1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN poll of league insiders rates Joe Philbin 29th best coach

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Aug 28, 2014.

1. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...-nfls-29thbest-coach-20140827,0,3085091.story

ASOT and Bpk like this.
  2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Bright side? At least he's not the worst coach in the division!

3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Only thing he can really do is tighten up and win.

DPlus47 likes this.
  4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I thought Doug did pretty good last year considering the circumstances. lol I'm not sure if Philbin is a good coach though, is he teaching anything to our players? I don't get the feeling he's the guy you go to for motivation and to be inspired.. and I'm not sure what he's teaching our players.

ASOT and gunn34 like this.
  5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Sucks but whatta ya gonna do? Got to lose those games.

6. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I think we'll have a real answer to that question this year.

ASOT likes this.
  7. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    LB posting a SS article with negative undertones about the phins. Heh. Its like a big pile of opinions that i couldnt possibly value any less.Not sure how anyone can agree JP is 29/32 and still call yourself a fan, But Thats ESPN rankings for you :pity: let the year finish first. Then again even if the phins do extremely well this year its going to be IN SPITE of the HEAD COACH according to some here. Which is a ridiculous statement if you think about it

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Sounds about right.

ASOT and Bpk like this.
  9. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    But it does make you wonder, what does Philbin do for our team... Lazor is going to be calling the plays on offense, Coyle will be in charge of the defense, what is Philbin doing?

At least with our previous coaches (with the exception of Sparano), they had some sort of resume... even the ones that failed the worst, they at least had an area where you know it will be improved..

Jimmy Johnson, resume speaks for itself.
    Dave Wannstedt was a top defensive coordinator and our defense was always good under him (except in the 4th they gas'd out because the offense could never stay on the field).
    Nick Saban, again resume speaks for itself and Jason Taylor had the best years of his career with him, not to mention the defense was scary good.
    Cam Cameran, the offense was putting up points despite lack of talent and Ronnie Brown was leading the league in total yards until he got injured.

then we have the two offensive line guru head coaches, Joe Philbin and Sparano... and their area of expertise has not improved....

ASOT and gunn34 like this.
  10. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I don't really get all the ......Philbin this or Philbin that talk anymore.

Either we win...and he stays...or we don't and he goes. Pretty ****in straight forward at this point....don't you agree?

11. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I think it's something we all know, we just don't like other people outside the family pointing it out.

ASOT and Bpk like this.
  12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He can still win enough to stick around and be a ****ty coach. It happened last year, our owner is an idiot.

13. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    One would think so...but never underestimate our owner's ineptitude. we all thought the same thing with Ireland a couple years back, and instead of firing him Ross gave him an extension.

ASOT and Bpk like this.
  14. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

He had some serious nepotism/buddy issues the last couple years, and had to learn some hard lessons after last season. He's already showing he is adapting and improving in his role, but that's neither here nor there until the season's over. Just like players, coaches need to grow and improve.

He did lose some serious points with me with how we finished off last year. If that turns into a trend instead of an outlier, he needs to go. I don't think it's a trend though...we shall see.

Fin D likes this.
  15. vt_dolfan

I think Ross is becoming a better and better owner. I do believe the right choice was made at GM...I do believe keeping Dawn Aponte was the right call....most def. Shes a cap genious. And he is paying for what will amount to a new stadium out of his own pocket.

He didn't bring Marino in to just sit idly by.

He wants to win....and I think hes learned from some of his past mistakes.

16. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Not at all. Hypothetical, we win 9-10 games because the defense plays up to their potential and Lazor's offense produces enough points. Philbin gets credit for a winning season, slight improvement in record and optimism. Does Philbin really deserve the credit in that situation, or is he just lucky to be in the right place at the right time?

17. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    "there is no reason in hell that team shouldn't have been in the playoffs," a gm on the panel said.

Jeff Ireland?

Bpk, Higgi and ckparrothead like this.
  18. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    [​IMG]

Bpk likes this.
  19. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol probably his best friend John Schneider.

20. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Here is a quote from the ESPN teaser:

I'm not sure if the quote is from Mike Sando who conducted the poll or one of the respondents but its interesting that he gets high marks for his football knowledge and low marks for his leadership abilities. I would think the later is easier to grow into and as the article says would come with some success.

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolph...n-the-29th-ranked-coach?ex_cid=espnapi_public

DPlus47 likes this.
  21. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    You, me and everyone else outside of the team dont really have a clue how involved he is or isnt. Its pure speculation at best, and At the end of the day he is the head coach ffs. If he is going to be blamed for the negatives then he should get credit for the positives too, or else its hypocrisy at its finest.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  22. vt_dolfan

I don't think that will be the case this season....

Im actually feeling pretty good about Ross. I think a lot of Philbins future depends on "the eyeball test" of our team. If we are clearly underperforming...but still win 9-10 games...I don't think Philbin stays.

If we win 9-10 games....but theres a feeling that we are on the verge....maybe we have some bad injuries or something that hurts our season...then he could stay.

I think Marino is really going to have Ross's ear on how we are viewed around the NFL.

23. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    It's only hypocrisy if you are blind to the clues that are laid out there. It seems fairly well established that he lets his coordinators handle the X's and O's. and we know his motivational skills are sub-par at best (reading off cue cards). Doesn't mean he doesn't have strengths or impact on the team, just not sure it's enough to impress me and I've been defending this guy from day 1.

Bpk likes this.
  24. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I can't think of a HC I'd rather have than Philbin, maybe Chip, but he is too dogmatic.

25. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    (FTR this isnt an attack on you, moreso others, i was a huge fan of the JP signing and havent been too pleased with the product of his tenure either. ) Plenty of teams delegate their coordinators to do the Xs and Os, but if anyone thinks that the head coach isnt involved in that process heavily, then that is their prerogative. Personally, i find the notion ridiculous. As far as the "clues" that have been laid out, still speculation at best. The cue cards? Is this really even a talking point still? The guy takes notes of things he finds important and reads them. Sue him? He wasnt hired to make speeches. I never understood the ridiculous nitpicking. Let the guy finish this year and judge accordingly.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  26. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not really sure what Philbin is good at. I understand that he doesn't need to be x, y, or z. But he needs to be something. If he is really good with schematics, that hasn't really shown through on his team. If he's a really good administrator-type that is great at assembling a staff and managing them, he certainly hasn't done a good job with that. He certainly isn't the type that is a great motivator. I just don't really see where the value-add is with Philbin. Ultimately, I think he'll turn out to just be an average football coach who is very organized.

27. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Who gives a s--t?

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I wish we had Chip Kelly.

He spent his offseason reading and working on his leadership skills. Lets see if it works out for Philbin. Rankings are so meaningless before the season.

29. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I took B because I want the real thing real contention to win it all I want my phins back to prominence ruling this division, not an overachievement only to have issues again

30. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I've always felt that a head coach, unless his name is Cam Cameron, should get three years to show if he can get the job done or not.

I have never been a fan of the Philbin hiring because I felt at the time he only got the job because no quality head coaching candidate wanted to work with Ireland. So far Philbin has done nothing which makes me think he is a good head coach, but this is his third year and maybe he will turn it around and actually get this team to the playoffs.

To me, it is either get this team into the playoffs or Philbin needs to be replaced after this season. All I ask for is a team who makes it into at least the first round of the playoffs. We are told year after year that the players they have on the team are the most talented group of players they have had. If that is the case, this group of players should be good enough to make the playoffs, which they barely missed last year.

No more excuses from the owner, front office, coaches or players are acceptable. Win enough games to make the playoffs this year or it is time to rid this organization of the players and coaches who can't get the job done. It is as simple as that.

ASOT likes this.
  31. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I was about to ask who the hell are "industry sources" but then the author quoted an actual GM.

So...

Oh.

ASOT and Bpk like this.
  32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Could have been John Schneider (Seattle) or Duke Tobin (Cincinnati), both of whom are close personal friends of Jeff Ireland's.

DPlus47 and Bpk like this.
  33. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Ireland: bottom third GM at the very least, probably more like the worst
    Tannehill: Mediocre at best his first two seasons. Ranked 24th in Passer Rating. Ranked 26th in DVOA
    The Miami Dolphins: Ranked somewhere between 13th-17th

Something has got to give here. It shouldn't be possible to have the worst GM, the fourth worst head coach and a bottom third QB add up to an above average team.

And I can see plenty of things Philbin does well. Not sure why you guys can't but they seem obvious to me. Am I going to explain them? Afraid not.

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Why not?

Personally I am truly baffled as to what things he does WELL as a head coach. He's not a good offensive game planner or offensive architect. He has virtually no relationship with the quarterback so he's not a quarterback whisperer. He has next to no charisma as a leader. He doesn't have a knack for recognizing where players could maximize their potential and putting them in the best position to do that. He runs fast practices but it doesn't show up on Sundays with the team displaying borderline stamina in the fourth quarter. Supposedly he runs those dual-field practices at high speed to get in lots of snaps so that they can evaluate players more accurately, but it doesn't translate into an offense that is able to push the pace on Sunday, and the net effect of it seems to be that players aren't learning things very well. And to make matters worse, the evaluation of the players and which guys are worthy of playing, etc...has been spotty at best. Supposedly he had a system installed that would track player movements and workload on the practice field and then show them which day of the week they should take off, which was how they developed this 'brilliant' strategy of taking Thursdays off...but then fast-forward to the next year and they've abandoned that 'brilliant' strategy and just ripped off Chip Kelly's idea of taking Mondays instead of Tuesdays off.

His idea of gaining rapport with the players is to personally make sure they're in bed on time, or to crack a joke at them from a sitcom that last aired 16 years ago. He's evasive toward questions, passive-aggressive in his dealings with people, makes excuses rather than taking ownership of problems, commonly shifts blame onto players when the coaches could be doing more to rectify certain situations, and there isn't a single player in the locker room that would "run through a brick wall for Joe Philbin".

DPlus47, ASOT, Bpk and 5 others like this.
  35. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Well then, I'm going to just dismiss your statement that he's doing things well.

36. PhinFan1968

Completely useless stat.

37. vt_dolfan

I think thats pretty much Joe Philbin to a T. He seems like a good guy. He seems like hes willing to be flexible. But when it comes down to it, theres really nothing he brings to the table. Now..maybe he has become more of a players coach where the guys will respond to him, and if thats the case it will show during the season.

I think what it comes down to is this. Really when you look at it....there's little that separates the top of the league, from the bottom of the league. An organization really needs to bring something to the table at every facet. That is the nature of the league we are playing in right now.

I don't think its bad to say Joe Philbin really isn't a good head coach. He could be a very good football coach.....but as a Head Coach....hes just....eh..ok. We want and should want better then OK. And theres nothing wrong with that.

Bpk and jw3102 like this.
  38. PhinFan1968

Fair collective indictment IMHO.

Edit: But I will say this. He looks like he's made some changes and is more outgoing this year, and he seems to actually realize he needs to hold people accountable, FWIW. I just hope he makes a jump this year and the light starts to come on. If not, I wouldn't miss him.

39. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    OK I'll throw you guys a bone:

The Miami Dolphins under Joe Philbin are 12-1 when the QB plays well.

40. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Funny the source discussed Tomlin, the very person I mentioned in the other thread

Ok the secret is out! I'm an NFL GM!

ckparrothead likes this.