1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Matt Moore Thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Sep 14, 2014.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Well, we are going to get to this conversation eventually, so I figured that I may as well get it started a few weeks beforehand. At some point this season, Matt Moore is going to take over as the starter and lead this team. He was more accurate throughout the preseason and he's much more accurate with the deep ball, so I just don't see Lazor waiting too long with such a great receiving corp that's being wasted.

Today, Tannehill missed 10 foot screen passes by 3 feet, consistently misjudged timing routes over the middle and struck out twice on deep passes (although the Hartline throw was almost perfect). I'm not even concerned about the bomb though, because its being inaccurate on all the short stuff that's really killing us. This whole offense is geared towards quick throws and if Ryan can't make them accurately but maybe 1 out of 5 times, he will be shown the bench. Despite several excellent traits, there is no replacement for pin-point accuracy in the NFL and he just doesn't have it.

I think he gets a pass going into Oakland since they have big holes in pass protection, but I don't think he remains on the field much longer than that without a fantastic display in that game. I have a fairly strong feeling that we come out of the week 5 bye with Moore under center.

Muck likes this.
  2. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Pass

3. Patssuck

Patssuck Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    Moore is not better

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Fun sitting here watching Geno Smith make passes Ryan can't. Ridiculous

5. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Tannehill is the investment...Moore is not.

If he flops this year, Moore wouldn't take over the team anyway, so it doesn't make any sense to move to him just to come out with the same record, or worse. Buffalo smoked our asses...4 of the last 5 times we played them. We've won 2 in a row against New England....I can't figure it out. We had a lot of bad moments / drops last week, then even MORE this week. Can it get worse?

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Yet he's better in every statistic that matters, including leadership abilities.

There's a bigger picture here though, and it's one the fan-base doesn't really see from the outside. This isn't just Tannehill's make or break year, but it will also decide the career of Philbin, Hickey, Lazor and several others as well. They're not going to just sit by idle this season and hope for the best, so something has to happen quickly.

7. Patssuck

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    leadership huh? ok we are going start making bull**** points then how many fourth quarter comebacks has Moore lead?

8. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    On balance I don't think we lose or gain anything by starting Moore, except we would gain on competitiveness, which was the reason I was for starting Moore this season. But, I doubt it happens. The whole gameplan is tailored for Tannehill.

9. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Moore is a guy that needs a decent OL, a good TE, a few decent WRs, and capable RBs. I don't see any reason why he couldn't give you a 88-90 QB rating season. We've been hoping for that from Tannehill.

10. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I agree with this take. We have to see what we have in Tannehill and that means giving him most of if not all of the season before we throw in the towel. Moore is not going to be here for more than a year or so, we have to give Tannehill his chances and hope we were smart in drafting him when we did. I thought Tannehill was downright awful for a lot of this game. Millers drop, Sims drop last week, there were some NOTABLE drops that could have changed things a lot in both games so its not fair to just drop it all on Ryan but his accuracy is alarmingly bad at times and its a huge concern. We are at the point where we need to be thinking about the long term, is he worth a big contract long term? Not yet but he will get a few more games before getting yanked but it could happen and before this season I thought he was a pretty solid bet to be our long term answer.

11. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    How about an 0-8 season that he finished at 7-9? He had 4 comeback wins in that 8 game stretch alone, which tops Tannehill for his 34 starts.

dolfndav34 and Muck like this.
  12. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Another 10 point performance next week and I am right there with you. Let Moore earn that $5 mil.

ElNino likes this.
  13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Ready to move on from 17...year 3 my ***

Sceeto likes this.
  14. Patssuck

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    ok I see everyone is super emotional and illogical .... I will move on

15. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Matt Moore isn't going to win this team the Super Bowl. Ryan Tannehill probably isn't going to win it for this team either, so why not start the guy you are developing and have invested in to this point? Ryan Tannehill starts 16 games if healthy, and you make your decision on him going forward accordingly.

After 2 games, not looking good for #17. We might have a different opinion after 16.

MAFishFan and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  16. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Exactly. That one he just hit in the corner of the end zone. Wow.

17. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He played well in this system in the pre-season. No reason they shouldn't consider it. I don't particularly remember any glaring weaknesses to Moore.

18. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Called it ;)

19. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    It's been two games guys. Two ****ing games. Let's relax a little bit.

20. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Because you can't develop accuracy issues after 2 full seasons. Either it's there or its not.

21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    We can only imagine, I've had it with RT...he's never going to be a franchise QB

Sceeto likes this.
  22. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yes. Start him!!!!!!!!!!

23. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    The issue is whether they should pull a plug on him now, knowing his deficiencies. Or wait 4 more games, or 6, or this full season.

24. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    My view is and always has been that the Dolphins could win just as many games with Moore as their QB as they can with Tannehill.

This doesn't mean I think Moore is a quality starting QB in the NFL. I think he is no better than a mediocre starting QB who is probably one of the top backup QB's in the NFL.

I just don't think Tannehill will ever be more than a mediocre QB in the NFL and therefore, Moore or Tannehill as the starter for the Dolphins will probably make no difference in the teams record at the end of the season, IMO.

25. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It would be nice to get to the playoffs in the first place. Potential is one thing but in year 3 I think you are starting to see who the guy really is. Worse QBs have won Superbowls.

Moore took a 0-7 team to 6-10 with two close losses. This team is better than that team.

26. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Well, I would say this: I think that he is in the process of having his mechanics and timing tweaked by Bill Lazor. I expected growing pains and I'm hoping he can show improvement.

As for the idea that players can not improve on it, this was posted here during the week: http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?83060-B-Arians-on-QBs-in-New-Systems

27. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Like I said earlier, too many things are on the line for this coaching/management staff and Lazor already called out Tannehill in a game we won by 17 over our biggest division rival. I just can't see him sitting idle on this for too long.

28. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    You live or die with Tannehill. Moore not you're future regardless. You find out if Tannehill is or not. To quick to give up on regardless

SICK and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  29. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I'm not saying that he can't improve; I said that he's no longer at the point in his career where we say, "No big deal, he's still developing." Peyton Manning is still developing, but that doesn't mean that he gets a pass every time he flubs a pass...and he's one of the greatest to ever play the game. So that excuse isn't going to hold up all season long...not this season with so much on the line.

30. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree, but it is Philbin's job on the line if he sticks with Tannehill and the season goes downhill. I expect the Dolphins to win their next two games, but it won't surprise me in the least if Philbin and Lazor don't go with Moore as the starter later in the season if Tannehill doesn't start to show vast improvement as the season progresses.

31. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

If they lose either of the next two games...I'm gonna be in a really bad fan-place.

CashInFist likes this.
  32. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Moore didn't have any issues in the system. It's not the system, it's a lack of pocket awareness, ball placement, and not throwing it deep. TDs are a huge indication of how good a QB is. Pennington was excellent at getting them, so was Moore, and so was Frerrote to some degree. Those guys led Miami to their best records.

33. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    If Tannehill doesn't get better quit, there isn't going to be much of future in Miami for him, Philbin or the rest of the coaching staff.

34. JamesyEsq

JamesyEsq Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    England
    They are better off just sticking with Tannehill, if he continues to suck, well you probably get a good draft position to pick up a QB and you gave him a chance to turn it around. The problem is that will result in this staff losing its job, so from their perspective, starting Moore might be tempting at some point.

35. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    The backup QB is always the most popular player.Everyone loves him....until he plays.Think Ray Lucas .:wink2:

Jt0323, SICK and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  36. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    You don't give up on him on week 2

SICK likes this.
  37. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Moore might have better leadership skills, I do think he excels better in that area than Tannehill, BUT it's not enough for Moore to replace him....yet...and if we do have to go that route THEN it might be time to go into that "Throw in the towel" thread and vote Yay.

Our success this season centers on Tannehill, not Moore

38. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Me too. I most definitely agree.

39. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    They should be able to handle the Chiefs at home and the Raiders are one of the worst teams in the NFL. So going 3-1 shouldn't be asking too much of this team. Anything less than 3-1 going into the bye and this could end up being a very long season for all us Dolphin fans.

40. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I disagree with that. This coaching staff is fine, the system is fine. Lazor screwed up today. He obviously yearned for passing game since last weekend. Wrong game plan. We had 74 total plays, Buffalo had 59. 21 Rushing attempts, 49 passing attempts, and if Philbin did not intervene at the end of half, this would've been even worse. He will go through these mishaps as an inexperienced OC.

I've said all along, the front 4 and LBers of the Bills are not a threat to our running game, Bills have killer secondary, and Lazor decided to go bonkers with the passing game, the result was 4.0 YPA and 4 sacks. He facked us up.