1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pouncey..C'mon man

Discussion in 'SoapBox - Rants forum' started by padre31, Aug 27, 2014.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    There is this school of thought that we "need" Mike Pouncey

Really?

Did we all not witness what went down last season.

Keep in mind folks the #1 quality in a Center is intelligence, to make sure everyone know their assignments..did we see that last yr.

Nope

The ol looked like a group of spasmodic teenagers trying to decipher calculus on the fly and failing miserably while so doing.

I have not seen so many clueless looks since Scooby Do said "ruh ruh shaggy whose guy was that"

At this point, I'd take the lukewarm stew that is Samson Satele vs Mike Pouncey, do not tell me of his wonderful mobility, do tell me that dumb bastid actually grasps that it is /rant mode HIS ****ING JOB TO MAKE SURE EACH AND EVERY OFFENSIVE LINEMAN KNOWS THE BLOCKING CALL" \rant mode off

Sun Tzu mentions "If the orders are not clear, it is the generals fault, if the orders are clear and the subordinate fails to carry them out, it is the subordinates fault"

Granted Sun Tzu also points out it is encumbent on the Leader to know his men and know their capabilities, which bring up the dilemma..Did Pouncey/Sherman/Turner not know the men they had and their capabilities or did the men not know what was expected of them.

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yeah, who needs a probowl center when you have the worst rated center in the NFL from last year. When Wilfork makes Satele his b***h week 1, we'll see if people are singing the same tune

3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I hope you have some extra strength excedrin handy for tommorow morning.

sports24/7, byroan and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I'm not a Pouncey the person fan, but Pouncey the football player is one of the better centers in the league,

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nah, just never really cared for Pouncey, it amazes me that from what I saw, OL simply not knowing their assignments or being prepared, ie the Centers job, he somehow gets a pass.

Perhaps on the Vegas jaunts and in between lap dances, he could have quizzed they fellas on their assignments?

6. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    or maybe it's as simple as our guards last season were just completely incompetent.

Colorado Dolfan and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What I was seeing mostly from the G's is there were to many busted plays and blown assignments as the "leader" of the OL it fell on Pouncey to iron that out

What happened with the Tackles was either they physically were not good enough, or they were being asked to do things they had no shot at doing do to physical limitations

Pouncey could not help JJerry bouncing off of Sheldon Richardson, he could have ensured that JJ knew his assignment..which more often than not, he did not know it. As for making the pro bowl, keep in mind Incognito made the pro bowl in 2012, in 2013 the line played better w/o him. It is no measuring stick

8. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Convincing us or yourself?

9. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Be careful what you wish for.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Stating my reasons for the rant, whether one is convinced or not relies upon themselves.

He is busting his butt to get back, w/him it is more what is going on upstairs in the football mind and focus out on the field and his role on the team and with the offensive line he should also be working on.

PhinishLine likes this.
  11. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

If we loose Pouncy for the season for what ever reason....

You do realize we may hunt you down and tar and feather you right....

12. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    While Pouncy may be a bit of a douche as a human being, as center for the Dolphins he was not surrounded by a lot of talent last year.

13. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I think you are blowing out of proportion that the center is the "leader" of the Oline. yes, he's supposed to call out the plays for Oline, but not sure it's much help when you have 4 schlubs playing on either side of you. and you last statement, that the line played better after the former pro-bowler left actually counters your own argument. If it improved, then wouldn't it be because the "leader" had an effect after Cogs left?

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  14. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I wouldnt mind seeing Pouncey at Guard if it came to that at some point.His mobility would do wonders clearing a path for our RBs.

15. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm with the OP, do not care for Pouncey.

16. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I don't much care for his antics either. But he has sounded like more of a team player of late with his comments and general attitude...maybe he's slowly maturing, not enough info to go on, but he's at least coming across a little more professional. He's not going to mature in leaps and bounds, as long as he shows that he's taking things seriously and matures some, that's a good sign.

And I don't put the line's problems on him either. Ya, he calls the play, but every member of the line is responsible for knowing their responsibilities based on the scheme and playbook, to include audibles...it's THEIR responsibility, just like Suz Tzu said, the playbook is clear.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is what my hope was for him, to plug our eternal hole at LG, he is a Center now and a Center he shall remain I'd guess.

18. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    So hypothetically speaking, if the Cowboys wr corps this year performs terribly with a 60% drop rate, but Dez still puts up a good year, you would want to cut Dez and replace him with a washed up player nobody else wanted? I am pretty sure this follows your logic, and it makes no sense