1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

75 years

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Ohiophinphan, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Less than 21 years after the "war to end all wars", WWII started again in Europe. This week we observe the 75th anniversary of Germany invading Poland, 9/1, and the Anglo-French declaration of war, 9/3. Actions involving Japan and China had been going on for some time but until Pearl Harbor much of the world saw those actions as a continuation of the Sino-Japanese wars of at that time nearly 40 years. The invasion of Poland is the action which brought the world into conflict.

For the next six years the war would continue from Madagascar to the North Cape. From the River Plate to the Komandorski Islands. From an assembly line "Rosie the Riveter" to a Chinese coolie carrying a GI's gear. The world as we see it today is largely shaped by the two world wars and their aftermath.

My Dad got in at the end of the war on a destroyer. My fathers in law saw time in Europe and the Philippines also near the war's end. For many of you, your Dads, Granddads, or maybe Great-granddads also served. If you think about it, ask them about their experiences. Maybe they don't want to talk about the "glory" of battles but I bet they have a best friend story or a place they visited that they would love to share.

Blessings

CrunchTime and BigDogsHunt like this.
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    We need more posts like this one.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    the History Channels Memorial Day marathon of "The World Wars" was excellent on WWI and those players it impacted (Roosevelt, Stalin, Mussolini, Churchill, MacArthur, Patton, and Hitler, etc) and how WW II came to be, etc.

very good 3 part series.

CrunchTime and Ohiophinphan like this.