1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 50th Mr. Olympia

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sethdaddy8, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Its streaming on Bodybuilding.com

Congrats to Iris Kyle for winning 10 straight Mrs. Olympias! An amazing feat, having the most muscular and aesthetic female physique for over 10 years! Insane accomplishment.

Men's prejudging coming up. Let's go Kai Greene!!!

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One aspect of working out/fitness lifestyle I could never get into.

To me, purely imo, the whole deal is a bit disconnected, "I lift weights so..I can lift more weights!"

Did think Cory Everson was badass back in the day

3. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    As far as bodybuilding goes, its the polar opposite. They don't care about ego lifts, don't care about bench press and moving weights. It's just about how much they can grow a muscle, how much they can bring up their weaknesses to compete with their strengths, and how low they can get their body fat%.

44 yr old Dexter Jackson has looked best thus far in prejudging.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Which is sort of my point SD, building a muscle for the sake of building a muscle, a sort of circle b/c then you have to add symmetry to the mix.

When I power lifted I realized this, only it came at a price of aching elbows

5. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Better elbows than back or knees. To each their own. Because of the slow and concentrated form used in bodybuilding, it is far safer than power lifting, and helps longevity wise to bring some muscle mass into older age...not to mention the under rated cardiovascular benefits of weight lifting.

But to each their own. I can far more relate to building the size of a muscle, versus trying to run 26 miles in an afternoon.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This we can agree on, runners are mentally damaged

Better to carry muscle as USUALLY men and women lose muscle mass as they age and then issues pop up. Power lifting served me well, never "lost' the mass and explosiveness.

Body Building tho..wow..appreciate the discipline and work, just would prefer to be athletic then really jacked

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    *waits patiently for DJ to post something hilarious*

8. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Yeah, I really enjoy weight lifting, and if not for it, I probably wouldn't do anything physical in an attempt to keep myself healthy. But I could never be a competitive bodybuilder. I am just not wired to be obsessive and disciplined enough. It's an outrageous level of commitment. And I won't insult what they do with the old "I like food too much" comment. They like it too, they just make the tough choices.

9. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I can't get into it either.....And yet I see many girls into it at the bodybuilding.com message boards. They love the Olympia and then I start to think, is me not liking that lifestyle sort of the same as a guy not liking any sport? :lol:

I love going to the gym, I hit every part twice in 6 days per week, but I would never think about growing muscle as big as possible just to grow it, like a professional bodybuilder such as Phil Heath would, doesn't look appealing or attractive, and I'm already very insecure about myself.

Those professionals go through months of 4-5 hour training per day, it's ridiculous. lol

Fun fact, I remember reading once that Arnold won the Olympia with only 7 weeks to prepare after an offseason of focusing on his role for the movie Conan (though he did participate in sword training/a lot of running for that movie).

10. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I love Arnold, I mean I LOVE that guy, childhood idol. But he was pretty much promised the 1980 Mr. O, if he would simply compete to help promote the show.

Politics, like everything in life, has it's place there too.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Cool, I'm wired the other way, weight lifting is sort of a add on to a healthy life style of walking and biking etc, do admit it does feel good to look good in a tank top in warm weather so I lift but not the hour and a half affair it used to be...now lift about 20-30 minutes and super set a couple of times a week.