1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Must Play 3DS Games

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by finsincebirth, Sep 19, 2014.

1. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So I'm looking to get a new 3DS game, and was looking for suggestions on must plays. Anyone have any (I'm looking at you Des)?

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Bravely Default
    Pokemon (any)
    Zelda: Link Between Worlds
    Theaterythm Final Fantasy

finsincebirth likes this.
  3. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    What type of game is bravery default? RPG? Also which Zelda would you say is most similar to Link Between Worlds?

4. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Bravely Default is a old school rpg by SquareEnix, but with modern amenities and tons of Final Fantasy call backs. It's very well polished but the pacing comes to a crawl in the middle to late game. The story is your typical rpg tropes of 4 youths going on an adventure to save the world, but with a twist. Things aren't exactly as they appear. The characters are good, Ringabel is entertaining and Edea has her moments.

Link Between World is essentially Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past II. Nearly identical overworld map, same bosses, but again modern tweaks that make it more playable. You can rent items now, so instead of finding the bombs in the dungeon, you can rent them and keep it until you die. This allows you to tackle the dungeons in any order you want. There is also a hard mode after you beat it. This is an amazing game and I highly recommend you pick this up.

I'd also throw in Fire Emblem: Awakening. It's a tactical strategy turn based rpg where you command units on various battle fields. As the game progresses, your units level up and become stronger, and your army grows as you recruit more people. Each unit is a unique character, and fighting together allows them to become friends which unlocks unique dialog and bonuses to combat. The classic mode features permadeath, so if you lose a unit in battle he's gone forever, which is a hallmark of the series. There is a casual mode that turns this off. Awakening was kind of Hail Mary for the developers where if it sold poorly they were going to cancel the series. They ended up jamming it full of the best parts of the earlier games, and it shows. Remember before how I said units can be friends? Some units can marry other units, and that allows you to recruit their children later on. The children are the strongest units in the game, so it's worth it to get them.

finsincebirth and Stitches like this.
  5. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007

Picked up Bravery Default last night. Read the description and they had me at square enix. Haven't had much time to play as I downloaded it from the eshop and didn't realise it would take all night.

Have you guys played any of the Mario games or even Donkey Kong? I always lived them as a kid but wasn't sure if they were quality games or just nostalgic throwbacks.

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies (or anything with "Phoenix Wright" and/or "Professor Layton" in the title)
    Zelda: Link Between Worlds
    Super Mario 3D Land

And basically any DS game you might have missed, like the Dragon Quest games, Castlevania, etc.

Mario 3D Land is great. Definitely give it a try. DKC Returns is a good throwback to the SNES series, worth a shot.

7. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Kid Icarus Uprising
    Luigi's Mansion
    Mario Kart 7
    Pushmo and its sequel Crashmo

8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Here's a must play. Newly announced Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D. Coming in 2015.

[video=youtube;Hj6cXziHpjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj6cXziHpjQ[/video]