1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Philbin gave up on this game...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TheHighExhaulted, Sep 14, 2014.

1. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    with 2:30 left in the first half and all three timeouts and he decided to essentially sit on the ball.

I know we weren't moving the ball at all in the first half but there was no excuse for that.

Anybody know why he did that?

2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Based on Tannehill's comments, Philbin did that because the offense hadn't shown him enough to trust them in a 2 minute drive...then Tannehill was like, "I don't blame him."

Fkn cowardly decision in the first place...and where the hell did Tannehill check his balls? He's really lacking in confidence...they need to get his head straight and FAST.

3. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    If this is true..

STRAIGHT LOSER TALK.

Kud_II and PhinFan1968 like this.
  4. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    That series really pissed me off too, we had all three timeouts right? That was the only series all half we were moving the ball. It was completely gutless football.

Pandarilla and PhinFan1968 like this.
  5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Yeh..would want Tannehill to be pissed that he didnt get a chance to score.

lol.can anyone imagine what Dan would have done?

6. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    They started moving the ball and would have probably gotten points. That continued in the second half. Philbin is the weakest link on this team. I put this loss on Special Teams, Philbin, Tannehill, and the OL in that order.

Pandarilla likes this.
  7. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    If that was the mindset going into that drive then forget it, this team has no business competing for an AFC East title.

mroz likes this.
  8. PhinFan1968

Anybody think Marino's in Ross' ear about today?

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    What a sobering question. He would blow up at even the suggestion. Somehow, some people are actually defending this decision.

A coward's a coward and that's what Philbin coaches like.

10. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Today is the first time I've ever wanted Matt Moore to start over Tannehill and wanted Philbin to just be gone. I'm embarrassed to be a Dolphins fan right now. That game was pathetic on every level.

11. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Absolutely. It was embarrassing.

12. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Haven't been that angry watching a Dolphin game in a long time. Spineless to not even take a shot. Went into the half with 3 time outs in his pocket. In that spot, even a few short passes could have got us going.....even a FG there would be huge. Nope. What exactly did we have to lose in that spot? We had to try to steal some momentum going in at the half. Scared Coaching at its best.

13. Arodgers12

Arodgers12 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    You guys have a bye week before you play us. I honestly think Miami will beat us. It was a great win over the Jets but our D got sliced up by Geno.

14. pdaj

pdaj Well-Known Member

I've been a Philbin supporter, but I can't disagree with his decision enough. It was a 9-0 game. Once they reached the 50, they had a bout 10-15 seconds left. A completion down the field puts them in field goal range; and they're potentially going into the half 9-3.

ckparrothead likes this.
  15. PhinFan1968

Well Geno looks a LOT better than last year...at least the little I've seen. He could have a solid year.

16. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    8 seconds left in the half and the niners didnt even give up.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

17. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Does not matter what Dan would have done. Dan was a QB god. Ryan is still a wannabe.

18. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    A good chance Harbaugh will be coaching the Phins next year.

Funny how a poor RT doesn't completely cripple an offense that's well coached.

19. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    He would have hit a f-----g open target. He could hit a non-open target. Are we actually comparing the two?

MrClean likes this.
  20. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Not talking about on the field. Talking about on the sideline. Dan would not have been ok with his coach giving up at the 2:30 mark.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

21. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I think they are talking about Marino's reaction to sitting on the ball if he were QBing......not comparing their abilities.

byroan likes this.
  22. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I understood. My point is a coach would never do that because Dan is one of the greatest QBs of all time and I'm sure any coach would feel a lot more confident with Danny at the helm. He's proven himself time and time again. Tanne was lost and floundering. Big difference. Not worth mentioning.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  23. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I understand not throwing the ball when you started at the 15. But to run out the clock when you got to 40 is poor leadership.

24. As far as I am concerned philbin ran out his own game clock with me. I have seen enough to know he is not the right guy to rely on to build a winning team.

25. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    So to interpret this dialogue into the bluntest terms possible: (no media sugarcoating)

Philbin;
    "Tannehill go sit on the ball, you guys have been lousy and I don't trust you won't go and make things even worse"

Tannehill:
    "Good call coach, your right, me and the offense suck donkey nuts" :knucks:

Mentally this team never had a chance to win. Buffalo defense probably got a boost from this too... they knew Philbin/Miami was scared of them.
    If you go down, go down swinging, not running in the opposite direction.

26. PhinFan1968

A-f***ing-men.

27. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    If there were a second left Dan would have tried to score a TD .Even if it were intercepted chances were it was not going to be a pick 6....although it happened on occasion.

28. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Ryan Tannehill looks like a zombie on the field with his emotionless and perpetually confused face. Philbin looks like he's been dead for around 5 years. These are the people leading our team.

29. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    That was a surrender.

But I'm much more concerned with a coaching staff that loses to the Bills exactly the same way 3 times in a row: Them pressuring our QB and our lack of pressure making theirs look great.

Good coaches do not let the non elite beat them the same way over and over.

30. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

To be accurate , Tannehill did also state he wanted to try to score , to go for it , said "as a competitor" he wanted to not essentially play scared or too cautious. Lots wrong with today.

31. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    I was indifferent to Philbin at first but i'm starting to get annoyed by just the sight of him. At least Sparano had a personality, this guy is flat and overall seems uninterested one way or the other.

32. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    He beat Brady and Belichick the last 2 games.

33. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

it wasn't just Tannehill that was floundering in my opinion. the D even looked to be struggling at that point. as much as it pained me to see how the half ended like that I understand why. we were only down by 9 at that point, it would have been over before the second half had started if Tanne threw a pick six there. we were getting the ball at the beginning of the half and the offense was showing absolutely zero ability

showing this much struggle from Tannehill, considering he played better last year with a crappy coordinator and no O line I can' tell if this is what he is or if he is really struggling with the new offense..

MrClean likes this.
  34. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Look, if you want to complain about Philbin, that's you prerogative, but to act like he was the reason we lost and to not put any or most of the blame on Tanne is so disingenuous and agenda driven, imo.

MrClean likes this.
  35. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Oh, I know it wasn't only him. I never said that. The whole team looked bad. Actually, for the most part, James was handling Mario, but the whole team did look bad. However, like so many freakin' other times, there were many points left on the field by Tanne. It did not have to be that bad. From there the dominoes fell.

36. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Tannehill didn't have a good game but who on the team did outside of Mike Wallace? Brent Grimes? Who played well? Did you feel the coach made good decisions? The QB played poorly but when the entire team looks bad, how is it disingenuous and agenda driven to say that the coach deserves the lion's share of the blame? Is the coach not responsible for the QB as well?

37. PhinFan1968

STs and drops cost us more than RT...not saying he did well, but he had accomplices.

Doesn't mean you fold going into the half before you draw.

38. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    The Bills aren't a bad team, but I agree with you. You can't keep losing in the same way. Again and again.

39. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Since I was responding to Vt and not you, how do you know he wasn't talking about on the field?

40. Kingtut561

Kingtut561 New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    West Palm Beach Fl,
    This. Buffalo makes us look like the worse team in the AFC east.