1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Dolphins look to the U for help in the 2015 draft?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by sports24/7, Aug 21, 2014.

1. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The Dolphins have largely ignored the University of Miami over the past decade until the recent picks of Miller and Vernon. They might take a look over there with some early picks this year. When I was thinking about some of the Hurricanes best prospects that could come out, I realized that their strengths fit pretty well with the Dolphins weaknesses. Arguably the Dolphins biggest question mark right now is LB play and particularly MLB. Currently, the top MLB prospect could be Denzel Perryman who would not only bring high level play, but the type of leadership the Dolphins value. The other major question mark is at HB where no one has really stepped up and taken the reigns. The Hurricanes second best prospect (if he comes out) is Duke Johnson who, while he has injury concerns, is an explosive back and also has the character Philbin and Hickey value. Obviously a lot can change between now and next April, but it is not out of the realm of possibility to think that the Dolphins could go with Perryman in the 1st and Johnson a little bit later.

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think it will depend a lot on the types of seasons these players have as well as their combine numbers and our draft position.

I'm not sure Duke is an NFL back but I wouldn't mind Perryman.

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The dolphins may have ignored Miami(Fl) in the past decade but who did they really ignore? Jimmy Graham is the most glaring, but a lot of the other players worth picking either we didn't have a realistic chance at or the selection didn't make sense for one reason or another.

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I agree with this. IMO We did ignore Seantrell Henderson this year but I can't complain even if I'd have taken him over Hazel and Lynch 100 out of 100 times.

5. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Obviously. Just an early thought. And I do think Duke will be a very good back if he can stay healthy. At the very least he should be a fantastic return guy, but I think he'll end up being a playmaker.

Honestly, the guy on the team who I think will be the best when it's all said and done is Stacy Coley though. That guy is a stud.

6. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Oh, I disagree. Graham, Frank Gore, Chris Myers, Eric Winston, and Jon Beason off the top of my head. It goes back even further than that really though passing on guys like Ed Reed.

7. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Duke is amazing.

8. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Perryman I would love. Johnson I'm on the fence about. I wouldn't be with Johnson, just a few more backs I'd prefer over him. Abdullah, Ayaji, Gordon, Davis to name a few

9. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    We should have drafted Frank Gore in the 2nd rd after just taking a HB with the #2 overall pick? And we should have taken Beason over Patrick Willis, Darelle Revis, or even Brady Quinn (ignoring hindsight), etc? And how did we ignore Eric Winston? He went in the 3rd round before our pick, or should we have taken him at 16 overall (we traded our 2nd round pick for Culpepper)? As I said, most worthwhile players wouldn't have made sense or weren't realistically available (selected too far ahead of our first or second pick).

10. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    As the season has gone on, there are a couple more names from UM that would look pretty good in Aqua and Orange next year while the previous two I mentioned have been very impressive. The one guy that really stands out to me from a matchup of need is Clive Walford. I'd be very curious to see what the experts around here think about this guy, but I see a nice all-around TE that can block and catch the football. The other new guy on my list would be Phillip Dorset. He can absolutely fly.

Going back to the first two guys, Duke Johnson just looks special. I think they mentioned Gio Bernard as a comparison for him today in the game and I can see that although I think Duke might be better. Perryman has been as good as advertised as well. I don't care that he's sub-6ft, he can play.

11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't really understand the benefits of drafting UM players vs. just drafting players successfully in general.

Fans don't really give a ****, and if anything it makes it more likely the player will get distracted off the field.

Stitches likes this.
  12. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think the distraction thing is an issue. It hasn't been for many of the other players with S. Florida ties.

This thread was less about whether the Dolphins ignore drafting UM players or not, and more about UM players that would be attractive to the Dolphins based off of need positions, though. The Dolphins get a better look at local players than in other regions, so I wanted to see what the draft experts think about some of the guys that might be a good fit for the Dolphins like Perryman, Walford, Johnson, and Dorsett.

13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I hope Duke Johnson falls like Lamar Miller. I think he would be dominant in our scheme with the read option and zone blocking. Plus he has solid hands.

14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think there are a lot of guys that could dominate with the blocking and scheme we've developed here and that's part of my issue with Lamar Miller. He's not doing as well as he could.

15. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Agreed on Miller.

The more I watch Duke...the more I'm convinced he has that special something. Yes I have bias as a Canes fan but I don't usually go around talking up prospects. Hell I talked down Olivier a bit, he's shocked me.

The things Johnson can do at the second level are worth a pick if he has a Lamar Miller like slide in the draft.

16. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I would love to have Duke Johnson, Clive Walford, Phillip Dorsett and in the near future Brad Kaaya if we don't take a QB sooner. I think right now as it stands we have to avoid a large QB contract at this time.There are others I like as well for us like Kevin White, Devin Funchess.

17. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I am salivating over possibility of Dorsett and Coley with Wallace and Landry in our system. Greatest show on turf right there.

18. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't know about Coley. He has been terrible this year honestly and he looks like speed is his only ability. Dorsett is a very interesting prospect depending on where he grades out. In my opinion he should fall somewhere between the third and sixth rounds. I'd take a shot at him in the fourth.

Duke Johnson is my wet dream right now. I'd honestly look to take Duke and find myself a power HB in free agency. Miller/Johnson/FA

19. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I think both Coley and Dorsett fit the system, they have great feet, both quick change of direction guys, they fit the quick passing yac offense. Coley is taller so he provides the big target as well.

The RB class this year will be amazing, similar to last year's receiver class. I'd be surprised if Phins don't draft a RB in the top 2 rounds. I'm a fan of james Starks, and Williams seems to be developing into that kind of a back, where Miller provides constant carries. Maybe Duke could replace Miller but I'm not sold on it yet.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Duuuuuuke.

21. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    This guy Dorsett is the real deal, we gotta draft this guy!

22. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I've long been a proponent of the Dolphins front office taking a long look at local players, not just players from The University of Miami. I think the Dolphins would benefit in two ways. First, these guys grow up playing ball in this climate. Their bodies are adjusted to the heat and humidity.

Second, players from the South Florida area have largely taken great pride in representing South Florida. There is a mentality and aggression that I see in players who are from South Florida that I don't see in some players from other areas of the country.

Also, right now, Miami has been very poor at developing talent. I think you could get some good raw talent on the cheap.

mroz and djphinfan like this.
  23. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    exactly right, south florida has high school and college football culture, dolphins need some of that.

24. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I agree, we have so much talent in the State, not just in South Florida. I have always wondered why our team seems to overlook local state talent for the most part until recently. We could use a big WR & TE earlier in draft but I would love for us to also draft Cato, Devin Johnson, Duke Johnson, and Dorsett.

25. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I think Clive Walford might be a 4th round or later TE we could Develop and I hear USF has a pretty talented TE over there.

26. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I love the U... Wouldn't touch either of those guys... duke for all his production is either always hurt or fumbling the ball.

27. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Walford is a guy I would take in the 4th round all day long...

28. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Yes. Very much. Want.

Last few 'canes we've taken flyers on are whom?

L. Miller, O. Vernon, V. Carey, ...?. You gotta trust in The U.

We literally don't even have to travel to scout these guys.

29. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Like I said also I think Devon Johnson from Marshall is a beast..if you get a chance check him out. I also would love to have Amari Cooper but probably no shot at him so then.I like Funchess as a big wide out. I still think we could play Dion Jordan at TE...at least in the RZ and next year I want to see lynch as a seam threat..The kid was awesome at UGA playing the seam. Also pick up another big WR later in.draft as well as OL, CB, S, LB.

30. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    That last sentence is exactly what I have been saying for years. Our scouts and even our coaches could watch these guys any day of the week without a problem..players from UM, FIU, FAU, with little to no out of pocket cost..Day trips to UCF, USF. And overnight trips to UF , FSU , etc. even catching some other schools in SE USA pretty easily.