1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So we lost....how many are throwing the towel in?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Sep 14, 2014.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Yeh loosing sucks...no doubt about it. Loosing to the Bills makes it even worse. But we are 1-1....with a stretch of some very winnable games in front of us. Everyone wants a team they can root for and they win all the time. We haven't had that in a long time in Miami, but I for one am not gonna cry about our QB sucking...our line sucking..Philbin sucks.....we lost, so easy to rant like that.

So...just want to know how many are gonna fold your cards and quit?

Buffalo played a great game...in an amazing environment. They have won fewer games then Miami for quite awhile..yet that place was easily as crazy as an Seattle crowd I've seen, their crowd deserves props.

We have some players coming back that we need ....Jordan, Jones, Pouncey.....our offense will only get better. To those that arent ready to cry and run...look forward to the rest of the season with yall.

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Not giving in. I've been a huge Tannehill defender but I have to admit I'm questioning it. I'd love if he came out next week and looked great just to shut me up.

3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The next two games will pretty much decide if we are contenders or pretenders. We need to go into the BYE at 3-1 and beating KC/OAK is doable.

Dorfdad and ASOT like this.
  4. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    tanny looks bad. Real bad.

5. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    Its equally as ridiculous to overact to this game as it was to overact to the win against the Pats last week. It's a long season...but today was the first day that I seriously wondered if Tannehill will ever become a good/great QB. Drops aside, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn today.

6. vt_dolfan

Hes got some issues no doubt about it. On some throws the guy looks unstoppable...on others...hes lost. What I do know it....Matt Moore isnt the answer, and I dont know that theres anyone in the draft next season that will be available that is. All we can do is watch the season unfold in front of us. I will agree that right now....he hasnt shown he is our answer. Whether that changes...we will see.

Hiruma78 likes this.
  7. vt_dolfan

I expect to win the next two games. To be honest....I can see us winning the next 5, but lets start with next week.

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Anyone throwing in the towel after today, should just renounce their fandom and go eat a root.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not I HOPEFULLY that stubborn as hell Staff realizes Miller is not the answer and to give Williams more touches, iron that out and we look good going forward as THill stumbles when it is all on him.

Thought the Lb's were exposed and thought Coyle did not plan for Watkins seriously enough.

Rizzi's unit...uhm...I hope some of those guys are renting, when even Fields is stoinking punts one knows they just were not prepared, and oh yeah, the TD return that Spiller went untouched on, may want to look into why and who allowed it to happen...and then there was the blocked punt

maynard likes this.
  10. vt_dolfan

And I wish they would do so , sooner rather then later. It makes being in the Game Thread almost unbearable.

We had a chance to get back in that game....then Spiller crushes one on a return....that sucked the wind out.

11. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I'm not throwing in any towel, but the Bills just showed the rest of the league how to kick our ***. Unless this game was an outlier of sorts, but MAN...it's hard to understand how THAT many mistakes could be made in one damn game.

We'll be back and win the next 2, I have no doubt about that whatsoever...but there's REALLY gotta be some soul-searching going on with these players. TOO many horrible mistakes...just too many.

Losing Moreno was a killer...out-right, straight to the chest, killer. Miller doesn't belong on the 53, I can't stand him. Williams looked far better than Miller on the few touches he got.

STs STs STs...I took this area for granted...silly me. BIG flop.

I pin this one on RT and the Offense, and STs combined. Too many players contributed to it...including some mainstays (RT, Hartline, Miller, Matthews). Lotsa blown assignments on the line too, for good measure.

And lastly........this.........

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 5m
    Philbin on running out first half clock: we got ball at 15, only had 40 yards of offense at that point.

Pu$$y!!!!!!!!!

12. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I don't see a serious problem on this team other than the QB. The other issues are issues that any team will face over a given year. The OL wasn't actually that bad. They're fine, Buffalo is arguably the league's best DL and they weren't that bad against them. If Moreno is healthy and they figure out who they want at LB/get Jones back the team is fine. The problem right now is that you are being severely limited by QB play.

If Matt Moore comes in at some point this year and unleashes a deep ball to Mike Wallace you know what the problem is.

13. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I don't think the QB is as bad as some others do -- I think it was more of a team failure today -- but he's got to get better.

phatphish and firedan like this.
  14. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    I've been a huge Tannehill supporter, until today. I'm done now, I believe those that have been telling me to give up for a while now. I'm worried not about the next two weeks, but what happens in the middle part of this season.....it could get downright brutal.

15. vt_dolfan

I dont see how you can give up on Ryan Tannehill. Giving up on him...is giving up on the team. We didnt loose the game today because of Ryan Tannehill.....anyone who thinks that is just being stubborn.

Our defense did nothing in the second half when we needed them to.....our STs cost us as much as anything. We needed RT17 to step up and win the game for us....but he certainly didnt loose it.

16. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    He missed at least 4 open receivers on plays he had GREAT protection, that every one of them, would at the least been big gainers, if not outright scores. Sorry but that is inexcusable

17. MrClean

In the regular season, I cannot stand the game threads. I stayed out of it completely all day. It does not enhance my game viewing experience, win or lose.

Wyvern_Bob, mullingan and maynard like this.
  18. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not going to throw the towel , but a few things became very evident to me...

We have three holes on each of our linebackers on our defense....
    We don't have the weapons on offense..
    We need Pouncey, Dion and Reshad back... Satele is horrible and those two other guys can help our poor linebacker group..

Even with those three back.. we will get blown out by any team in the playoffs, we're an average team.

19. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Nobody should be giving in after one loss, but the problem is it looks like every other Dolphins season. Big win, followed by a terrible loss. Let's just say it feels the same as every other year since 2002.

Maybe they'll bounce back... I mean its KC at home and Oakland on the road in London where there will probably be more Miami fans, with a bad Oakland team, possibly the worst team in the NFL, also having to travel further. Then we have the bye, then there's a tough team in Green Bay. However they don't have the best track record in hot Miami, and their defense is pretty banged up. Moreno may also be back for that one. ITs a VERY favorable schedule these next few weeks. Don't blow it like they've done so often this past decade.

20. vt_dolfan

Yeh...Im done in there. We have people show up in there that have nothing useful to say all week....only to come in and stir up stuff.

21. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    I'll see what happens the rest of the season, but the grace period for Tannehill has ended. We will be in rebuild mode once again if he doesn't step up it.

ASOT likes this.
  22. Patssuck

Patssuck Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    Moore sucks and you are blinded if you only have one problem with this team.

23. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    You enjoy putting your head in the sand aye ?

24. vt_dolfan

Were an 8-8 team right now....Ill agree to that. But I dont think its impossible for us to improve and get better.

25. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Tannehill could have been better but there were others who contributed to this stinker with the dropped passes and not enough of a running game.

26. vt_dolfan

What are you gonna do all season...bemoan Ryan Tannehill? I mean really?.....just gonna sit there and cry because hes our QB?..thats logical. And RT did NOT loose that game today....

27. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Same here, I let questions about Tannehill creep in last week but I was confident he would show up today but he just didn't, the team sucked and instead of rising them out of that he blended in. It was the very last thing I wanted to see.

And now watching the Jets at GB up 7-0 and going in again. What a disaster of a weekend.

28. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    There's still a lot of football left to play, and I think we need to make some adjustments sooner rather than later. I'm not too panicked over the Bill's excellent pressure today because with the line, it's a learning process that will grow in time. Miller was horrible though, and I think it's time to sit him down to a situational role. The same goes for Tannehill; he's just not where he needs to be to lead this team.

29. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Losses happen, obviously, but its the way we lost that concerns me. For the most part we weren't really that competitive today and theres plenty of blame to go around. How can anyone come out of this loss feeling positive about anything? After last week it was a huge test today, we failed. Period. Throwing in the towel? Of course not, but theres still issues with this team that keeps my enthusiasm in check. Making matters worse is we`re still snake bit with unfortunate injuries and Moreno getting hurt was brutal. What a difference a week makes.

Hiruma78 likes this.
  30. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    To my this season really depends on Moreno's health... These running backs are good but not as good..

2socks likes this.
  31. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Very good to great QBs rise about their team's ineptness, they don't to contribute to it, sure not all the time but I can't think of many instances if any we have seen Tannehill play above his teammates....it's still early in his career so I still have hope in the kid, has all the tools to be a very good one, it just doesn't seem to be clicking for him upstairs.

ASOT likes this.
  32. MrClean

No, he doesn't. If you think he does, you're the one who is blind.

unluckyluciano and Sceeto like this.
  33. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I'll never throw the towel in on the team nor the season, but I'm chucking it in on Tanne. Sorry. He just doesn't have it. Put Moore in. Give us a shot.

ASOT likes this.
  34. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah... today made me realize I need to stay away from that thread completely from now on.

35. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

We moved the ball MUCH better (in the 2nd half at least) against them compared to last time we played them...then proceeded to shooting ourselves in the foot.

I really don't want to watch Lamar Miller touch another football ever. And we still had a chance to come back when Hartline dropped that perfectly thrown bomb.

Maybe I'm overreacting, I just can't understand how Miller can keep being called a starter when he makes sooooooooo many mistakes.

36. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know what is meant by the figurative "throwing in the towel".

To me it's all about assessing what this indicates about future performance. Last week I think was a nice positive indicator for future performance and this week I think was a pretty bad negative indicator. The question is where that leaves you. Does it leave you wherever you started? Or was this week more significant than last week in some way? Or was last week more significant than this week, in some way?

I headed into the season thinking 7 wins. After last week I thought 8. Now, am I back to 7? That's the tough one to decide. Just losing against the Bills could easily build into my modeling of the team's schedule at 8 wins. But the WAY they lost...could be relevant.

It may also be relevant that last week boiled down to a short burst of offensive production in the second half, because the Patriots surely out-executed the Dolphins in the first half. The Bills out-executed the Dolphins from start to finish.

jw3102 likes this.
  37. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    Not throwing in the towel at all. But please forgive me when I'm skeptical plaing in buffalo next year!

38. MrClean

Shelley Smith got exposed today in pass protection. Kyle Williams is one of the best DTs in the league though. Smith is the weakest link on the OL right now. Not Satele. If it were up to me, when Pouncey returns I'd just plug him at RG and leave the rest of the line as is. Pouncey is a better Center than Satele, but he could be All Pro playing Guard.

cdz12250, lohink and Ronnie Bass like this.
  39. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I went into this season expecting the Dolphins to go 8-8. So I'm certainly not going to give up on them being able to win 7 more games this season.

I never thought this was a playoff team this year. I think they still have too many question marks on the OL and depending on the injury to Moreno, the RB position is a huge question mark going forward.

The biggest question mark remains Tannehill and after his play today and even in the win over the Patriots last week. He still remains the biggest question mark for this team.

I can see the Dolphins winning their next two games and going into the bye at 3-1. I just think they will go no better than 5-7 over their last 12 games.

I will continue to watch the games and root for the Dolphins the remainder of this season, as I always have. I just didn't have the high expectations for this team that many on this forum did going into the season.

40. MrClean

It's from boxing. When a boxer is getting beaten badly, and his corner thinks the fight should stop, they throw a towel into the ring. Or they used to do that anyway.