1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Unlucky 13, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    OMG this movie is so awesome. I'm a big Marvel guy, and went in with expectations that it would be good, but it blew those away in a very good way. Excellent throughout - every second. Great acting, writing, comedic timing, effects, heart. Just awesome. All five of the main characters were terrific, and they have excellent actors in secondary roles as well. I went in expecting a fun movie that would be part of the greater Marvel universe, but came out with a movie that may be one of my all time favorites. I think that highly of it. 9+/10 stars. Highly recommend if you were on the fence. :up:

Not So Fast and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  2. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    I am groot/10

3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    saw it in IMAX 3D last night, unbelievable. loved it.
    of course, that was after drinking 5 pints and stumbling into the movie theater.

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    One thing I loved about Guardians of the Galaxy, is that it helps prove the myth that darker is better.

Not all super hero movies need to be dark to be good. In fact some super hero movies (Superman) are hurt by doing the darker route.

It is not about being "dark" or "campy". You can make a great campy Superhero movie (Spider-Man) or a great dark super hero movie (The Dark Knight), what matters is have the essentials for a movie. A plot that makes sense and you can follow. Characters who are enjoyable to watch and are grounded enough to be believable (for instance reacting to seeing your truck destroyed). Good writing and directing.

basically make a good movie and people will like it. Make a bad movie and people will hate it. Doesn't matter if it is dark or campy, just needs to be enjoyable.

eltos_lightfoot and rafael like this.
  5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Saw Spiderman 2 on my flight out to San Fran (so night before I saw guardians of the galaxy). Was not a fan of Spiderman 2 at all. surprisingly, I didn't dislike Garfield as P Parker as much as I anticipated, but the remaining cast (outside of H Osbourne) was pathetic. I didn't really see the point of recruiting a big name like Giamatti to play the Rhino and then only giving him a couple of minutes in the movie, why not leave it out entirely?

6. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Giamatti was pretty much campaigning to get that role. He's a huge Rhino fan (You can find videos online of him stating that long before he was ever associated with the movie).

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There's supposed to be a movie about the Sinister 6. If it goes through, he'll be in that.

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I still don't get how that is going to be a movie.

9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I have to really disagree. I felt that the movie was the absolute opposite of dark, and thats one reason that I loved it so much. Other than the opening scenes that set the background for Peter, it was upbeat and fast paced for the most part, and I thought that Quill was a wonderful, goofy, fun character. The material was light and could get laughs, even through dark topics.

I actually thought of some of the threads on the board talking about dark shows and movies, and thought of Guardians as a shining example of how something could be the polar opposite and be wonderful. I couldn't help but think of Firefly at numerous points, and even though Whedon only had a minor role in the movie, I would imagine that James Gunn was heavily influenced by him.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I meant what you said.

11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    ok cool. :knucks:

12. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Latest is that Marvel is going to greenlight an Inhumans movie.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So far, the first part of my prediction is coming true:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/guardians-galaxy-director-hints-identity-star-lords-dad-return-thanos/#!bC1lb3

14. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Gotta try and steal some X-Men thunder...

Since Marvel can't use the word "mutants" in their movies, Inhumans is a pretty safe bet, IMO...

15. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I liked the movie. Was wondering who Peter's dad was the whole time.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Looks like they are going with "miracles"

Colorado Dolfan likes this.