1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rookie Offensive Tackles!

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by keithjackson, Aug 22, 2014.

1. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Ja'waun James is playing like a solid RT for us, looking like a stalwart for years to come on the right side of the line. So far, he has allowed zero pressures in 49 snaps in his first two preseason games. Paired with Brandon Albert at LT, he is part of a revamped Oline that has only allowed two sacks and three QB hits after two preseason games. James is proving his college experience at RT is an invaluable asset, and he is on his way to quieting all the naysayers who called him a reach this year.

Sooooo, let's check in on the other Offensive Tackles taken in this year's draft:

Greg Robinson (STL - Pick 1.2)
    Taken with the 2nd pick in the draft, you might say he's underperforming. The Rams have been giving him camp reps at both tackle and guard, with the results being the mixed bag you would expect from a rookie. So far, he's playing the run a lot better than the pass. PFF roasted him against the Bears:

While he may be no better than the Rams' #4 OT this year because his technique is a little rough, namely his hands and balance, his strength and athleticism are obvious. In fact, a lot of fans are claiming he's even more athletic then they had originally thought, and they are expecting big things from his as the team plans on using him at starting Guard. And once his game transitions, he should fulfill his potential at tackle because you can't deny his gifts.

Jake Matthews (ATL - Pick 1.6)
    So far, he's looked solid, but not All-World (especially against us in the first week of preseason). On Hard Knocks, he's handling Bierman in one scene and then looking like a fat kid in the next. One fan on a Falcon's message board summed him up as "pedestrian". However, he is improving and should be a dependable starter this year. Against the Texans, PFF graded him:

Hopefully he can keep it up because Sam Baker is now injured, so after bouncing him between LT and RT, the Falcons are hoping he can grab the position by the horns and run with it for the next decade.

Taylor Lewan (TEN - Pick 1.11)
    The Titans have two tackles in Michael Oher and Michael Roos that have kept Lewan out of the starting lineup. Playing against second level competition, he is grading out well thus far (PFF):

So far he's as advertised, playing the run better than the pass just like he did in college. TEN Fans concentrate on comparing him Roos, saying he'd "be worse against the pass and better against the rush". With a shaky and recovering Jake Locker, Roos strength in protection against the pass may keep Lewan on the bench. Another fan lamented, " He doesn't look comfortable enough on the right side to take over there." Ultimately his wait may require him to earn the LT position.

Zack Martin (DAL - Pick 1.16)
    The popular pick for the Dolphins coming into the draft, particularly for his flexibility for playing multiple positions on the line, looks to have settled in as the Cowboy's starting RG. A recent article about him ran with the headline "The Best Thing About Cowboys Rookie Zack Martin is that he Doesn't Stand Out". And that's a good thing, especially for a rookie guard. Honestly, it's pretty true cuz I'm having trouble finding any info on his performance, on message boards, PFF or news reports. It seems he is playing solid football, with his best qualities being quick on his feet and having good recovery speed. He makes rookie mistakes, but the cowboys are looking forward to ignoring his position for years to come.

Joel Bitonio (CLE - Pick 2.35)
    Another player with position flexibility, the Browns have made a Bitonio their LG. In a Manziel-crazed media frenzy Bitonio has so far been outplaying Cleveland's two 1st-rounder. In fact he was the highest ranked player by PFF against the Lions:
    Again, I realized its hard to find coverage about a guard, but everything out there seems to be mostly positive, positively citing him as a 'quick learner'.

Cyrus Kouindjio (BUF - Pick 2.44)
    Of all the big name tackles from this draft, Cyrus has probably played the worst, easily outplayed by the Bills 7th-rounder Seantrel Henderson. It's well documented on here just how poorly he played both the run (-1.3 PFF Grade) and pass (-2.9) in the HOF Game. He's slowly improving, as proved by his grade in the third PS game:

Dolphins fans can be glad we dodged a bullet by not drafting what is looking to be a bust so far. However, it's only preseason in his rookie year, so who knows how much the young man can improve.

Jack Mewhort (IND - Pick 2.59)
    Mewhort had to have knee surgery in June after Mini-camp. He was pulled from practice on Aug 8th and treated with ice to his knee. He hasn't played in a game yet, and it is unsure if he will play against the Saints. The severity of his injury is unknown.

Justin Britt (SEA - Pick 2.64)
    Many Seahawk fans lamented Britt as a reach at the end of the 2nd round, but are now changing their tune as he improves throughout the offseason. Michael Bowie was expected to be the starting RT, but into camp 20 LBs overweight and injured himself in the first practice, then waived. The Hawks signed Eric Winston to compete with Britt for the starting spot. Neither played well against the Broncos (Britt -2.0 & Winston -1.6), however Britt seems to be pulling out ahead since.

His upper body strength stands out in the run game, and he shows good movement in his combo blocks. However, he does need to show better balance and his pass pro must continue to improve. His path so far mirrors Ja'waun's, drafted as a "reach", and (probably) ending up a starter Week One.

Morgan Moses (WAS - Pick 3.70)
    A popular choice to man the Dolphin's right side by resident draftniks, Morgan has so far been underwhelming in DC. While the potential is undeniable, he is projecting as a backup this season. So far his work at LT has "resembled a player who needed time". Like many rookies, he is realizing that he doesn't have the ability to overpower and "out-physical" his competition in the. NFL. He has to learn how to rely on technique, particularly his feet (which did improve against CLE). He also needs work with his punch, his balance, and reading defenses. The Redskins will play him at RT the next two preseason games, but he will most likely take this year to learn the position at this level. It's probably for the best since the Skins don't actually need him to start.

Michael Schofield (DEN - Pick 3.95)
    During OTAs and minicamp he got a lot of work at guard, but has since settled into the more familiar RT position, getting more comfortable in positioning his legs and his balance. He is penciled in as the second string RT and is playing well against other teams' backups. He's proving to be another rookie who plays the run better than the pass.

Brandon Thomas (SF - Pick 3.100)
    Thomas tore his ACL in May at a pre draft workout, which sunk his draft stock. the 49ers are hoping they got a steal and look forward to his contributions in 2015 and beyond.

Dakota Dozier (NYJ - Pick 4.137)
    Playing with the second team this offseason, he has "flashed" potential at times this offseason. While a lock for a roster spot, he is purely depth as the Aboushi will be the Jets' primary backup swing guard in front of him. I don't think they have OT plans for him.

Cameron Fleming (NE - Pick 4.140)
    Fleming has played well so far against lesser competition in both the run and pass. If he does get a shot against the big boys, it will probably come at RG.

2. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    So far, James is looking like an awesome pick. He's playing the RT the best of any rookie by far, and you could argue he is also playing the best in the passing game as well. Considering the specific needs of the Dolphins coming into this season, it really might be a match made in heaven.

I look forward to seeing him against a premier pass rusher, but Cameron Wake might be the best player he'll face all year. So if camp reports and his early returns reflect what we can expect, I am excited to see how he handles the regular season.

(Also, note: This is all from research of articles, message boards and PFF. I haven't had the opportunity to watch that much game film on all the rookies so far, so please feel free to add more personal analysis and I'll do the same.)

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Who wrote this? It's wrong.
    The Seahawks have 3 returning OL starters. Okung, Unger and Sweezy.

keithjackson likes this.
  4. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    Oops I'll edit the OP. I'll check my notes when I get home.

5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If you are going back and editing, his name is Morgan Moses, not Moses Morgan. :)

6. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    D'oh! I'm going to give you an editors credit from now on.

MrClean likes this.