1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins trade speculation

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan40, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    That isn't a rumour.

2. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Its Speculation .Title fixed

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't really like the idea of a coach(and probably GM) on the hot seat making a last minute big trade to fix a situation they ****ed up.

Doubly so given Boone not having that long of a track record as a quality player.

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    How is this of Philbins creation?

5. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    This is his third year at the helm. He's supposedly a O-line guru for Green Bay that should have fixed the O-line by now.

6. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Boone held out a year too late. Had he done it after his stellar 2012, he may have gotten paid big.

7. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Fixed it w/ the players provided for him.

8. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Yes he's the o-line guru. The o-line guru that said Martin couldn't play left tackle and wanted to trade for Albert. Jeff Ireland, the field goal kicker guru, disagreed.

9. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Has a Lamar Gordon stench to it.

10. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    He's the HC, no. He's responsible also.

Not a great example. :no:

In other words, Philbin IS the HC and should take responsibility too. He was hired (IMO) to correct what flaws we had in the O-line a few seasons ago.
    From what I remember, Ireland and Philbin had a very good relationship and were on the same page. I can only say this because of everything I've read and heard in the past. That didn't work...so Ireland is gone.

Now to the present:We have 5 new starters entering the season, but from what I understand now... Philbin has no say or influence on what O-line personnel is on this team? To me the O-line still looks like crap and no one can make a decision on who's playing what.
    Sounds like a problem to me. Who would you point a finger at, Hickey?

11. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Jon Cooper situation could be worth monitoring, potential bust that could be had for cheap.

12. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    And wanted to get rid of Cogs.

13. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

14. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    And we're basing this evaiuation of the Offensive Line, on a couple of series from the Tampa game? (Cuz they looked fine in two series vs. Atlanta)

A complete Hickey rebuild of the worst Offensive Line in the NFL (Well almost), still missing their Pro-Bowl Center, with barely 5 series of live football together, and you're going to evaluate how good they can be on what??

Let me help : Brandon Albert or Jon Martin?? Ju'Wuan James or Tyson Clabo? Quality Book-End Tackles by all account thus far...
    Your ALL-Pro Center back week 4, and ANY guard play at all, or just winnable matchups (We won't be seeing Gerald McCoy again.) and this team with this Pass-D and Pass-Rush, we make the playoffs easy, and might win the AFC East for the first legitimate time since a guy named Tom Brady entered the division.

This Offensive Line and This Team, will make the playoffs. (Book Me - Right now for it.)

That is all.

roy_miami likes this.
  15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I suspect the Dallas Thomas experiment is done for now, it will be Colledge and Smith moving forward

16. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    We cannot expect a group of players who have played together for only a few weeks to develop the timing and coordination it takes to drive-block effectively. The pass blocking will come first, then the run blocking. But both will come. This may not be the season when it all comes together in time to win substantially more games than we lose. But it will.

DOLPHAN1 and padre31 like this.
  17. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Is it too much to ask that a Guard or Center block the guy in front of him? Forget about the O-line ballet coordination, just hit the other guy.

18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

HOw will it come together if the lineup changes constantly? Sure sure "it's preseason" but I'll bet you the five guys who start this weekend at the beginning of the game are not the same five guys at the same positions on opening day... then when Pouncey returns our genius staff has an excuse to rearrange the deck chairs again.

Not a lot of faith in their foresight at this point. Joe Philbin just said there is "lots of time" before the season. No sense of urgency here, imo. So long as we have a solid starting five in time to sit home for the playoffs.

If course, it take longer to settle on five starters who play well enough to deserve their jobs when you keep making dumb decisions to play bad players or play guys at positions they aren't well suited to. So yeah, that can certainly create the need to keep moving guys because the players aren't performing (which would be a bull**** excuse for coaches who are misusing players in this case).

1 good thing: They got the tackles right!

19. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Yup, I do believe we got tackles.

20. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    What if we keep moving them around because we don't have two guys right now who can play guard at a good-to-very-good NFL level? Mobile guards who can trap, pull, and do the rest of the stuff good guards do to open up the running game? We can't put that much on the coaching staff if Turner needs to develop and Smith and Colledge are mediocre at best. They have to move the pieces around to get the best combo until the games count.

roy_miami likes this.
  21. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

And that's a MILLION times better than last year, those guys have been locks since day 1 pretty much, and have kicked *** in pass pro. With Colledge and Smith in there, they're better than our Gs from last year too, overall; JJ was better than Smith in pass pro, but Smith is LEAGUES better at run blocking, and Watkins/Garner/Brenner at LG is upgraded with Colledge...not saying he's a stud, but better then those other guys.

Overall, I'd say the line was improved significantly, no matter who squats at RG, and once Pouncey is back, they'll be in pretty good shape. At least "average" instead of horrible, which many were hoping for.

I still think Lazor's going to need to scheme around 'em though, and Knowshon should give a boost.

Fin D likes this.
  22. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    If what you say holds true, and I believe we will be solid at both tackle spots, I just hope we do not dig too deep of a hole in the early part of the game. Along those same lines when we were 3-0 last year Philbin was not all giddy (if he's capable), but was all about work that needed done and that it's a long season.

23. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Yeah its not like we're moving Brandon Albert all over the place. There are two ways to build the o-line:
    Quality: Brandon Albert, Juwain James, Mike Pouncey
    Quantity: all of those guards we have competing for spots

Is it really that abnormal for coaches to mix and match o-line pieces during training camp, especially when you have a hodgepodge of 5 or 6 pedestrian pieces that are all about evenly skilled? How else are they supposed to know who fits best where? Crystal ball? People crave and demand constant information then all they do is whine about said information. I think most people would be better off just not knowing anything about the process in determining who gets to start where.

cdz12250 likes this.
  24. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Screw that trade. Give Turner a little time, put Smith in there and I'll bet you'll eventually have a solid line.

If you want to trade for somebody, trade for a linebacker, unless you believe Tripp will be ready soon enough.

25. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'd rather find the right five guys, I could care less about chemistry at this point, the best talent should play..

26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    don't get caught up in the whole chemistry thing, it's pretty unprecedented territory their in at this point, use any bit of time you can get, just find the best five.

27. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

oh really? now I remember they could barely stand each other and weren't on the same page at all. it has been noted that Philbin did not want Martin and didn't think he was an NFL caliber player.

72 Dolphins and dolfan22 like this.