1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turnovers

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Aug 30, 2014.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Very strange.We have good D for a long time but we are never among the leaders in turnovers.Different coaches and different players but the result always seems the same.
    We are usually good with points allowed but can't make the game changing turnover.Last year seemed like a good year for us but looking back we were still only 19th in turnovers.

2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

And to top it off, our own HC has been preaching turnovers since his arrival. We need a better showing there this year, for sure.

3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its always been a mystery to me as well. Look at the stats year after year after year, and the team is almost always among the bottom in fumble recoveries during my whole time as a fan dating back to the mid 80s. The sole exception to that was during Saban's time when they were pretty good for that small window. With all of the good players that have come through the last 20 years or so, its strange that its been so consistantly bad.

The Fins are also always among the teams with the highest opponent FG percentage made, and opposing kickers have a knack for making LONG FGs against us.

4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    It's one of the stats that most correlates with winning.

5. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Poor talent, they are coached well but can't shine. We have not had a playmaker in the secondary for a decade, it seems like.
    You also need good linebackers, I think, to have constant pressure and cause bad passes and fumbles and to recover. We've been lacking in that department for a long time.

cdz12250 likes this.
  6. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    I think the lack of impact Linebackers has hurt us. Our D line is looking solid, maybe if they can create pressure without having to blitz and we can see our TO rate increase.

This thread has me reminiscing of our defenses in the early 2000's with Zach wreaking havoc in the middle, with JT making plays, and Surtain and Madison locking down both sides of the field. Man those defenses were nasty.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    And tackling, he's preached that in his very first presser.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    For several years there, our defenders just couldn't catch the darn ball. I remember that one year Vontae and Smith had about a dozen drops between them; it was like watching a circus monkey trying to hump an elephant.

djphinfan likes this.