1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dion Jordan for Alex Boone

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Would you even begin to consider this trade??

If so, would you do it straight up or tweak it?

I would probably do this trade seeing as how our run blocking is abysmal, and Boone is consistently at the top of the league in run blocking.

I would offer Dallas Thomas and Jordan for Boone and a 3rd round pick. If it were not for the suspension I would ask for a lot more.

2. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i would never ever trade a DE for a Guard, he wants to get paid too, so the economics are also a concern...so HELL NO !!

3. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    No, poor scheme fit. More of a power, driver blocker. We need more athletic zone blockers. If this was for Mike Iupati then sure but not for Boone.

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Nope. I don't want to trade Dion Jordan for peanuts because people are angry at him for not winning DROY.

Ducken, ToddPhin, GMJohnson and 3 others like this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Cocaine is a helluva drug.......

6. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Trade a 24 year old with all-pro potential at one of the most important positions on the field for a solid starter with minimal upside at one of the least important positions on the field where the Dolphins have spent two consecutive 3rd round picks? No thanks.

ToddPhin, cuchulainn, Boik14 and 2 others like this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I wouldn't trade Dion Jordan but I would explore the option if there is one..

8. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I hope they trade him for his sake. It looks like they are on pace to ruin him, kinda like Merling.

9. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    youre willing to put another 8+ Million into the oline, after albert signed his deal and we are at least have to consider extending pouncey at some point ?

or explore the option trading jordan ?

dolfan22 likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    A couple of months back we were talking about Dion Jordan for the Eagles' 1st round pick PLUS Brandon Graham. I was for it. Most people here were strongly against it.

Now we're talking about Dion Jordan for...ALEX BOONE?

Smh.

Ducken, Bpk, unifiedtheory and 10 others like this.
  11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    explore, what range does he want....the only guy making any money on our oline is Albert..

It's about trying to win this year...we can franchise Pouncey if we need to..explore..

12. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    What would be the best we could get for him now? Especially with four game suspension.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    My guess is a 3rd round pick or a player who is of similar status.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  14. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Please give some examples of a player of similar status.

15. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Prbly Justin Pugh.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    No I was thinking a former 1st round player who isn't living up to expectations yet.

Already mentioned one example, Brandon Graham.

17. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    You trade for Boone if you are ready and able to pay him what he wants, and you think he is worth it. Trouble is we have a few players ourselves looking for a lot of money too coming up, and adding another to a list that is already longer than what we can probably afford is a problematic idea.

If we are looking to trade, then sensibly it would involve players on our side also due a big salary increase next offseason, rather than someone locked up on a rookie contract for multiple years. I'm not suggesting we trade him for Boone, but Odrick is a player in the sort of contract situation where possibly trading him becomes an option.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't understand Coyles mentality with this player, quite frankly, it's really bothering me, making him gain weight, sticking him at one position and making him do the same thing..

This player needs to run and hunt..he needs to cover, he needs to play in the middle of the field, sideline to sideline, he needs to move around the formation, I've said since college film, to get his best he's a freestyler, also, he needed to stay on a gradual progression of muscle gain..not this 6month PED plan.

Fu@&ing making him gain some stupid weight to set an edge better is just plain dumb and he's gonna waste this player..

Coyle needs to go back and see where and how chip Kelly deployed the skillset.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That's a interesting swap..have to consider that one if it presented itself..

It would depend on how high they are on Johnson from lsu.

20. normaldude

normaldude Active Member

Oct 13, 2009
    If Terrence Fede continues to shine, then I think we can certainly trade one of our DEs.

Dion Jordan might not have a natural every-down position in a 4-3 defense, but he could be a star in a 3-4 defense.

21. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Sorry, one preseason game is not the barometer you want to use when deciding who to trade and who to keep.

ToddPhin, FanMarino and djphinfan like this.
  22. normaldude

normaldude Active Member

Oct 13, 2009
    That's why I said..

If Terrence Fede continues to shine, then I think we can certainly trade one of our DEs.

23. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    To be fair, Coyle did drop Jordan into coverage during the game Friday. And, it's still the preseason; I'm sure Coyle's not planning on tipping his hand as it relates to Dion Jordan. I, for one, thought he played the run pretty well; certainly better than last year. His pass-rush is lacking, which is a bit concerning at this point, but I think it's foolish for anyone to pass judgement on him after one preseason game.

24. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I am not a big fan of Coyle as a defensive coordinator. The New Orleans game left a really bad taste in my mouth.

25. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thing is, do we know Fede will be playing inside or out?

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't remember Dion Jordan dropping into coverage at all Friday and Pro Football Focus didn't record a single of his snaps as a coverage snap.

27. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Besides the fact that DE's carry more value than guards, I'm not a big fan of the idea of selling low unless you're absolutely sure he'll never amount to much.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Here's where I'm at, I really believe Dion Jordan needs to play a very very versatile role to be successful and to maximize his skillset, If Coyle wanted to use him like that, why advise the 20 lb weight gain?

I saw no versatility on Friday, just basically banging a head against a wall..now if that's on purpose to hide stuff, ok, but gaining weight is not going to make him more versatile.

29. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Is it possible Coyle was working him on a particular fundamental segment that he wanted to see a lot of, so they had him shaded a particular way for that game?

Edit: How did PFF rate him, if you have the info?

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    whatta you mean.?

31. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You missed my point: you don't even have enough data to claim he's shining.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    whatever Coyle was doing was not something I agree with..

I think this is a unique player that needs to see the field, react and run, making grounds with tremendous short area explosiveness and length..if that's the case then why not get him reps from that perspective.? If I'm right, then why make the player gain 20 lbs..

There is some hope, he did play in multiple positions last year, and get this, did very well in those various roles when given the chances..but the weight gain stuff, and the talk of him playing more at def end makes me think twice..

33. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Funny how I was just reading the comments section on this The Phinsider post,
    and stumbled across this:

I only watched the first quarter, so I can't check if what the poster says is right or not...

ckparrothead likes this.
  34. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He did it on the 3rd & 13 play with 11:57 (or the 9:54 mark on the clip) in the second quarter. Just dropped back into zone coverage and no one entered his zone. Would that be why PFF doesn't have one listed?

At the snap he's standing up over the LG and bails immediately.

[video=youtube;VP5V73EN2-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP5V73EN2-I#t=600[/video]

Couldn't get the time URL to copy, sorry.

ckparrothead likes this.
  35. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I don't like his game plans, I don't think he matches personnel strengths to the scheme well, and in my opinion, his position coaches do a better job making up for what he misses. However, in fairness to him, I might be completely wrong and it is all about the personnel. I don't know, but I just don't think he makes game day adjustments well.

36. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    To that I'd say that I'd hope they'd want him to be able to play DE from a traditional standpoint to get him on the field more. If he can reach his potential as a pass-rusher, then he's going to be starting over OV. I think ultimately that allows him to play sort of like Jason Taylor did in Nick Saban's defense, plus you can align him as needed on 3rd downs like they did last year. The weight gain, as I think both Coyle and Philbin have intimated, was to help him against the run. I'd say that based on Friday night's game, it worked. But, it's not like he came out of Oregon an all-world pass-rusher. We knew he had work to do, and still does. I'll be that comes in time, and I'm guessing it's probably going to be later this year or even next year before that really starts to shine through. Just my thoughts.

37. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    If the Dolphins are going to continue to play Jordan at the DE position in a 4-3, instead of playing him as an outside LB in a 3-4, I have no problem trading Jordan. I just don't see him ever being anything but an average DE in the NFL.

I think he could be a very good OLB in a 3-4 defense, but obviously the Dolphins have no interest in this style defense.

I think a lot of people who think Jordan is the next coming of Jason Taylor are going to be severely disappointed. I think when all is said and done, the trading up and giving up the Dolphins pick in the first round and a second round pick to draft Jordan, will be seen as another giant mistake in the Ireland era.

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Idk Ro, I'm frustrated because I don't believe he needed to gain weight, I dont believe in taking certain things away from his overall game just so he can set the edge better, give this dude a clean healthy shoulder and hard natural training, and whatever his body would turn into, I'm happy..his physique Is all world, and I mean that, no one has the body potential of Dion Jordan, that's not something you fu@& with..you just let it mature and strengthen along the way.

Dion Jordan has plenty of natural strength, length and leverage potential to set the edge just fine without having to just add weight to rectify a false issue..

Once again, the one rep from the middle he did drop back he looked smooth as hell, I guess I'll just hope that one rep he did have from the middle of the field will be happening a lot more..

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    we cannot afford that to be the case..he's our damn third overall pick, we have to at least find out what his skillset does best and adapt the scheme around it.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  40. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Can we at least PLAY the kid and see how he does before we dump him? I mean he had limited snaps last year and he will be suspended this year for 4 games, can we see him on the field, healthy and being put in a position to make plays before we ship him off?

Fin-Omenal likes this.