1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salguero: Wallace and Tannehill work after practice (finally)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Link: HERE

Any truth to this? I mean, one would think that they would not have waited until a few weeks before the season starts to FINALLY get in work after practice.

Maybe they are working BEFORE practice, and Salguero is just doing what he does?

2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Wallace brought up something a few weeks ago that I actually thought was an interesting point in regards to the deep ball. He said that you can only practice it so much because you can't expect a receiver to run 50 yard sprints back and forth multiple times a day. They get tired.

He said the important thing is to keep working at it when they can work at it and eventually they'll get it down. I hope so.

The Rev, DPlus47 and Colmax like this.
  3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    And that's the problem. I feel Tannehill waits too long to decide to throw the deep ball. That causes the throw to be longer and underthrown on occasion.

This is my favorite play to point out. While the end result was good (TD) it almost got broken up, even though Wallace was wide open. You can see how long Tanny takes to decide to throw the ball. Yet when you watch the replay that keys on Wallace, he's open very quickly. When Tanny finally decides to throw it, the db is allowed to catch up (underthrown) and get a good breakup attempt in.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multim...p-For-TD/1bdf53cf-bfe2-4e8e-95d6-3e0483fff358

Da 'Fins, Sceeto, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Totally understandable. I wonder if, say, Wallace could just stand 40 yards away and run 3/4 speed on snap just to get some sort of timing down?

To be realistic, I know we can't expect them to hit every one of those deep balls, but the presence of the possibility MUST be there with this tandem. Or else, what's the point of Wallace even being on the squad?

I am crossing my fingers that they get it together on this thing. If that possibility is there, I think that's where you get your most value from Wallace being on the team. I have never seen a player with the ability to get so wide open. I would imagine that if they do get some of them down early in the season, teams will inevitably have to adjust. That could open up some other parts of the offense.

Rocky Raccoon and DPlus47 like this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Tannehill needs to stop trying to mess with trajectory, and just put sh&$ on a rope, Dan Marino never threw lofty deep balls, he would just see it and throw it as hard as he could, quit trying to measure it with arc from cripes sake...all he needed to do on that p,ay was plant and drive.

Alex13, SICK, jdang307 and 2 others like this.
  6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    No more talk of timng, it only adds angst, just fu@&in thrown the damn ball man, if it's incomplete so be it, drive the ball, plant your back foot, see it, and just use whatever natural ability you have..

7. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I no sure he have.

Some people truly have the knack for certain things. Not sure that, without a bunch of time dedicated to this one particular throw, he will ever really get it down.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    he may not, but he has pure throwing ability, he's trying to drop it in bucket when he doesn't have that kind of touch.

9. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, I always say that he needs to throw with better anticipation and timing throw and throw to a spot, especially on the long ball....obviously.

----and....they stayed for an extra 5-10 minutes??? Seriously? Wow! Awesome!!! All better!!!! What did they throw, one ball?

10. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Look at what that play calls for though. Before watching the video, I said to myself, watch there be play action and a roll out. Sure enough, lol. That play is designed to have a later release time... yet Wallace's route didnt have any extra time built in it other than the stutter in the beginning. It's poor play design. If you're going to design a route where the ball needs to get released earlier than that, you don't design a play action and a roll out. The timing will never be correct in that spot...

The connection point designed on that throw was at 60 yards down field if hit in stride. Why they hell would you design a play that requires an accurate pass 60 yards downfield? That's so dumb...

11. gregrose

gregrose New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    I have no faith it will be fixed.

12. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Could just be that our WR is incompatible with our QB. Not pointing to either position as the primary reason for the dysfunction, but like in any relationship, they might just be incompatible. Every WR, won't go with every QB. I think Ryan is going to need more of a dog WR with a crazy catch radius or some shifty slot guy then a speed racer. I just do. Not slighting either one...just doesn't look like they should contact each other on eHarmony is all.

MAFishFan and Colmax like this.
  13. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo

Now this makes alot of sense, clearly the timing was wrong why doesn't the coach see this.

14. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    That's why he was fired (Sherman)...

15. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL 15m
    #Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill connects on a nice deep ball to an open WR Mike Wallace to the corner of the end zone in team drills.

Maybe it worked...?

Pennington's Limp Arm likes this.
  16. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think it will be fixed this year. lol and one stupid little practice is laughable, Peyton has his receivers show up overtime at the practice field... all the time till they get it right.. He and Harrison didn't smash records by accident. One of Tannehill and Wallace isn't showing full commitment to make it work, and Tannehill's work ethic has never been questioned, Wallace on the other hand is the opposite.

17. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Normal completion percentages on these types of deep balls are only like 25%, and the number of times a quarterback even attempts them per game is like 2 times...maybe 3 if you're Joe Flacco who is the most deep-oriented passer in the NFL.

The obsession with this thing...I just don't understand it. We're going to lose games where Tannehill connects on a deep ball to Wallace and then everyone's going to be like, wait why did we obsess over this again?

There are MUCH bigger problems lurking right now for the offense.

18. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    There was a play action and a roll out but is it designed in the play he must wait 4.2 seconds before throwing it? Honest question there (no experience with playbooks and plays). The same throw at 4 seconds or 3.9 maybe hits Wallace in stride. Or at the minimum doesn't allow the DB to catch up. I understand there being some delay but at what point is Tanny allowed to release the ball? He runs clear to the sideline almost before throwing the ball.

19. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Because we're paying 27 million dollars guaranteed (30 million in WR's for 2014) for a guy who only does one thing at an elite level and it's not working. This isn't Chad Henne missing deep balls to Brandon Marshall, who can compensate with his other abilities.

Bpk likes this.
  20. SFinFAN

SFinFAN New Member

Aug 25, 2014
    TEAM DRILLS"????? How about doing it in a game? Now that would be nice. Tannehill is terrible with the deep ball. I hardly every see him put to ball on the #'s of a receiver or lead the receiver. I think he is terrible and this year will be no different. But, his wife is hot....

21. SFinFAN

SFinFAN New Member

Aug 25, 2014
    TEAM DRILLS"????? How about doing it in a game? Now that would be nice. Tannehill is terrible with the deep ball. I hardly every see him put to ball on the #'s of a receiver or lead the receiver. I think he is terrible and this year will be no different. But, his wife is hot....

22. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I'm sorry but if the title and content of that are true, that this is the first time or one of VERY few times these guys have bothered to work on their total lack of chemistry together outside of organized drill time then **** them.

That's shameful, lazy, and really shows how little either respects the game, the fans, the responsibility they have to improve or actually play well.

Or they are clueless.

Or maybe hate each other.

This is not making me happy and I want to be happy. What's the silver lining here? There has to be one.

23. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Wallace already makes a big paycheck why put in extra work?

Bpk likes this.
  24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    My take is Wallace doesn't feel he's doing anything wrong, it's on Tannehill...this isn't rocket science this chemistry thing, this is what qbs needs to do, and like Philbin just said today, if you see it, throw it....I said this yesterday, just throw the ball, don't worry about arc or trajectory, just rely on your skills and let it go, trust it..that Wallace throw should of been put in a line, problem is ryan didn't see the receiver, he was trying to disguise his intent and peripherally throw the ball to the open spot...some great ones like Rothlisberger can feel his man open peripherally and be accurate but Ryan hasn't gotten there.

Sceeto, Fin-Omenal and Bpk like this.
  25. Bpk

OK. Good point.

/THREAD

26. Bpk

I don't care anymore WHY it's happening. Just get out there and practice together and adjust and adjust til it starts clicking.

And I don't care if they even understand why it starts clicking.

But to leave it this long is plain neglectful and unprofessional. It's lazy, pay-check football.

dolfan22 likes this.
  27. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Wallace said why a few weeks ago. Look..everyone has tunnel vision for this deep bomb. Tannehill and Wallace have issues with the deep bomb. All the other routes they have fine chemistry.

Wallace said hes not going to go out and run go routes 20 or 30 times after and risk pulling something. They have chemistry issues on ONE play. ONE.

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I dunno. All offseason Tannehill was working with other WRs and Wallace was AWOL.

Many people on here said it was ridiculous to be upset about Wallace not being there and that training camp was plenty of time.

Now we're hearing people complain that Tannehill and Wallace should be working more..................

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  29. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    So everyone was mad they weren't doing this and now everyone is still mad they finally are. How do they win?

30. vt_dolfan

But..what nobody is mentioning..is THEY still WERE NOT WORKING on the go route. It was other routes all together.

31. vt_dolfan

Myself, if I don't feel good I'm not going to play. My goal is to be healthy for the season," Mike Wallace on playing Friday.

-- "I'm not about to run 20 deep balls back to back. That's not healthy for me," Mike Wallace said of deep ball chemistry.

-- "He's doing a good job getting better at it everyday and coach Lazor has been staying on him about that," Wallace said of Tannehill deep ball.

-- "Just be healthy for the season. That's my main thing right now. Be healthy for the season," Mike Wallace said.

32. Bpk

I'm guessing it's different people.

33. Bpk

**** you, Mike. For $60m or whatever you'll run, even if it's 3/4 speed until your QB learns to hit you in stride at THAT speed.

I don't need you healthy if the offense moves better without you anyways.

cuchulainn and 77FinFan like this.
  34. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    This is absurd.

1. Yes, Danny threw some rainbows in his day. Watch more highlights on the youtubes.
    2. Tanny ain't Marino. Nobody is.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think youre overreacting. We don't even know they have an actual problem. Deep ball accuracy fluctuates year to year more than anything. Flacco went from one of the best ever years to one of the worst for example.

Alex13 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  36. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    There was an involuntary workout in which Wallace was away on vacation and missed a day or 2. This clearly has ruined any chance at chemistry. May aswell cut Wallace and start looking for a real franchise QB.

Thanks Obama!!

Sceeto and vt_dolfan like this.
  37. vt_dolfan

Well damn....lets see.

In Five offensive possessions Miami had 14 first downs, converted 4 for 4 for 3rd downs....Wallace had 6 catches for 67 yards....We rushed for 100 yards....

But nobody wants to talk about that as if its .... you know...something to be encouraged about.

cuchulainn and Fin-Omenal like this.
  38. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

The good conversations are no fun. Wallace and Tanny will be fine IMO, Ryan will miss him a few times, Wallace will drop a few balls...and people who have chosen sides will come out in herds. Way it goes.

39. vt_dolfan

Yeh...guess we should all get ready for the influx of wagon riders...

AFTER WE ROCK IT TO THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME THIS SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Ok..that could be a stretch...but...I think at the end of the season..youll see alot of new hip Dolphins fans)

40. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Upgrade the shocks, put a few PSI extra in the tires...she's gonna be overloaded!