1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pats sign Don Jones

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lee2000, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Well, now this staff will have to plan accordingly. Bill has 6 safeties now. You know why he signed Jones.

Bpk likes this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Thread title should be changed. It looks like it reads Bills Sign at first glance.

3. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Belichick = scumbag

4. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Sorry about that. Should have said Patriots. But I can't change title. If moderator wants to I am for it.

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I doubt that Jones knew any real details about the gameplan for this week. Maybe he could give insight about the tendencies of the other DBs, but I would imagine that Hoodie already knows as much about them as anyone.

6. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    Why don't they just record other teams instead of signing castoffs, like in their glory days way back when.

LiferYank and DPlus47 like this.
  7. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Cheating pieces of.....

Bpk likes this.
  8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    You have to remember, we won our last match-up against New England and we're unveiling a brand new offense to boot. Of course they signed Jones to a contract...I'd be disappointed if Bellycheat didn't do that. I just feel bad for the guy who lost his roster spot to the week-1 snitch.

9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Actually, the Pats claimed him off waivers which means they assume his Miami contract. They did not sign him as a free agent.

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Tune in next week when the Bills claim him on waivers after he is cut by NE, ahead of our game against Buffalo.

KeyFin likes this.
  11. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I don't know why you guys get so bent out of shape about this stuff. It happens all over the league.

12. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Who did we claim off the Cheats squad? It's an annoying move. It's the Pats. It's to be expected, but eff them. There must be some installs for the Pats game during late August.

Paul 13, Bpk and Mcduffie81 like this.
  13. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    exactly

14. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    of course they did.

15. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I think they have to keep him on the 53 man roster for 3 weeks or something like that.

16. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    isn´t this only when you sign someone from other teams PS ?

Paul 13 likes this.
  17. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Every year they claim one of our guys just before the season then cut him a little after...

Then they beat us.

Common sense dictates they're pumping him for information.

The only thing as predictable as this yearly tradition, are the people who annually insist it's ridiculous to think the Pats would pick up a player to get info, and that no benefit is gained that way.

The difference? Bill Belichick wins the division every year by doing this. Those other people would lose the division every year if they were coaches.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    2nd year players who get cut, are loyal to whoever will pick them up.

MikeHoncho and 77FinFan like this.
  19. MrClean

Yes, I am sure this is the main reason Belichick wins the division every year. Having Brady is just a coincidence.

Mainge, SICK and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  20. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Turnabout is fair play?

Or would Belichick only send us a trojan horse?

21. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    And that one year he didn't have Brady?

They didn't win the division.

22. LITP

LITP Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    I've always wondered how much useful info can truly be gained from poaching these guys.

Its not like they are going to promise them a roster spot if they spill the beans - no-one is going to buy into that for a second are they?

23. MrClean

Coincidence. ;)

24. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no idea why some people think it is cheating to pick up a player who is a free agent. The fact is that Jones was one of the Dolphins best special teams player and I am sure he will benefit the Patriots in this aspect of the game.

Obviously Belichick will try and utilize the knowledge Jones has about the Dolphins offense and defense to assist in his game planning for the game. This isn't cheating, this is intelligent coaching. There is nothing which prevents the Dolphins from picking up one of the Patriots recent cuts to do the same thing.

If Belichick was the Dolphins head coach and not the Patriots, no Dolphin fan would have a problem with him signing a player who was just cut from the team they are about to play.

I guess now if the Patriots win this weekend, the fans who somehow think signing Jones is cheating will blame the loss on the fact the Patriots signed Jones. No one should fault Jones for signing with the Patriots. He needed a job and the Patriots offered him one. I don't think a single person on this forum would have turned down the chance to play for the Patriots if offered the opportunity.

The signing of Jones should have zero effect on the outcome of this game. If the Dolphins are the better team on Sunday, they will win the game. If they aren't the better team, they will lose. It is as simple as that.

nabwong, LITP and LI phinfan like this.
  25. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    You are correct they didn't win the division that year, but they finished with the same 11-5 record as the Dolphins. They lost the division on a tie breaker.

They also accomplished this record with their backup QB, Matt Cassel. I doubt if there is another head coach in the NFL who could have led his team to an 11-5 record with Cassel as his starting QB.

The Patriots won 5 of their last 6 games in the 2008 season with Cassel at QB. This included a 20 point win over the Dolphins at Sun Life stadium.

Brady certainly is one of the main reasons the Patriots have been so dominant in the AFC the past ten years, but Belichick proved in 2008 that he could coach his team to a winning season without Brady.

26. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Meh. Dont see it as cheating. Business as usual really, the Pats do it every year.

27. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    STOP THE LOGIC! This is Dolphins Land if we lose its because of the REFS, CHEATERS, or THE PRESS against US! The coaching and front office staff have built a juggernaut of a team and were on the way to the Superbowl if we don't get jipped!

nabwong, Tin Indian and jw3102 like this.
  28. Bpk

That season is the one that FINALLY convinced me Belichick is a GREAT coach. It wasn't just Brady he lost. The guy lost something like 20-25% of his starters that year. Ridiculous injuries and STILL 11 wins.

nabwong, LITP and jw3102 like this.
  29. Bpk

It's not "cheating" but why the eff isn't OUR staff ever smart enough to do the same thing, sign a guy the Pats cut and pump him for info for a few weeks then dump him?

30. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Sorry, I forgot where I was there for a moment. Of course you are correct. The Dolphin organization has done everything perfectly for the past decade. They should have won every Super Bowl over that period, if not for the cheating Patriots, the refs making every call against them and all the negative press they have gotten.

Hopefully all that has now ended and the Dolphins can now go out and play on a level playing field with the rest of the league. We know we have the best team in the league, with one of the greatest QB's of all time in Tannehill. Philbin is certainly the next Shula and Coyle is the next Bill Arnsparger.

Now that you have set me straight and I have seen the light, I fully realize that it was never the players, coaches, GM, or ownership which was the problem the past decade. It was that damn conspiracy to get the Dolphins by the NFL and the media which has been the real problem all along. Thanks for reminding me of the truth.

31. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    You are absolutely right. It isn't "cheating" in the sense of what we would call it, like on a test or in a card game. It probably tips the line of ethical behavior, but unethical doesn't mean illegal.

32. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no idea why you think that signing a player who was cut from another team tips the line of ethical behavior. Jones was one of the most productive players on the Dolphins special teams last year. So even though I am sure Belichick will try and pick Jones's brain in regards to what the Dolphins might do in the game. He also helped his special teams by signing Jones.

Teams have been signing players from opposing teams forever, but when Belichick does it, it somehow borders on being unethical. That doesn't make much sense to me. If signing a player who can help on special teams and also knows a lot about the upcoming opponent, tips the line of ethical behavior. I sure hope Philbin and Hickey become more unethical, so the Dolphins can become as consistent a winner as the Patriots have been under Belichick.

nabwong, MrClean and LITP like this.
  33. MrClean

Winning 3 Super Bowls in 4 years just wasn't quite enough to convince you huh?

34. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Exactly, stealing information or not, people are forgetting Don Jones was a special teams ace. Nobody would know this better than the Patriots.
    I was kind of disappointed when we cut him, we'll see what the Patriots intentions are soon enough.

35. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Hal Habib ‏@gunnerhal · 44s
    Joe Philbin, on Pats picking up ex-Miami DB Don Jones, who could unveil secrets: "We’re not concerned about it right now."

36. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Ace? He had one great hit...3 other tackles, 4 missed tackles and penalties...overall he sucked TBH.

37. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi

38. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Well, it doesn't matter what I think. I honestly don't care what Bill does. Miami has the burden to account for any potential competitive advantage that may be gained. They have to plan accordingly.

39. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    It makes perfect sense. Bill Belichick has a history of cheating. He has done unethical things in the past to win, so it's very logical to believe he will continue.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

PhinFan1968 likes this.