1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AJ Francis, Arthur Lynch and Gillislee placed on IR

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dol-Fan Dupree, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Dolphins have placed AJ Francis (knee), Arthur Lynch (back) and Mike Gillislee (hamstring) on IR.

This is good for Gator.

2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

It's good for those three too. There is no assurance that Odrick will be resigned, and next year Francis could have a decent shot at the 3rd DT spot.
    I wonder if one of them is the IR'd guy who is allowed to return during the season?

This is more like good news for Kyle Miller. I think the Egnew cut was the better news for Gator.

3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    And Anthony Johnson.

djphinfan and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  4. MrClean

I thought Anthony's chances of making the roster were better than Francis's even if both are healthy.

5. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The cuts are in, per Barry Jackson:

WR Armon Binns
    QB Brady Quinn
    TE Brett Brackett
    CB Steven Clarke
    C Tyler Larsen
    DE Rakim Cox
    DT Cory Grissom
    WR Ryan Spadola

Counting the 3 moving to IR, that gets Miami to 75.

6. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd like to think so as well...though I think it's somewhat telling they put Francis on IR as opposed to just waiving him injured.

7. MrClean

Considering the cuts and the IRing of Lynch, I'm starting to think Kyle Miller could be the biggest surprise to make the roster. That would give us a 2nd inline Y type to back up Sims, and Gator could be the flex/H-back type to back up Clay.

8. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

This is a good way to bank some future assets . Maybe one or two will make the roster next year and contribute , maybe not , still like this approach a lot .

unluckyluciano and Ronnie Bass like this.
  9. MrClean

I see it too as salting him away until next season when he could have a chance for a significant role. I think AJ is likely to make the roster now, and it honestly would not surprise me if they kept 9 DL with 5 DTs and the 5th being Kamal Johnson. He's been getting a lot of 2nd team snaps too, and honestly looks just about as solid, though AJ is more flashy.

10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Dion Sims, you survive another year.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Kamal has looked good from time to time.

12. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I could see that, especially since they don't have a dedicated, true 1T backup to Earl Mitchell. Randy Starks plays it, in base and sub but he's a better 3T IMO.

13. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    None of these guys likely would be out long term, so while it does suck that they won't get to play this year, at least this way they are still part of the team and can (I believe) do everything with the team except practice (so all the film work, work with training staff, position coaches, etc).

14. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Small world, but Kyle Miller's parents are my uncle's next door neighbors. Maybe I could get some sort of scoop...?

The Rev and MrClean like this.
  15. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    These are in as far as I'm concerned.
    -Starks
    -Odrick
    -Wake
    -Vernon
    -Shelby
    -Mitchell
    -Jordan
    -Fede

Then I think Anthony Johnson makes it as #9. Of course Jordan is gone for the first four weeks, so maybe they keep Kamal, or maybe that is why they have been using McCain with his hand on the ground (I think they did it in games), so he can fill in short term for Dion.

16. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think there's a big surprise there. He might not really be a particularly good receiver, but he very much appears to have improved his blocking. If he can trap, lead block, and seal the backside like he has in preseason he's probably going to get some solid snap counts in this offense.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  17. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Those would be my 9.

18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I loved Dion coming out, though he's underwhelmed me since. I hope he becomes what I'd hoped for him.

Anyways, I agree it was likely he'd stick this year, but now it's a certainty, imo.

19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If the Dolphins do not make an acquisition at the tight end position then I am excited for Gator Hoskins' chances of actually getting onto the field and making a marginal impact this year.

Dion Sims still isn't worth anything in the passing game so I think Gator gets onto the field more than a #3 would normally.

That 27 yard touchdown was superb.

20. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    If another team wants to sign one of these players for their active 53 roster, say if an injury heals before the end of the season, are they allowed? These seems like a way to circumvent the system. Do teams need to provide proof of injury? Is there a limit?

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    They were injury reserve not waive/injury reserve.

22. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Never heard of Hoskins before the Fins signed him. Never saw him play before his TD catch… BUT in one play he made a very impression on me.. The first thing I though was we dont have a TE that can do what he just did. I hope he sticks and I hope he gets on the field this year.

23. MrClean

What does your uncle say about Kyle as a person?

24. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Any clips of that catch?

25. MrClean

1. No team can sign the players off another team's IR
    2. I do not know what extent of proof a team needs to supply about an IR'd player.
    3. No limit. You can have as many players on IR as you need to place there. Of course the IR players get their full salaries just as if they were healthy and able to play. We paid Armon Binns his full salary, for example, to sit on IR all last season, and now he is cut.

keithjackson likes this.
  26. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Clark Kent and 77FinFan like this.
  27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've been onto him for a long time. Long enough that when the Dolphins signed him I already had a bunch of stock footage at my disposal that I could put into a video, which I did.

[video=youtube;cCYj-MPA9d8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCYj-MPA9d8[/video]

https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/381107554447015936

https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/416695839353241600

P.S. If you have the ability to, as you watch that video, pause before the start of each play and really look at the down, distance and situation. You will be astounded how money Gator Hoskins was on 3rd downs, 4th downs, and in big situations in general.

28. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't think he's met Kyle in person, just his parents to this point. The most he's ever told me was that Kyle's parents told him he was excited to be on the Dolphins (last year) coming from such a small town and Mount Union.

MrClean likes this.
  29. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Gator Hoskins made the cut?

[​IMG]

30. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Still another one to go, not sure I'd get too excited yet.

31. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    I know, I would be really pissed off if he didn't make the 1st one.

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    What did you see on the gator TD.?

33. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    In one of Barry Jackson's previous posts he spoke well of Brackett but not too well of Miller so I'm a little surprised.

I'm wondering if they are still monitoring Keller and Finley's progress.

34. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    good point.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The same thing he showed in college.

1. Watch the hands and how they react to the ball in the air. He's very good at spotting the football and not moving his hands up until he needs to. Michael Irvin's talked about this before. If your body language keeps giving the ball away early the defensive back is going to react to that. It didn't really matter much here because there wasn't a defensive back in position to defense the incoming pass, but it's just part of his process and it's a good part. Watch enough of his catches in college and you see this trait actually hurting those defenders.

2. The obvious, how he kept his feet after twirling around and making a very difficult catch, then lunged out for the goal line just enough to get the call (no he didn't quite get the ball over, missed it by about an inch, but it was close enough that you're not surprised he got the call in his favor). You see this in his college tape. He keeps his feet really well after the catch, and actually does things after contact. Being bigger than the players in the secondary doesn't matter if you're generally not great at keeping your feet or you don't have great balance. He may "only" be 6'2" and 253 lbs, which isn't going to compare all that well with behemoths like Dion Sims back when he was in college (he was 6'5" & 285 lbs), but Gator keeps his feet and his balance allows him to break through contact. He got squashed pretty good between two defenders near the goal line, still had the wherewithal to stick the ball out an extra 2 or 3 feet, and he had the control over the ball to not risk a fumble. THAT IS NOT A COINCIDENCE. How many guys have you seen can't stick the ball out like that while going down and keep control of it with their hand? The guy has 10 inch hands. And his wingspan is damn near 80 inches, which is the size of an offensive tackle. An offensive tackle with a big wingspan. JaWuan James was noted for his extraordinary wingspan which was 82 inches.

What the guy is, is just a very, very natural receiver. And you know push comes to shove he's not a bad athlete...low 4.7 type with 36.5 inch vertical. His deficiency is size, not athleticism. But if the guy can bully around smaller defensive backs and block fairly, and he's got big hands and wide wingspan, well then you care a little less about the height deficiency.

djphinfan likes this.
  36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That's good stuff, fun to read, and a great call on your part predraft, it ain't no coincidence the undrafted free agent hasn't practiced all camp and yet gator is gonna make this team, they must of saw something early in the process.

Here's what I like, like you said first and foremost, this is a natural catcher of the football, you can tell by the way he pronates his hands on catches that are at the lower chest area, also, I see him aware of first down markers and sidelines, his coordination and awareness is in the moment and good, he's thinking while he's running and making the play, this is a good sign..

You have any insight or opinion as to why he may of went unnoticed even though he scored many tds?

ckparrothead likes this.
  37. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Read it as good news for Darkwa and Williams tbh

38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's small, and he doesn't make up for it by being a 4.4 or 4.5 kind of speedster. It's really as simple as that when you consider how much the NFL leans toward pure physical mismatches at that position (with good reason). Add in the lack of tape of him blocking (was basically a wide receivers/upback) and his goose was cooked no matter what he did, I think. It does baffle me a bit that a Dwayne Allen could rate high while a Gator Hoskins couldn't even get drafted, but factor in the competition he faced at Marshall versus the competition Allen faced at Clemson, and the fact Allen was a more established blocker, that probably explains that. And the extra inch of height shouldn't be dismissed as another reason the NFL was more comfortable with Allen.

I could be wrong, but I don't think a 6'2" tight end has been drafted since D.J. Williams in the 5th round by the Packers in 2011, and he was a national award winning guy that played in the SEC. Prior to that Dorin Dickerson went in the 7th round in 2010. He had 4.40 speed. I think that's it for 6'2" tight ends being drafted in the last 5 drafts.

39. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As for Hoskins, what I saw was a natural catcher who had good on field awareness and body control

Interestingly, Charles Clay is 6'3, could be going away from prototype is paying off as the role is more important than the planet theory body type.

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Dwayne Allen was special in college, and thought he would be a pro bowler at this level, wanted to draft him real bad...Aaron Hernandez when he came out, pretty highly touted, only 6'1, 4 th rounder..