1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foles having a so so camp in philly

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Aug 12, 2014.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I have been reading how Nick foles was having a not so great camp in philly and his first pre season game he threw 2 picks and should have had a third.
    Tannehill with the exception of the two days last week with the ints has been having a great camp.Could lazor be the reason foles is struggling and tanny is thriving.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Let's hope so. Though part of me feels like the Lazor hype is only setting up massive expectations with good chance of jynx in the end.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

3. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

It certainly at least points in that direction, but could be just camp stuff. I'm just damn glad we got Lazor.

4. PhinFan1968

That's the standard Dolphins Fan PTSD talkin'...take some good drugs and get on the ride!

5. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Didn't the Packers offense struggle when we got Philbin?

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I think Foles will be fine without Lazor. Kelly's system is a king maker. Going to be hard for Foles to fail. Besides, its stillpreseason early in preseason... No reason for anyone to panic.

Bpk likes this.
  7. PhinFan1968

Ya, they likely have the same guy calling the plays (have no idea...don't really care) so they'll probably be fine.

8. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    you might tell this our fans who are crying about our LB's after one ****ing game....preseason game that is

GMJohnson likes this.
  9. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I don't take anything that happens in training camp or preseason games very seriously. It is and always has been about the regular season. So I will just wait to see how the regular season unfolds before I start making any assessment of how good Lazor is as an NFL OC and whether or not his departure from the Eagles has had a negative effect on Foles.

Personally I think the departure of Kelly would have a big impact on Foles and the Eagles offense, but Lazor was only the QB's coach for the Eagles. I just don't think losing a QB coach for a team is that big a deal, but I guess we will see.

10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX

I think it is completely within the realm of reasonableness that Foles has a much worse year this year without tying it to the loss of Lazor. I mean is TD/INT ratio was just so high one would almost have to think he'll never repeat it (kind of like how Marino was never able to repeat his 1984 season).

With that said though, I'm pretty sure that CK did a study before that showed preseason does matter for QBs. It was something like if a QB didn't have an 85 or 90 passer rating after the preseason (and I'm sure there was a min. number of attempts in the study) then he was pretty much a lock to not have a good regular season. Now, it was also shown that if a QB did have a high enough rating it wasn't a lock that he'd have a good season, but to have any hope, I think your QB needs to have a good preseason.

rafael and cuchulainn like this.
  11. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Mistakes are going to happen in preseason because coaches are calling plays that they are experimenting with.. I see Foles having a great season this year and the Eagles winning their division.

Joey Harrington was practically the league MVP in preseason and he did nothing in this league.

12. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'd believe this. Most defenses play pretty vanilla and just work on basics. If your starting QB can't play well against that I'd imagine he's in for a tough ride.

13. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Had those linebackers had the kind of season Nick Foles had in 2013, I think fans would cut them some slack. When it looks like they are continuing to play exactly as they played in 2013 - which is like dog ****, then I think fans are justified in some general angst over the performance.

Eop05 likes this.
  14. PhinFan1968

They were pretty bad last year between the 20s, I'd agree. Then when we got in the redzone, with stuff more bunched up, the D "overall" held pretty well...our secondary did some ballin'.

15. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    THIS. Foles may throw similar # TDs, and might still have a good TD/INT ratio in Chip Kelly's system, but I don't see the ratio being that crazy again.

16. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Yup agreed, it's still a live game setting, no longer just practice where mistakes should be made - players should be able to perform well if they are expected to do the same in a season game. Hell, guys get cut or make the team over their performances. I seem to recall the year Aaron Rodgers broke out, he was lighting it up in preseason. That always sticks out to me when folks say "It's only preseason". Still, agree 1 game is too small a sample to judge

17. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    They're probably giving him tough situations to work with in practice. He will be fine in games. That system sets the QB up to succeed with wide open, easy reads. Brilliant coaching.

18. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Philly has been asking Foles to throw into tighter windows in practice and in the preseason. He is working on the sorts throws he ordinarily won't attempt in a meaningful game until a two minute drill.

If that is unknown to the beat reporters, then yeah, it would seem like an up and down camp.

19. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I wouldn't go that far.
    Mike Vick is currently backing up Geno Smith... made him more of a jester than a king.

20. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think good QB's have good seasons and bad QB's have bad seasons and it really has nothing to do with how they played during the preseason. In fact most of the top tier QB's don't play much in the preseason and yet they continue to have success in the regular season and in the playoffs. That is why they are franchise type QB's to begin with.

As far as Foles and the 2014 season is concerned. I agree that Foles will have a hard time following up his success of last year with statistics which will be similar or better than last year. Of course I really don't see any QB in the NFL who will have a TD to interception ratio as good as Foles was last year. Even if Foles should have a worse season this year, I would see that as more of a result of not having DeSean Jackson on the Eagles, than it will be because Lazor is no longer his QB coach.

If Lazor had actually been calling plays last year and the Eagles offense played worse this year, I could see blaming that on the loss of Lazor. Since Kelly called the plays last year and will again this year, I don't think the loss of Lazor will have any effective on Foles or the Eagles offense. The cutting of Jackson will come back to bite Kelly in the butt, IMO.

21. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Mike Vick was playing well within the system before his injury. They had no reason to keep him with contract being what it was and with the emergence of Foles. It was a no brainer letting Vick go at that point. And the NYJ don't run Kelly's system, so...

22. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I just think Tanny is better than Foles anyway.

23. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    So much for that so-so camp. Damn this offense can groove man. Impressive to watch when it gets humming.

Bring us this offense, Bill!

24. PhinFan1968

Huh? He's been sloppy/off. That pass to for the TD, Shadey made a VN catch.

The offense looks awesome though.

25. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know if we are seeing the same philosophies in Miami as you see in Philly. The formations and play designs are similar but the philosophies, teaching and innovation may differ.

Then again this is Philly's dress rehearsal night and Miami hasn't had theirs yet.

I think we will get a good idea of the potency of this offense and whether it's similar to Chip's this weekend. The third preseason game was the one where the Eagles really showed that potency last year (32 points), even though it was the first year running the system.

26. PhinFan1968

If we can get an RB into space as much as they are, I like. Now we just need a Shady haha.

27. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    All 3 RB have ran well. (Blount, Bell and McCoy.) We don't have that, yet.

28. PhinFan1968

Couple of 'em are chasing Doritos though...

Rocky Raccoon and TooGoodForDez like this.
  29. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Two-back play with a WR as one of the backs.

30. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    So now based on three preseason games in which Tannehill has only led his team to one TD, which was on the first drive of the first preseason game. How do you think CK would view the season ahead for Tannehill?

You certainly can't look at the lack of scoring with Tannehill at the QB position and call this a good preseason for him. Especially when he failed to get the offense into the end zone against one of the worst defenses in the NFL last night.

The only reason Tannehill even has a rating over 80 right now is based on that one TD drive he had against the Falcons. Other than that TD drive, his rating would easily fall well below the 85-90 range you pointed out CK says is needed to project a good regular season for a QB.

Personally I think preseason games don't mean much, one way or the other. Good QB's play well during the season and bad QB's don't, IMO. Hopefully Tannehill will prove this year that he is a good QB and this preseason meant absolutely zilch in regards to how productive he will be in the regular season.

31. PhinFan1968

He said if a QB didn't have an 85 to 90 QB rating minimum they'd have a bad season. Tannehill made that number.

32. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I had written more comments and for some reason they didn't appear the first time I hit enter. You will notice that I don't really give much credence to how QB's play in the preseason. I only care how they play once the regular season starts.

I haven't given up on Tannehill, but I expect him to lead this team to the playoffs this year. If he fails to do so, it will probably be time to look for a new QB of the future in the 2015 draft. Three years as a starting QB in the NFL is plenty of time to judge any QB. So for Tannehill, this is the year he needs to prove he deserves to be a starting QB in the NFL.

PhinFan1968 likes this.