1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every Tannehill Dropback vs New England

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Mainge, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e4d_1410607570

I'm kind of late on this. I also don't have the same tools as last year because my computer crashed, so when I was cutting the clips I totally messed up and they're starting kind of late. I don't really have the time to go back and re-do but I figured you guys would rather have this ****ty version than nothing. I also don't have the same source for video as I did last year; I'm relying on someone else, so I can't guarantee this will be an every week thing this year. But I'm hoping it will be.

2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Much appreciated...thanks for the effort!

Mainge likes this.
  3. Outtawack311

Outtawack311 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    After watching that it looks like Tannehill and the receivers aren't that comfortable with the new offense yet.

Also..sooo many drops...

4. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Even more drops than i remember by the receivers and tight ends. That deep ball to Sims was just perfect. Can't wait for tomorrow!

5. PhinFan1968

Same here!

That was my take-away last week...too many drops. RT wasn't perfect and had a poor first half, but he was DAMN sure better than the passer rating showed. Had the drops been caught, he'd have been well over 100.

New system growing pains...and I hope some of those drops are outliers for the season, because some were plain pathetic.

ElNino likes this.
  6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

One thing I really looked at was his feet. Up on his toes..much better then last season. Yeh that throw to Wallace wasnt perfect..I think him stepping up to avoid Wilfork had something to do with it...but was still a damn nice throw. That one to Sims..wow.

Anonymous likes this.
  7. vt_dolfan

Does anyone but me remember when 3/7 or more felt like 4th down? If you remember that..then you love RT17s arm.

Colorado Dolfan and ElNino like this.
  8. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    I was expecting to see Tannehill get murdered when I saw it was posted on liveleak.

9. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    The thing that I noticed outside of the drops was Tannehill got rocked a few times. He only took 1 sack but took numerous hits.

mcdave21 likes this.
  10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Tannehill is moving around the pocket a lot better than his first 2 seasons. Lots of movement. I hope he has been watching tape on Rodgers, Brady, and even Peyton.....just one little step can give you an extra 1-2 seconds to step into a accurate throw.

Mainge likes this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It was a pretty throw, and if it wasn't for the deep microscope on Wallace it would of been chalked up as a good miss play..

Wish I would of seen two or three runs up the middle, adding that layer of threat is important to his overall success.

Mainge likes this.
  12. vt_dolfan

Dj..teams know Tannehill can run. That layer of threat is there just by the nature of the inside zone.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  13. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i didn´t see why you complaining about the cutting, its all good....thanks

Mainge likes this.
  14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    no, I'm not talking about the inside zone stuff, I'm talking running from a strait drop, at this point there is no threat and any good film work a coordinator would relay that message to his players, " listen guys, this is not a Qb who is gonna take off up the gut, so don't look back to see what he's doing, cover your man"

mbsinmisc likes this.
  15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    The QB and WRs all looked slightly lost....

And we still kicked NE's ***. We are very close to getting back to a perennial power IMO.

16. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    3 things i take away.

1. WAY WAY WAY too many drops. The TD drop to sims is vomit inducing.

2. Tannehill does not look anywhere near as bad as people claim. Good movement for the most part and if you Take away even half those drops its a HUGE day for him.

3. I don't care how many calls went our way that game. Our WRs were getting MUGGED. Way too many no-calls.

17. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    There were some missed throws and some bad drops, but ultimately what impresses me watching the pass plays again is how well Tannehill was able to avoid pressure. Unfortunately, that also makes me concerned about how well we'll be able to block Buffalo this week.

18. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    That interception was awful. It looked like Wallace was running the complete opposite direction. Also Tannehill could have easily had 4+ TD's this game.

Mainge likes this.
  19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He was hit as he threw the interception.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Just want to see him finish on his right side more with his weight and have the follow thru be almost exaggerated towards the target on these short to intermediate throws.

21. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Thanks for the snapshot...I actually thought Tannehill looked better than I remembered on several plays, and slightly worse on only a few. I agree with the others as well...it could have easily been a 5 TD day from the pocket.

22. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Ball placement iffy on a good deal of those throws, but that's fine for week 1 in a new system. Moreno erased most of those little miscues anyway. An RB you can lean on has been a missing element in this offense and in RT's development. Been saying it for over a year: a dependable workhorse RB does wonders for a young developing QB.

We're going to hit more big plays this season. I think we got a sense of that in week 1. It's the biggest thing that was missing last year. So long as RT's ypa is up above 7 I don't care much about the occasional dumb int downfield. It's more important to prioritize attacking and getting guys like Clay and Wallace in space, which looked promising even with a few drops and guys being a click off.

With that...I expect Mike Wallace to go OFF this season if Moreno can keep doing what he's doing. I think you'll see his attitude and effort change alot if this offense continues to be dynamic. It's sad we've gotten to that point, but I think that's the player he is.

It'll be interesting to see how things progress. On the one hand you have our guys getting accustomed to the system, and on the other you have defenses getting a look at what we're running now. Really looking forward to our games against the Jets and Ravens.

DPlus47 and djphinfan like this.
  23. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    I agree with you. It is very encouraging that he is on his toes while moving to avoid rushers. The throw to Sims was a nice one. I was too hard on him this last week. That is tangible improvement.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree on the direct affect Moreno is gonna have on Wallace's attitude, they have sort of a friendly beef going on..two different mentalities..one that if Wallace emulates will bring out his best.

25. Disciple

Disciple Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 12, 2010
    There were only 2 or 3 well placed balls that went past the LOS until 5 min left in the 3rd quarter. After that he was much more accurate. A couple unfortunate drops, but I don't know how anyone could walk away impressed by his performance. That was an average at best. I'm not sure there is a QB in the NFL that can't make 3-4 great passes on 32 attempts. I'm not a Tannehill hater either, just have yet to see something that say's franchise QB.

26. PhinFan1968

Work in progress...new system, and while the routes may basically be the same...is the timing different under the new system? Are the progressions/looks different? Asking because I don't know, but I'm sure somebody around here does.

27. vt_dolfan

Huh...its funny because I saw more then that. I wonder what your definition of well placed ball? For example..the TD throw to Miller first one...was that a well placed ball iyo?

28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    On second review I don't think the pass to Wallace at about 39 seconds was as bad as it seemed. It was still behind him but it appears Wallace was slowing down into the hole of the defense. Had he totally aired it out it may have been incomplete. Still not a well placed ball but not as bad as I initially though.

29. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    I seen a ton of positives from week 1. The Patriots defense really never stopped us. We stopped ourselves with turnovers, drops and missed throws. Sure am glad to see them using Wallace for more than go routes and comebacks. He's going to have a huge season if tannehill improves just a little bit in the deep ball accuracy.

PhinFan1968 and Larry Little like this.
  30. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    If Moreno keeps doing what he's doing, teams will start stacking eight in the box, and Tannehill and company will have to make them pay. The question is, can they pull that off? I'm not sure we've ever seen any evidence in Tannehill's career to date that he's capable of doing that on a consistent basis.

31. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Hes never had a run game so it is impossible for there to be an evidence. I do know that he won us 8 games last year despite having the least effective run game in the NFL.

32. vt_dolfan

Tannehill never had this kind of offense to operate from.

Put it this way..just look how he improved from the 1st to 2nd half. Tannehill controlled the offense very very well last Sunday.

33. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Tannehill has a lot to prove imo but I'm extremely confident that our passing game would wreck havoc on 8 man fronts. Wallace, clay and hartline can all routinely beat man coverage and Wallace destroys man coverage deep. Last year we had zero running game and still had the ability to move the ball through the air with some success. We had guys open all game vs the Patriots and that was with 2 deep most the time.

34. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    There's been no relationship to date between the Dolphins' running game and Tannehill's performance. In other words, when the running game has performed very well, Tannehill's performance hasn't been any better than when the running game has fared poorly.

35. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    A lot of people are mentioning the problem with drops, which is certainly true, but to me that has a lot to do with the fact that Tannehill was throwing into a TON of really tight windows there. Almost every throw was contested. On the TV broadcast we can't see downfield, but Tannehill either needs to make better decisions, or our receivers are just not getting ANY separation. I'm willing to be its the latter.

36. vt_dolfan

When Tannehill has a clean pocket..hes been among the leagues best. One way to keep pocket clean..is running game. Hes also smong the leagues best in PA. You cant PA with no threat of a running game.

37. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    Didn't all this happen last Sunday? Then why the sub-80 QB rating and sub-6 YPA?

38. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    The running game hasn't performed well on a regular enough basis to have enough games for comparison. IMO

39. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    His rating was 80 exactly (not sub 80) and yes his YPA was low, but it was worse than his career average which tells me it was just a bad day.

40. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    His career QB rating is 79.2, and his QB rating last Sunday was 79.9. His QB rating in 2013 was 81.7, which isn't appreciably higher.

In other words, what we have here is again evidence that when the running game fares very well, Tannehill's performance doesn't change. There is no relationship between the success of the running game and Tannehill's individual success.