1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barry Jackson: Dolphins players appreciate Philbin's major changes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...ins-major-changes-goldens-future-marlins.html

A lot of good stuff in here. Anyone who says these changes don't mean anything aren't paying attention. I noticed a difference in Philbin during the first week of camp and the players have as well, and they're enjoying it. No doubt in my mind these changes are going to help the team on the field. They are all looser and more fiery. There's a lot more passion and energy now.

2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    There's a great exchange with Louis Delmas too.

:lol:

3. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Philbin has always been able to succeed at what he put his mind to last year it was defensive turnovers and WR production and both dramatically improved. The biggest needs coming into this season seemed to be the Oline play and how the team had no fire the last two games of 2013, plus there was no communication that led to bully gate, and so far the Oline and passion of the team has been drastically improved (knock on wood).

(It's what he doesn't think of that kills him, of I have to add a caveat. However, I've never seen a coach change his stripes like this. Hope it works.)

4. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Tom coughlin comes to mind.

5. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    I think Joe Philbin probably feels a great deal more comfortable knowing that he has a General Manager who's been hired to help him assemble the kind of team he wants, and is listening to him and his staff in that effort.

In fact, I think a great deal of the success this team may enjoy this year may be from having players who've been selected because they match the needs of the systems the coaches are running.

Struggling to assemble the players the coach needs to run his systems -- what Joe Philbin may have experienced with Jeff Ireland -- brings about a level of internal organizational conflict that would likely make any first-time head coach uncomfortable to the point that his demeanor around the players would suffer.

As Bill Parcells might put it, for the past two years, Joe Philbin may have had someone buying him the wrong groceries for the meals he was cooking, and knowing that may have given Philbin a level of angst that was palpable.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

This is all so hard to believe. I have been assured by experts around here that Philbin would be more suited for middle management at some company such as Dunder-Mifflin. :rolleyes:

Hellion, maynard, Fin D and 2 others like this.
  7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

REALLY happy to read this. I have a lot of respect for the guy trying this hard to change.

Jt0323 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Fin-d stock up.

Some here have been real hard on the guy, I will admit to not being sold that past two, but open in his final year to see if he had the goods to change, ( always try to give the GM and coach a three year window) if he turns this team into a playoff team than It will have been a bad evaluation on my part and others ,the point about self awareness to change was good, I have seen that this offseason and talked about it with some others, you could tell he was going out of his way to be different..

Someone made a point about his sons death...that it must be hard To go from that kinda stress-directly to a group of men, I'm sure I would of wanted to stay in a film room more than I should..he had no grieving period..

Hellion, fin13, vt_dolfan and 4 others like this.
  9. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    He might not necissarily be trying to be different he might just be letting his real personality show through.

10. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    this is what I think. He is more comfortable with his third year here

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I will admit that I questioned his hiring at the time he was selected to be the HC.

I also wasn't happy with the job he and his staff did in the finale two games of the season last year when the playoffs were on the line.

I went into this season feeling that he needs to get this team into the playoffs or else Ross needs to find a new HC. I still feel this way, but I am glad to see that he has developed a new attitude around the players which the players seem to be comfortable with.

Perhaps Philbin will prove this year that he is the right man for the job. I hope he does because I really don't want the Dolphins to have to start all over again with a new regime taking over. I just want to see how the season plays out first before I totally buy into the new Philbin.

As much as I want to believe in him as a good NFL HC, the final two games against the Bills and Jets constantly flash in my mind. Hopefully this team will make the playoffs this year and the 2013 season can just become a distance memory to me.

12. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010

That's what I like about it. He isn't trying to be something he isn't which never works. I also think DJ brought up about his sons death is very valid.

13. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not sure what your point is when the article is essentially an admission that he's made changes to try and no longer be that way?

emocomputerjock likes this.
  14. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Eh...who cares what some thought of him before...if he had the guts to change....then maybe we can to?

Its one game in...a great start. More important then that though....he seems to be at peace now, and seems happier and that's the most important thing in all of this.

mbsinmisc and ElNino like this.
  15. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Don't forget the guy came under intense scrutiny during Bullygate for not having his finger on the pulse of what was going on in his locker room, etc.

It's an absolute conscious effort to be more engaging and open with the players.

16. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Good point.

17. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Win. Don't give a **** about the rest.

18. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Totally Agree. It's nice to know we have a coach that will acknowledge if something he's doing is not working and change it - even change HIMSELF in order to better the team. We saw with Sherman what happens when people can't make changes. It takes balls to make those kinds of changes. Kudos to Philbin.

mbsinmisc and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  19. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    this is the most important piece of the article. Something I tell my kids everyday, and something I tell the young people who work for me. You can't be successful if you only stay in your comfort zone. Successful people push themselves to get better - but only if they have the self realization of what their issues actually are. It doesn't guarantee success, especially at a top level job like HC in NFL, but it can increase your odds.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  20. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    According to some here players must laugh at his methods.

21. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

CaribPhin likes this.
  22. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    This caught my attention, funny he said this about us... probably is still friends with a few guys on the team.

23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Even Michael Scott changed from the mean prick in the first season. He was still an idiot though. So bad analogy ;)

24. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    That's what I was thinking too and it lead to a ring. Philbin appeared to be a cold fish his first two years. Glad he's relaxing a bit

25. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I don't think Marshall holds any grudges against the Dolphins for trading him. He never played for Philbin and Ireland was the GM who traded him and Ireland is no longer with the team.

Also Marshall loved playing with Cutler in Denver and I'm sure he appreciates the fact the Dolphins traded him to the Bears where he would be reunited with Cutler.

The huge contract he signed with the Dolphins and is still receiving with the Bears certainly would also alleviate any hard feelings he might have about his time in Miami.