1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Stewart kills 20 year old after running him over on the racetrack

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Clark Kent, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-stewart-ran-over-opposing-driver-during-1618893708/all

Video on the site.

Tony and Kevin Ward jr. got into an accident. Ward gets out of his car and starts walking around on the track pointing at him and then at his head. As in, Tony should use his. Tony ignores this advice and instead hits the throttle, and turns right (on an oval track designed for left turns) and runs Ward down, collecting him beneath his car/tires, and sending him flipping 25-50 yards.

Tony Stewart is known hot head and *******. Has been involved in many incidents over his career in which he acted like an ******* before, during, and after an incident/event took place.

While I don't know if Tony intended to run him down with his sprint car, I suspect he was trying to at least scare the kid with a fly by and instead, accidentally ran him over.

Sheriff's office is asking anyone with amateur video to send it in.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Wow. Stupidity abound. That kid just earned his Darwin Award, RIP.

Tony's going away for a while.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

3. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The video is pretty brutal. Wish i didnt watch it.

Tone_E likes this.
  4. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Tony Stewart is racing today too, I guess his conscious is clear already

5. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What an *******.
    Deliberate or not, at least show some respect to the dead guys family.

Tone_E, MikeHoncho and Ronnie Bass like this.
  6. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Tony has stepped out of the 14 today, Reagan Smith is driving the 14.

jdallen1222 likes this.
  7. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I saw the video and find it very difficult to blame the driver.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  8. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Unless this kid jumped in front of the car, how is he not in jail for vehicular homicide?

9. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    The kid jumped in front of the car. :(

It was a poorly lit dirt track and the kid was wearing a dark suit. He gets spun out, and then hops out of his car and RUNS into the middle of the track. Another driver almost hit him. The driver who hit him didn't swerve like some people said -- his sprint car fishtails after the kid goes under his right front tire.

Pretty awful stuff but it's not like Stewart gunned the engine and swerved to hit this kid who was standing on the edge of the track.

10. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pretty sure the caution flag was waved but... you can also ask yourself how smart was this Kevin Ward?

It's night time, it's dark, you're racing, the lights aren't very bright (very dim actually for a dirt track), and you're walking on the track in a dark suit..

Granted I'm sure every driver has 20/20 vision, but you're not doing the drivers any favors by walking in a dark suit without any sort of reflection on you, especially when you're walking in a curve..

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The account that got me was that of Tyler Graves who is also a race car driver and so he tried to explain what happened.

He said that as racers they know that when they're going low speed like they were under the yellow flag and then they throttle it suddenly, that causes the car to "set sideways". This is something they know. When Tony passed Kevin Ward who was gesturing at him angrily on the track, Tony throttled his car and so the car set sideways. This pulled Kevin under the rear wheel.

It is at the very least reckless endangerment. There is more than enough witness testimonial who know what it sounds like when a racer throttles his engine and identified that Tony specifically throttled his engine as he was passing Ward. That was an act of reckless endangerment, IMO.

The fact that NASCAR was going to let him race today is nothing short of despicable. Stewart made the decision himself not an hour ago (likely under tons of fire) not to race today. NASCAR should have made that decision for him. No wonder NASCAR is fading so fast.

dolphindebby, Bumrush, Mainge and 3 others like this.
  12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It was stupid of Kevin Ward to go after him like that, but that doesn't change the fact that Tony Stewart made a decision and acted in a manner that endangered Ward even further. He throttled his engine right as he passed Ward. Multiple witnesses reported it. One is a race car driver and said that as drivers they know that when they throttle their engine at low speed it causes the car to set sideways.

Mainge likes this.
  13. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Wow, just terrible.

steveincolorado likes this.
  14. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    seems to me like stewart accelerates.

ckparrothead likes this.
  15. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Horrible incident all around, but unless youve been to one of these dirt races at the local tracks at night it hard to pass judgement on Stewart...the kids actions were nothing short of grandstanding because of a Stewarts reputation and status im sure. Not a racing fan at all, but i ve been to few races on our local track that stewart even races at annually prior to the Brickyard......the young local racers here do the same stuff to real pros...but ive never seen any get so exaggerated and so close in those similar conditions.....hard to believe it was intentional. But hey ya never know

16. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Yep but one could argue he saw the guy right at the last moment and tried to gun it left...thise cars are so powerful they lift...of course he knows that...and is very possibly the best short dirt track racer maybe ever....doesnt chamge the fact that mistakes happen and that kid shouldve never did that..so sad

17. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    i could argue a lot of things. STill going to be hard to believable when you're going faster and everyone else is slowing down.

ckparrothead likes this.
  18. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Youre absolutely right.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  19. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    the thing that bugs the **** out of me is you see the car right before stewarts slow down a lot due to the kid being around. My guess would be stewart was trying to **** with the kid but damn.

Tone_E and ckparrothead like this.
  20. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Yeah thats the aspect in question for sure. I think it was probably his intention to mess witg him...but as legal manner im sure his attorneys. ..if need be...will successfully argue my point above. Just a horrible incident in every single way

21. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Yeah but I'm sorry you don't mess with someone with a speeding car. The same way you don't wave a loaded gun at someone you want to "mess with".

Intentional or not, its murder and he should do serious jail time.

MikeHoncho and Mainge like this.
  22. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I never have, but when you have other drivers, who know better than anyone else what it's like to see at a track at night, suggesting that Stewart saw him, it's pretty damning evidence IMO. I would hope Stewart didn't see him, but it certainly seems like he did and was trying to mess with him. Really, really sad regardless.

Intentional or not actually does matter in a murder charge. It would most likely end up being manslaughter unless the prosecution and jury feels Tony wanted to kill him.

ckparrothead likes this.
  23. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Well I did mean manslaughter I'm just on my phone and typing fast :lol:

What I meant was intentional or not, he killed a man with reckless action anddeserves some jail time.

sports24/7 likes this.
  24. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    To be fair, the sport is literally people messing with others in speeding cars. In this case, I don't doubt that Stewart was trying to **** with the kid, but that doesn't mean he's guilty of murder.

I think wreckless endangerment is about right, just from what I saw. That said, I have a hard time seeing Stewart convicted here. There definitely is room for reasonable doubt here.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

25. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Also, what precedent do we have for actions that occured during a sporting match? This is going to be a fascinating trial.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

26. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    this is what im trying to convey...guess I shouldve stated my postion literally and not nuanced.

criminally he will get off I suppose...but in civil court you might as well consider his wealth already gone.

27. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    correct on all accounts...

28. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I don't know about anyone else, but if I have something in front of my car that I need to dodge, I don't slam on the gas as I try and get out of the way.

29. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    From a poster on Reddit some good stuff here.....

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/2d4rh9/tony_stewart_hits_sprint_car_driver_kevin_ward_jr/

Youtube link to how bad visibility is on a mud track like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFaUdUyPkAQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5m7s

Not saying guilty or innocent one way or another, but to immediately point that Tony is a murderer or at fault here, is wayyyyy too quick.

30. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Well being in a Nissan Alltima on a asphalt road, is not even the same planet as these mud racing cars, on raced-on mud. Supposedly braking would cause him to slide and totally crush him with the car, they have to basically drift around every turn using gravity and momentum to turn the correct way. Just saying "hey he shouldve hit the brakes" is as irrelevant as saying "he shouldve used springs to jump over him"

31. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Well I didnt say he should of hit the brakes.

Also, the "drifting" aspect is done at high speeds. You see the car before turn toward the inside of the track without "fish tailing" or "sliding" no problem.

ckparrothead likes this.
  32. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    have to agree with this. I cant flat out state anything...i have seen tracks like this.... given the track setup and conditions its dangerous for all involved..including spectators

33. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    That car also could have been blocking Tonys view of this guy, who is a ****ing idiot for getting out of his car and trying to fist fight a race car. Dude was a moron.

Dim lit track, black suit, mud track, at night....just asking for something bad to happen.

34. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Well obviously I would agree there. I am not saying he is guilty of murder. But I also think its ridiculous to rule it a complete accident right now as well.

35. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    he should've hit the brakes or you know, not accelerated.

ckparrothead likes this.
  36. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Or you know, we don't know if he was accelerating to hit the guy, or it was, you know, a human reaction to accelerate to get out of the way....but you read his thoughts so you know exactly his intentions.

37. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    you obviously don't know the you know difference between letting of the gas and naturally braking versus you know hitting the gas and accelerating. but you know, you can obviously have done your you know fair share of tokyo drifting. you know.

38. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Cause naturally braking works on a mud track in a drift car when you see someone at the last second, thats the first thing any normal person would do is

"ohhhhh ****!!!!!!" and just casually let off the gas and sit there. No way a human would flinch and react by gunning it and turning left to miss this person he just saw.

39. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    if there's some physics principle you see that shows you will continue to accelerate without force, I'd love to hear it. Even on mud track he would lose some force. You sure as hell wouldn't hear the engine revving as seems to be the case here.

the only way I can justify him hitting the accelerator is if he panicked and hit the wrong pedal. gunning it to go around a person makes no sense, especially since these guys know they can fishtail more so on a dirt track.

40. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    On these type of qualifying races, are there camera's in the vehicles like a regular stock racecar would have? It would be interesting to see Tony's point of view from his car if video exists..