1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy Stats

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by keithjackson, Aug 16, 2014.

1. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Last year, we scored an average of 2.7 points in the first quarter, which was the lowest in the league (#32). (That number dropped to an abysmal 1.6 at home!)

The second quarter was another story, and we would control 56% of possession, which was the league's best (#1).

Then in have fourth quarter, our possession would drop to 41.7%, which was again an NFL worst (#32).

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Lack of game planning, but solid in game adjusting sounds like the issue for #1. #2? A mystery

3. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Whoa Nelly!

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    First paragraph: I'd agree with what Fin-O said.

Second Paragraph: Scores were still close, good adjustments and keeping the defense offbalance.

Third: I'd say lack of innovation and bad playcalling. By the time the fourth quarter rolls around a defense has seen you three quarters already. If you've been generally predictable it helps them get off the field at this point. Also out lack of running game didn't help us chew clock. Then when we were down teams could just tee off against our abysmal line.

IMO Football is more about adjusting to adjustments than the original adjustments themselves.

For example you exploit a small issue in a defense and it works for a few series. Okay well now any coordinator worth his salt fixes it. Now you have to find a new adjustment to make. IMO This is where Sherman crashed in flames.

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'd add that in the 4th quarter, guys like Clabo were looking pretty worn down and it had a dramatic effect on the ability of our offense to move the ball.

6. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Not just the offense, the defense really struggles to get off the field on 3rd down, especially late in the game. We couldn't stop the run, teams would just eat up clock late.

7. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i don't know what these numbers mean 3 weeks before the season opener, with a complete new offense....welcome to last year i guess

8. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

If the defense is at least as good as last year, and there's nothing so far to suggest it won't be (same strong DL, strong secondary, turd LBs), and the offense shows as advertised, those 1st and 4th quarter statistics should improve drastically. Unless Lazor proves he can't make adjustments.

9. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Hopefully Lazor's impact can be felt on opening drives, just like the first preseason game.

I can't find the stat anywhere, but last year we were one of the best teams in the two minute drill. So if we put it all together, we could be dangerous.