1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lazor - "There's no doubt that the blame rests 100 percent on me"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
  2. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    Please post this in the "Philbin is a coward" and "Tannehill is a bust" threads!!!

3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Or the coachspeak thread

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  4. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Tannehill being a bust or not has nothing to do with the various lousy gameplans of our various lousy offensive coordinators. It has to do with his lack of decisiveness on the field and lack of accuracy with long passes. If he can't improve on those this season, he'll be watching us draft another QB this offseason.

Kucha likes this.
  5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Nice of him to say but cmon. I thought he did a good job getting 2nd half going. Sherman couldnt last year

6. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Calling Lazor a lousy coordinator after one bad game plan is ludicrous.

7. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I'm not singling him out. We've had a lot of lousy coordinators. Not to mention lousy head coaches and lousy QBs. He might not be lousy, but he did a lousy job Sunday.

8. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    His job is to install a consistent system, not to be Malzahn one game and Holmgren the next. He failed.

9. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Still, lumping the last 10+ years into these two games is ludicrous... That's the thing about the NFL, each team is different from season to season. In the old days, back in the 60's to early 80's, FA was nonexistent and you would have 'dynasty' type teams, but FA has changed all that, each year, each franchise fields a different team, whether or not there are coaching changes... What Jay Fiedler did has nothing to do with Tanny, in fact Tanny from last year doesn't have a lot to do with Tanny this year...

10. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

One thing that was different from NE to Barfalo is that the front 7 of Barfalo is light years better than the front 7 of NE...that has to factored in. I don't know exactly why, other than the fact that we are divisional opponents, but we have not lined up well against the Jills for years...Don't get me wrong, this O has to get better and while the play selection and injuries are big parts of it, individual skill players (Tanny, Wallace, Clay, Miller, Moreno, etc) have to also get better...

11. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    :pity:

Sigh. I think that's more or less falling on the sword...and for more than just Ryan Tannehill.

12. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    The Bills definitely deserve props for the way they played on D and ST. Offensively, they didn't do much other than attack the LBs and a few pick plays, most of all they didn't make any major mistakes.

As for the Dolphins, def some issues to be worked on but don't underestimate the loss of Moreno. He was a major part of the game plan, going forward Lazor will have to find other ways to get the run game going because the pass game isn't where it needs to be at this point.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I think Wallace deserves props as the only player on the team making difficult catches.

So far it seems, if the pass isn't perfect then the Dolphins receivers/runningbacks can't make the catch.

14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Wallace had a good game against the Bills but he had a pretty terrible game against the Patriots so I wouldn't be lauding him as the only guy catching the football or something like that. Against the Patriots he let a pass donk him right on the facemask which is like Little Giants tragic and hilarious. He had that ball where he failed to get both feet in. He let one hit him right in the chest and had to double clutch it to keep control. If we're talking about him being the only guy showing consistent hands or some such then I think those need to be mentioned.

resnor and RoninFin4 like this.
  15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    By the way I think Bill Lazor showed us what he really thinks of Joe Philbin's decision to be a coward heading into halftime when he was asked about it and he said the decision to be conservative versus aggressive "has nothing to do with my wishes".

He went on as the good soldier and went through his talking points toeing the company line about how they regrouped and settled down at halftime and they started off the half with a couple of good drives. But he also made it a point to mention that they really didn't engage that many halftime adjustments, just a few tweaks.

Bill Lazor is first and foremost a good soldier. He's been an assistant coach his whole career. But I think he found his own way to make it clear that he had nothing to do with that decision.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  16. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    Bill Lazor was first and foremost a failure last week and Philbin saved his dumb arse with those 6 runs at the end of half.

17. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    He was pretty awful last week. Especially the first half. I think the Spiller return completely took the wind out of our sails though. As did the Moreno injury.

18. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    What did you see that the team did different in the 2nd half? It was like all the sudden the line could block, Tanne had time, and the plays worked.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's the thing, there weren't that many adjustments. They just played a little better.

It emphasizes the fact that even though some people would like to pretend that a few first half drives where bad things happened established some kind of air tight trend that was bound to continue unless something drastic was done to change things, in reality it was a few drives that went poorly. If they'd tried to go into two minute and scored before halftime, it could have been that drive where suddenly the Bills couldn't get their pass rush going. That's the inherent volatility in the sport. Lazor himself said they only made a couple of adjustments at halftime, nothing major.

20. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I was a huge critic of the execution on Sunday, you think there's anything behind SB's supposition that they went with some scripted plays to start the 2nd half?

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I doubt that. But I don't have any information on it.

22. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Too often on Sunday I found myself saying "That wasn't a bad play but why in the **** did you run it then"
    I'm glad to see Lazor putting the blame on himself. He was awful.

23. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

We need to come out against the Chiefs like we did against Atlanta. Ya I know it was pre-season, but that was efficient, simple and successful. Strong starts are SO powerful.

Make it happen Bill!

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There was one particular 3rd & 7 play where we ran a draw and that was a bad play call.

HOWEVER, given the structure of the offense, it's not totally clear who made that call between Lazor and Tannehill. Bottom line is Lazor, because he shouldn't be calling that sort of option on 3rd & 7.

25. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

That one lit me up too...I was looking for Sherman on the sidelines.

26. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Put down the pipe.

27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Fans hate it but I have no issue with that call once or twice a game in the right spot. Sometimes you catch the defense offguard which I'm sure was the intention.

28. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Found meself looking for Henning on a few of those snaps.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

29. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    IIRC Thomas couldn't get the block to spring Miller, but I think it was Kyle Williams that made the tackle so it was going to be a tough job for Thomas to make it happen in any event.

30. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I've watched two Eagles game so far and have yet seen anything similar... I thought Mike Wallace said we only used 12% of the playbook in preseason, guess he meant 120%.

31. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    I initially felt the same way, Tannehill should have changed the play call when he saw the defensive alignment. Then I watched the play a few times and Satele & College both did a horrible job w/ their combo block. The double team on Dareus failed, the 2nd level block on Bradham was even worse. Miller actually made Bradham miss in the hole but Dareus was their to clean it up, after tossing College aside like a rag doll.

It was a recurring theme throughout the game, poor execution from pretty much everyone at one time or another, in all three phases. 34 and 97 made critical errors on punt and KO coverage which led to 10 points. 17 missed 11 heading to the post with no middle safety again this week, minus 7 points. 17 missed on other throws too, including a few easy ones. 66 got abused by Kyle Williams numerous times, ruined a couple of drives, eventually got benched. It wasn't just him either, 64 and 71 were tossed up quite a few times too.

29 dropped coverage on Watkins allowing a big play to set up the first Buffalo FG. 21 had an embarrassing effort trying to tackle Spiller on his big run after the team had climbed to within 6 in the 3rd. 93 and 25 were caught looking inside on that same play, 93 was at or near the scene of just about every big play the Bills had. Coincidence...Or Nah?

On a positive note, 70 is a looking like a friggin stud :yes:.

mnfinfan, Silverphin and Finatik like this.
  32. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Difference is, the Eagles have playmakers on their offense.

33. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This is seriously the most fair assessment I've seen posted. You're getting a fist pump when I get home.

/sincerity

34. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    It was a pretty good call based on Buffalo's tendency (Hughes especially) to fly up field in obvious passing situations, it also shows people you're willing to run it on 3rd down, setting up play action later in the game. It could've been a relatively easy first down. 70 and 66 did a good job on their combo block, 64 and 71 not so much. Poor execution will kill even the best play call.

Fin-Omenal and DPlus47 like this.
  35. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    That was great coverage on a TE and a heck of catch on the sideline. We know where 93 was on Spiller run, but where was 91, rushing the passer?
    Defense did well.

36. Sinthesizer

Sinthesizer Banned

Sep 15, 2014
    I thought 91 did his job on that play, forcing the ball back inside to his help, well, to where his help was supposed to be anyway.

Chandler made a terrific play, though if 93 tugs his arm down at the last second the way 21 did vs Watkins then it's an incomplete pass. 93 was also the Culprit on Watkins' deep crosser off play action and the shallow crosser that went for a score later on.

I don't agree the D played well. When the O is struggling, as they clearly were on Sunday, you want your D to step up and make a play. An INT a fumble, a few sacks, string together a few 3 and outs. They did well to hold Buffalo to FGs early on, then caved as soon as the O scored to pull within 6. A 3 and out after the Wallace TD and Whoa Nelly we have a ball game.

37. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm sure he would've done a better job than 29 if given a chance to play nickel.

38. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I thought the punk block was on 34 initially as well but in re-watching it, it looks like he is expecting help from 31 on the inside. 31 shifts to the left and ends up with no one to block so I'm guessing he is the one who screwed up the blocking assignment.

Heads up play by 34 to pick it up and advance the block. If that had happened against us the guy would have gained the first.

39. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Whether it was his fault or not I forgave him due to the awareness he had after and the desire to try and make something of his mistake.

Mistakes happen in football just like in life. I'm okay with mistakes as long as you give the effort to correct them.

40. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I really don't know if Lazor is a good OC or not. I think he could be if he had a quality QB for the offense he wants to run, but he is stuck with Tannehill instead.

The more I see of Tannehill as the Dolphins QB, the less I feel like he is the long term answer at that position for the Dolphins.