1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good luck week 1 and just glad Football is back

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Knowledge, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Knowledge

Knowledge New Member

Aug 30, 2014
    First off, hope everyone enjoys Labor day and just want to come in peace and say good luck, Patriots nation in the house

So glad football season is back and get to share with other NFL fans around the world.

I am intrigued to see how our matchups go and how things look week 1. Against our game vs the Panthers (3rd Preseason game) I think without Gronk we moved the ball effectively with our first offense vs their first defense and was able to put up 30 points with ease. Amendola looked sharp and quick against Kuechly and the other LB's covering the slot, and Edelman had a great day. Thompkins had some long receptions as well as he looks even better this year and I like the added big fast body of Brandon LaFell down the hash marks and on the goal-line. I'm also intrigued to see how our running backs stack up against you guy's solid front seven, actually good front seven. So far, during the preseason Vereen has been a beast (especially through the air) and Ridley only put the ball on the ground once, but added solid rushing performances to spell. Additionally Brandon Bolden and James White (rookie) continue to prove dual threats. As for our trade, newly signed TE Tim Wright from Tampa really shined against the Giants last preseason game and should look great with Brady especially alongside Gronk with his athleticism, route running and hands as well as receiver-like speed. And Aaron Dobson also torched the Giants in his return and first action of the preseason, he looks finally healthy. Adding Gronk to that equation should put the icing on the cake offensively as Tom is getting the ball out super quick and looks absolutely sharp and great ready for MVP form this season.

Defensively, our first team defense looked as good as advertised in the 3rd preseason game not allowing a touchdown. Chandler Jones was dominate, two sacks and three hurries, and Ninkovich added with a sack. I think that interior pash rush of Dominique Easley and Vince Wilfork being back healthy and ready will add in the middle.. but the big talk is Revis, who looks back to normal and will be the difference maker along with others on defense. And that LBing corps of Jamie Collins, Jerod Mayo and Dont'a Hightower should be a great one.

As for you guys, Mike Wallace in the new offense should be outstanding, Ryan Tannehill should have more time and Knowshon Moreno will definitely add multiple dimensions to your offense. Hartline is always underrated and Charles Clay is one of the league's best options at TE. Defensively you guys have an outstanding defense with one of the premiere corners in the league and another good one opposite of him.

May the better team win week 1.

NFL ACTION READY

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Welcome to our site..

Brady has looked very sharp this preseason.

How do you feel about losing mankins?.. Compromising your protection seems a bit strange, talk to us about his replacement?

Revis is the best so you have us there, grimes might benefit the rule changes more so than any corner in the game, he's that good at playing the game with no touchy feely, but we have many options at receiver, so y'all better hope you got answers without browner.

Moreno and miller should give us a nice combo that y'all haven't seen in a while..

Read option will be in full affect, bootleg action as well, minimizing the impact of mr BBQ.

Our tackles have been superb in pass pro so I think we can limit ninkovich and jones pressure..they are no Martin and Clabo..

My concern is our safeties against Brady, I think we need to play more man to man in this game and try to disrupt those quick timing routes.

3. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Welcome to the site. Nice post. Our Oline should be better than last year. I doubt people will have success with the edge rush. Unfortunately, the interior of our Oline is shaky. If they can hold up, it should be a good game. If not, then it will likely be a relatively easy win for your team. Kills me to say it, but might be true.

4. Knowledge

Knowledge New Member

Aug 30, 2014
    About losing Mankins, I'm not sure I think we'll do fine but having Sebastian Vollmer, a big All-Pro Tackle will really help

5. Knowledge

Knowledge New Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Should be a good game, we'll see.

6. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    Welcome! Funny thing about the first week on the nfl is the better team doesn't always win. So I feel this matchup is a toss up. Unfortunately it looks as if your pats D is going to be better than it has been in the recent past and once again looks like the class of the afc east. Hopefully Tannehill plays like a franchise qb (if the OL let's him develop) and our D can play well enough to keep us in the race and maybe make a run at the division.

7. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I am also glad football is back.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Looks like Gronk will be playing, unfortunately we won't have the flexibility of Dion Jordan to contain him at times like he did last season. I'm confident we can stop the NE run game and I take our CBs over Pats WRs. Gronk is the X factor that can destroy us. Not sure how well we will be able to move the ball, will also need our TE to step up.

I have a much lower scoring game than Vegas does. Miami 20 NE 17

9. Knowledge

Knowledge New Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I'm going to be respectful but I'm also going to be realistic... I think Julian Edelman proved last year to be productive and lethal in the slot, as Danny Amendola's 100 yard game performance last year of week 1 vs Buffalo also showed what he can do healthy. I'm also confident that Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins in their second years will have good ones, as they have more size and ability to get deep and have made some excellent plays downfield in the preseason. Also like Brandon LaFell's size and speed not to mention TE Tim Wright who is actually like a flex/move receiver who can line up in the slot. We finally have 5 receivers over 6 feet lol in Rob Gronkowski 6'7, Tim Wright 6'4.5, Aaron Dobson 6'3.5, Kenbrell Thompkins 6'1 and Brandon LaFell 6'2. I also like Shane Vereen out of the backfield (torched Luke Kuechly in the 3rd preseason game during that blowout, and CAR's D is among the best) .. I respect you guys but considering what we also have on defense I'm not sure where you are getting 20 MIA and NE 17 from? Brady has looked excellent this preseason (his throwing hand has finally healed) and is still an elite QB last time I checked. Maybe I was being too nice lol

10. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    your red zone size is scary. once you guys get inside the ten it should be an automatic six. still it always comes down to the same with the pats. get pressure on brady and you can win. give him time you lose. we'll see how our pass rush does. dolphins 27 patriots 17

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  11. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    If we ask our Linebackers to cover too much this game we will get destroyed...fortunately this years version on D has some good/great depth at corner and a lot more options for applying pressure in the middle...pressure up the gut is always key against any QB and Brady is no different so hopefully (for us) our XOs match up with your XOs.

Tin Indian likes this.
  12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WADR, it is a Dolphins board after all. Also, let's be honest, you guys were close to being swept by us last year. I mean we play you pretty close now.

13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    It's the NFL and the talent gap is never very wide. I didn't suggest you have bad Wrs it's just DB is a strength for the Dolphins.

As far as my prediction im a tad of a homer, but it's far from unrealistic that Miami will win this game at home. After all the Dolphins went in to Foxboro and got the W.

You still have Brady and Bill so no question you have the advantage. But winning on the road in the NFL is never easy and certainly never a given.

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Dobson and thompkins have shown very little to me but benefitting from a great Qb..not worried about them...it's all about gronk and unfortunately our coaches ruined that solution.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    One of the worst calls I've seen, Vern got punished for making a great play and hustling after it...they were getting their asses handed to them, even on that play.

Fin D likes this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Brady loves playing down here..

17. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    Yup, that'll teach OV to try and corral a loose ball (legally) while on the ground. 1st down Pats!

18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    His stats say otherwise, but I'm sure you know that. Although they did tune us up in a season opener at home a few years ago. (Welkers 99 yd TD was fun)

In one week we shall see, I'm pumped.

19. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    None of what was mentioned really matters as much as our glaring weakness at linebacker. If we loose, it will be due in large part to our linebackers inability to cover pretty much anyone.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Same starting linebackers we had last year.

21. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Yep. Exactly. Pretty much the biggest weakness on the team. I expect it will be addressed after this season. We were stuck this year with Ellerbe and Wheelers contracts. I am hoping moving Ellerbe back to his more natural outside position it will pick up his game.

Beyond that I feel there will be marked improvement in every other unit on the squad.

22. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Well the problem with saying you're realistic, and then making a statement that Brady is an elite QB last time you checked...doesn't jive. 1st ballot HoF'er - check. One of the all-time greats - check. Elite last year? Not even close... He wasn't top 5 in anything, not even top 20 in some of the main measurable. That doesn't = elite.

He's looked great in the pre-season, but it's the pre-season. Realistic is - we won the last meeting, and played 'em well the previous. Realistic is - Brady hates playing Miami's Defense...he's said as much himself. Realistic is - the Pats are a great team, hell, I picked them to go 13-3, but this game could easily be 1 of those 3. Realistic is - you're a Pats fan, we're Dolphins fans, expecting us to predict a N.E. win is a bit crazy, no matter how tall your receivers are or who's coaching/playing QB. Not the right place to expect everybody to jump on your wagon.

I'd wish you good luck, but I'd be lying.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Without Gronk, across the board, would say He was playing with average to. Slightly below average skill players last year 68..

All he really had against us was Edleman.

24. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Being a Dolfan living in Charlotte, I watched that game at a sports bar here in town actively watching you guys since it was game 3. Some things Ill post to calm your **** a bit about the Panthers game is a couple things.

Yes you were without Gronk, however let me point out the Panthers were without Charles Johnson, meaning you could double Hardy, which you did a lot, and it helped tremendously give Tom Brady years to throw....and jesus he had all day to throw. Mankins has been traded since then......and the Panthers defensive backfield is horrendous compared to Miamis. Our pash rush is better if Johnson is out of the equation. They have better linebackers.

So as far as that specific comparison for our game....Wake and Vernon coming off the edges, with a inside push of Starks, Odrick and Mitchell.......(Starks and Odrick both notorious for getting to Brady, especially now without Mankins)....our defensive backs other than Grimes and Finnegan have me a bit worried, especially without Jones.

I think this will be a really good game honestly. Weather forecast is calling for almost 90 degrees, 60% chance of rain. You guys will be in dark blue. Crowd HOPEFULLY will be intense.

I see this going any way, we split last year and honestly if we had a competent OC we would've won both games. Tom is getting up there in age, Tannehill has shown he's not worried about playing the likes of Luck, Wilson or Brady.....he steps up for those games....he actually usually sucks against the likes of Thad Lewis and Geno Smith.....

Good luck, it's week one so I am not predicting a score however, I think it'll be close. Thanks for coming to the board with some discussion. Appreciate good opposing fans.

25. PhinFan1968

There's a long list of elite QBs in NFL history who made average receivers look like pro-bowlers. That's a large chunk of the "elite" definition IMHO.

Brady was good last year, the team overall was great, I just don't believe he put up an elite season. So he was missing a truly TOP elite Tight End for a good chunk of the season. Most QBs don't have Gronk.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    that offensive team was not good without Brady is all I'm saying..they were below average skill wise most of the season, their defense was pretty average as well.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  27. Maple Phin

Maple Phin New Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Brady is always going to be key to that offense and he definitely didn't look as good as in the past, but he hasn't had as few weapons at receiver since before their 18-1 season. I can see a lot of drop passes and the receivers not playing up to snuff again, while we have reliable hands in Brian Hartline, and Wallace is going to have great chemistry with Tannehill. Honestly our offense is better than the Patriots and you'll see Brady getting frustrated again like last year and guaranteed this year we'll see a noticeable decline in Brady's passing

28. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Going off on this note, here's Tannehill's record against what I'd consider to be top 10 QB's he played against in his career so far:

Andrew Luck 1-1
    Russell Wilson 1-0
    Tom Brady 1-3
    Matt Ryan 1-0
    Drew Brees 0-1
    Philip Rivers 1-0
    Ben Roethlisberger 1-0
    Andy Dalton 2-0
    Colin Kaepernick 0-1
    Joe Flacco 0-1

8-7 total

Not that bad, actually...

His record against the inferior QB's, though, is 7-10... this is something he has to get better at.

77FinFan likes this.
  29. PhinFan1968

How's he supposed to play defense against inferior QBs?

There is no such thing as head-to-head QB competitions in these games. It's offense vs. defense.

30. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Tannehill needs to step up in these types of games and outplay the other supposedly inferior QB's... not play down to their level.

31. Knowledge

Knowledge New Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I can't believe the foolishness that you just typed. Stephen A. and other analysts were commenting on the stupidity of some people suggesting that Tom wasn't an elite quarterback anymore when after everything that he lost both on offense and on defense and yet, still guides his team to an AFC Championship game while having an injured throwing hand the entire season, which swelled back up the first game where he beat you guys and again against Denver in the title game, yet like I said still throws for over 4,000 yards, 25 TDs, a passer rating of at least 88 and another Division Title, AFC Championship game (most teams don't even make the post season) and in that AFC title game only 10 points away from his 6th Superbowl Appearance which would have put him in first in the most Superbowl Appearances by a quarterback of all time so lets not get ridiculous. He is still an elite QB given his circumstances when you look at 38 year old Peyton and what he had to work with in ALLPRO TALENT in Julius Thomas, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker (oh who by the way was Tom's top weapon and the best slot receiver of all time still at the top of his game who had chemistry with Tom for years, you take that away from Tom and give him to the opposition in Peyton) Knowshon Moreno an excellent blocking RB and receiving back and a healthy offensive line but yet, Tom defeated Peyton at home, and outdueled Drew Brees at home and still met Peyton in the AFC Title game.... So DO NOT get me started. Loosing Rob Gronkowski for most of the season (healthy, best TE in the league) Aaron Hernandez (Top 10 All-Pro TE, can play RB and PR), Danny Woodhead (Top 5 Receiving back, did wonders for the Chargers), Wes Welker (All-Pro Slot Receiver, the best of all time), Brandon Lloyd (900 yard receiver), Shane Vereen (elite receiving back, loss for 7 weeks after game 1), Sebastian Vollmer (All-Pro OT), Vince Wilfork, Jerod Mayo and Tommy Kelly on defense.. the best 3 defensive players on the team.... YET an AFC Title game with 3 rookies receiving the ball, Julian Edelman (no knock on him, he can ball), an oft injured Danny Amendola who missed a lot of games himself... guys outside of Julian that he has never played with, not to discount the drops by the rookies earlier in the season and this is before he found LeGarrette Blount at the end of the season yet 8 games in he as 7-1? And you question Tom?...... LMAO Ok.. Roger that

32. PhinFan1968

Bla bla bla...he's no longer elite...get over yourself.

You're dismissed.

33. Knowledge

Knowledge New Member

Aug 30, 2014
    This is funny as hell, I mean I know you guys hate the Patriots but lets be reasonable... I already described Tom's situation last year as opposed to Manning's weapons (Julius Thomas, Demaryius Thomas, Decker, Moreno, WES WELKER) Aaron Rodgers (Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, James Jones, Eddie Lacy, Jermichael Finley) Drew Brees (JIMMY GRAHAM Who doesn't get hurt, Marques Colston, Lance Moore, Kenny Stills, Darren Sproles, Pierre Thomas) These are weapons that the other elite QB's had last season as opposed to Tom's..... Austin Collie, Julian Edelman, Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, Josh Boyce... Really? but like I said, against Carolina's first team defense.. 30 points within 3 quarters in the preseason, our receivers in their 2nd year so far look great, Gronkowski is finally healthy, Brandon LaFell looked great, Vereen looked great, Edelman and Amendola have looked extremely sharp and our new TE Tim Wright is a welcomed athletic versatile talent with hands and Brady's hand is finally healthy, as he has looked back to normal not that he ever left.. hell I think this year he'll be an MVP Candidate... and I like a healthy and fully recovered and rejuvenated Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner vs Ryan Tannehill .. actually our entire secondary I like vs him especially our depth at corner now

34. PhinFan1968

Ease on down the road son...you won't find Pats fans here to cuddle with...buh bye.

35. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Tom Brady is still Tom Brady. Until I see tangible proof of his so called decline he is still elite. A healthy Gronk and Amendola will go a long way to curing whatever ills there are on the Pats offense and defensively adding Revis and others will improve them quite a bit.

Until proven otherwise the AFCE still goes thru New England.

Word to the wise though, dont dismiss the Dolphins this year. They will be much better than the nonsense I've seen from the pundits out there.

Should be a great game this year to open the season! Go Phins!

36. Knowledge

Knowledge New Member

Aug 30, 2014
    lol Bla Bla Bla is all you can say because you have no other facts to prove it ... but we did get to the AFC Title game last season, at least with me even though I hate the Dolphins I'm not going to dismiss any talent that you guys have and I'm not unreasonable either? Why can't you act like an adult and do the same? We are all adults right and can talk football right? Come on dude are you 18 years old? lol its all fun and football talk

37. Knowledge

Knowledge New Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I'm not looking for any fans to cuddle with Shipmate

38. PhinFan1968

You've already stated your stance...no use in arguing with you.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Hold the phone.....

You responded to a reasonable post with:
    As if to say the poster wasn't being realistic. Realistically you needed the refs to keep you from getting swept by us last year.
    So don't come in here pretending you're being "realistic" then act like its crazy we could beat you this year.

Furthermore 68 voiced his opinion just as respectfully and you went full Pat-tard with:
    Be respectful OR talk smack, don't pretend you're doing one while doing the other and then blast people. Not only is it douchey, but I assure you, you're out gunned.

djphinfan, vizi0n and PhinFan1968 like this.
  40. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    [​IMG]

Fin D and PhinFan1968 like this.