philbin falls on his face, I wanted to connect this to Miami but quite honestly some people in here get quite touchy if you dare to think that far ahead. But bringing in both Ozzie and John Harbaugh would be a home run for us.

CashInFist and Skyfire023 like this.
  4. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    In a heartbeat

5. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I think Ozzie's looking just as bad as the owner at this point...cover-up artists. No thanks.

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    This.

7. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I don't know who knew what when, especially Ozzie, but I did have to laugh that ESPN reported the Baltimore owner sent Rice a text following his dismissal from the team, following the 2nd video of inside the elevator, and in the text said, to the effect "whatever happens with your playing career, once you are done playing, you will always have a job on the Ravens as an advisor to all the young players on showing them how to adjust to life in the NFL, etc".

amazing....

8. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Would definitely want Ozzie here...

9. PhinFan1968

Totally agree.

10. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

IIRC...Ozzie was the one who came out and said Ray Rice told them the truth...and his version is exactly what showed on the second tape.

Also..the Ravens are set to rebut that outside the lines piece by ESPN this week

Id rather have Jim Harbaugh..to be honest. Thats because I still remember him as Captain Comeback...and I like his fiery demeanor.

11. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I think both the Raven's season and ours would have to fall apart for this to even be a possibility but considering the Ray Rice saga is far from over I could see a split with Harbaugh and the Ravens being a slight possibility. Bottom line, if John Harbaugh becomes available we would be incredibly stupid to not go after him. If Philbin wins 10 games this year, we make the playoffs so be it but if we don't make the playoffs and John is available its a no brainer, we go after him and get him.

12. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Just a thought. Martin fiasco, OL hell media frenzy, fire coaches and or GM to bring in the last years failures to fix Miami's personnel relations and future as a team?

Before this yes but to reach for it now? It has ugly all over it.

With the media love we have what a joke we would become.

13. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Reports are that Harbaugh wanted to cut Rice immediately after he admitted to the domestic violence. No reports have come out stating what Newsome's response was to the Rice incident.

If on the other hand the ownership of the Ravens did offer Rice a job after his playing career is over. Perhaps it is the ownership of the Ravens who are the real problem and not Harbaugh or Newsome.

As far as Newsome becoming the GM of the Dolphins and Harbaugh being hired a the HC, I would take that in a second and not think twice about it. Harbaugh would be a big upgrade over Philbin and even though Hickey seems to be an okay GM. The chance to hire one of the best GM's in the NFL over the past 20 years doesn't come along very often. So if the Ravens ownership was dumb enough to fire Newsome over the Rice incident, Ross would be a fool not to try and hire him.

14. PhinFan1968

OTL had reported Newsome flat declined Harbaugh's request and was in cover-up mode...

15. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    John? The guy that finished the season exactly the same way we did with back to back losses needing only 1 win for the playoffs? And with a much more experienced QB/team I might add. The guy that has a losing record without Ray Lewis in the lineup? The guy that has one of the best GMs in the league? Thats the guy you are clamoring for?

Jim Harbaugh is the beast. John Harbaugh is ok.

16. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'd much rather have John than Jim. Absolutely hated Jim as a player. Couldn't stand the guy. He'd be a total *** one minute, and then try to shove religion in your face the next. Seems to be the same unstable nutjob as a head coach, success or not. Doesn't seem to be the type who makes many friends with the way he does business, and time after time ignores things that are obviously true because he doesn't want to talk about them. John seems much more stable and down to earth.

17. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I have some very close friends that are DIE hard Raven fans. They can't stand Harbaugh. Take it for it's worth, but they think he is inept as a coach.

18. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Perhaps you need to look at the number of playoff appearances the Ravens have under Harbaugh. Also, a Harbaugh coached Ravens team has won a Super Bowl and made numerous playoff appearances with a QB who is only slightly above average.

Personally I would take either Harbaugh over what we have at this time.

19. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Excellent points. I desperately want our next HC to be someone with NFL head coaching experience, and preferably some success, under his belt.

Saban
    Cameron
    Sparano
    Philbin

Four rookies in a row.

CashInFist likes this.
  20. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Assuming that their views hold merit (I don't know your friends or about Harbaugh enough to say that do or they don't), maybe we should be just a bit wary.

21. roy_miami

Oct 11, 2013
    So what, he's allowed to coach poorly for a season? Its all good man, take a year off...

And perhaps Flacco is only slightly above average, but thats still a lot better than Tannehill, and Newsome is one of the best GMs in the league and Ireland was one of the worst. You don't think that has any impact on matters?

And like I said, John Harbaugh has a losing record without Ray Lewis in the lineup. Look at the difference Moreno made for our team, sometimes one or two players like that can make all the difference for a head coach. You would hope the QB would be one of those difference makers but that doesn't look to be the case for either of our teams.

22. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    The Ravens were 8-8 last year, not a losing record, his previous seasons records speak for themselves. He's 9-4 in the playoffs and he's had the Ravens in contention every year except last year. Ray Lewis wasn't coaching the team or playing on offense, I mean this can't be a serious post.

23. roy_miami

Oct 11, 2013
    That team collapsed, yes or no?

24. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    For a second I thought you were saying you wanted Saban, then I read the other names and breathed a sigh of relief.

25. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Not really, it just was not a very good team that year. They lost 8 starters from the SB run, a record for a SB winning team. Also, they lost to 2 superior playoff teams. We lost to some jackoffs.

IIRC Flacco collapsed pretty hard. Tough to survive your QB going south.

26. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    No, they had to retool the team after giving Flacco that huge contract. They lost a lot of starters and Rice wasn't effective. 8-8 isn't a collapse, I don't think you are making any sense here.

27. roy_miami

Oct 11, 2013
    What doesn't make any sense is you making excuse after excuse for their head coach but those same excuses don't apply to our head coach. Even with the retooling their team was still better than ours. Their QB is still better than ours. Their GM is a hell of a lot better than our was. Considering everything was in John Harbaugh's favor how can his 8-8 be considered a better job than Philbin's 8-8?

28. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Name a great Hall of Fame coach without a bad year? This is why you're argument makes no sense whatsoever.

29. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Because he has the hardware to show it. If you think Philbin is as-good or better than John Harbaugh, I don't think there is much point in debating.