1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Former LB Tim Shaw announces he has ALS

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by sports24/7, Aug 19, 2014.

1. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...e-titans-special-teamer-reveals-als-diagnosis

I coach with his brother and had met him once or twice before, but spent the past week with him at our camp week. Tim is really as good of a guy as you'll meet and was so great with the kids. You see these ice bucket challenges (which I think are great), but it really hits home when you meet someone who has it. My prayers and thoughts go out to him and his family, but I know he's going to go on and do great things to fight this disease.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I think the donating is great, not the bombarding of videos by everyone and their mother.

3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    It raises awareness regardless.

sports24/7 and unluckyluciano like this.
  4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The ALS foundation has raised 15.9 million since July 29, during the same period last year they only managed to raise something around 50k. I think they should be dumping ice on themselves till the end of the year if that kind of money is being generated by this viral "ice bucket" challenge.

The amount of money has the president of the foundation with her jaw on the ground and it's going to completely transform the research and staffing of their organization.

Anyways I'm sorry to hear about Tim Shaw and hope that a cure is in the near future for him.

sports24/7 likes this.
  5. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    As the previous two posters have said, it has raised incredible awareness for the cause and in turn, lots of money. I do think it's more of a novelty to many people that can't wait to post it on facebook and don't donate any money, but as wrong as that is, it's still making a major impact.

6. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
  7. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
  8. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Some people are pretty ignorant and become all politically correct about everything - while maintaining a huge deal of hypocrisy..

For example... someone mentioned to me that the ice bucket is a waste of water and that California is suffering a drought and blahblahblah...I hope she's following up on that stance by taking short showers and not washing her car, going to a pool, etc.

Some people eat Pizza Hut, and many other fast food chains, and having a friend that works in Pizza Hut Corp in Allen Texas as a chef/coordinator and is suppose to come up with new recipes all the time, the amount of food they literally dump in the garbage is embarrassing, it could go to a shelter instead of it being thrown away, but they're not allowed to donate to the shelter because they don't want "unreleased" recipes to be out there. Yet millions still buy pizzas.

My point is... yes I think everyone should be mindful and not be so wasteful of resources they have, fortunately we are blessed that we don't reside in some country that is really struggling, and we're able to feed ourselves, even the homeless here have access to clean public water fountains. People should be allowed to live their lives... not every act of good should be dissected and overanalyzed especially when the return is for a great cause..